Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Ross develops quickly
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

If Ross develops quickly

Aug 12, 2018, 4:02 PM

As he is talented enough to do, we may see him line up as a tight end in certain situations. At six four he has the size to operate from that position. I can see the Tigers putting in some special routes that would take advantage of his size against smaller corners or line backers. He definately has the ball skills to make big plays from anywhere on the field.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would like to see him and Tee on the field together.

Aug 12, 2018, 4:06 PM

That’s a nightmare for an opposing DC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he plays a lot but te he is not***

Aug 12, 2018, 4:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think he plays a lot but te he is not***

Aug 12, 2018, 4:12 PM

He definately isn’t a tight end but imagine the defense seeing him lined up as one! Anything you can do to add confusion is a plus ... provided you can execute.

Ross is only training at one WR position

Aug 12, 2018, 4:12 PM

Tee Higgins and other receivers (Overton, etc) are training at all WR positions. Meaning, you're more likely to see one of the more experienced WRs moved around to take advantage of match up opportunities.

I think Braden Galloway will emerge as a threat in passing game from the TE position. He is the only TE on our roster with receiving skills similar to Jordan Leggett.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Ross is only training at one WR position

Aug 12, 2018, 4:16 PM

Thanks for reminding me of how little I know.

Don't sell yourself short.......

Aug 12, 2018, 6:00 PM

Putting either Ross or Higgins at the TE position is possible, even if not likely. I would also like to see both of them on the field at the same time and it makes sense to have one at the 9 position and the other at the 5, 2 or TE position. Yes, we have others who can fit those positions, but the advantage of having more than one 6'3"+ receiver who can run good routes, can high point the ball and is fast, is deadly to a secondary - particularly when the field safety and corner are occupied with 2 WRs on the other side and the 9 and TE can work on the boundary side and down the seam. You don't have to block from the TE position if the play call is designed to use the TE as a receiver. What makes it work is the ability to shake the LB and having other receivers to keep the attention of the safeties. If the defense decides to cover the TE with the field (free) safety, the 5-slant or 2-deep routes are open. If they cover the deep field quarter with the safety, the TE has the middle seam to himself. If the field CB and safety cover double WRs, the out-route is completely open to the TE.

We did not use the TE effectively at all last year - perhaps because none of them could run good routes or catch the ball. I didn't see that they blocked particularly well, either. If we can get something going at that position, we will be a whole lot better this year.

Jordan Leggett wasn't a very good inside blocker at all, but was very effective as a receiver and because he was feared in the secondary, it kept the secondary honest and the safeties in place instead of coming down on the box - which gave us an effective running game. We need another good receiver in that spot at times and if he can block, so much the better.

Re: Don't sell yourself short.......

Aug 12, 2018, 6:19 PM

Leggett might not have been a good blocker but at least he was 250 and could chip a DE or LB. If Ross lined up as a TE at 205 he would get destroyed at the LOS and wouldn't make it downfield.

Aug 12, 2018, 6:45 PM

Yes, depending on how much chipping they wanted to do, it could not go well, but given a good WR's ability to avoid the jamand gain separation, weight might no be so important.

Aug 12, 2018, 7:24 PM

So I think you just want a 4 WR set and not really have a TE?

Aug 12, 2018, 7:48 PM

Sometimes, yes - but not always. The TE should be a part of the blocking scheme at the point of attack on running downs, but can be used on passing downs as the extra receiver.

Aug 13, 2018, 2:35 PM

But a WR lined up in the TE spot, as has been suggested of Ross, just indicates that it is going to be a passing play. He won't be able to consistently block a DE or LB at 205 lbs so why line him up inside in the first place. If you want the extra receiver just line him up as so.

Aug 12, 2018, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't sell yourself short....... ]

Not only that problem, but if a WR lines up at TE we are tipping our hand that it's a pass play. The defesne would easily be able to adjust, and DL could pin their ears back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2018, 8:37 PM

Right - and after a D showed they thought the lightweight TE meant a pass play was coming, we put him in and run zone read, throw the bubble screen or check to 4 vertical routes.

Aug 13, 2018, 3:16 PM

You guys just don’t get it. Using this alignment would likely force the defense to make an adjustment. Once you have seen how your opponent reacts to different looks you can adapt your play calling if you spot a weakness. If you show a new look at some time you will have to attack to further keep them guessing. For instance, if you line Ross up near the
LOS at some point you will have to throw to him.
I believe it was Bowden who once said”football is like a game of chess”. That is one thing that he got right..... in the opinion of this fan who is often out in left field!

Re: If Ross develops quickly

Aug 12, 2018, 4:24 PM

Just like Higgins last season Ross will get a chance to play .
Let’s hope he has a Sammy like Freshman year

Aug 12, 2018, 7:06 PM

He's currently 207 pounds. He'd get blown up by DEs and LBs if he were to line up at TE.

Aug 12, 2018, 7:44 PM

On run plays, yes - but not on passing downs.

Aug 12, 2018, 8:01 PM

You just never know what a different look will do.... Until you try it!
Bama gave us a lot of new looks and lt must have worked! The extra OL certainly worked for them!
Give the opponent something to think about that they haven't seen on film and you should have a bit of an advantage.

Aug 12, 2018, 9:39 PM

Man what would it look like to let board members set the personnel and call the plays.

Christian Wilkins would play every position on the field, offense and defense.

Aug 12, 2018, 9:55 PM

Certainly don’t expect to see any of this against Furman in Week 1.

Maybe a new look in Week 2 in College Station, if necessary. Ross just needs to get a grasp sof what’s going on out there on the field for now.........and allow him to play his position. After what I saw him do on Saturday at the scrimmage I just want to see him get on the field and make plays.

#8 is going to be special. Ross is a “baller”. Just get the ball to him and watch!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic