Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have to disagree with some of you about Morris
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

I have to disagree with some of you about Morris

Dec 9, 2017, 10:01 AM

And what he meant to Clemson. It’s like Dabo said at the time, it wasn’t Morris system , it was Clemson’s. The real champion and person that really helped Dabo turn the corner wasn’t Morris. Dabo could have found any of several offensive coordinators. The real credit outside Dabo is mr all go no quit champion defensive coordinator of worlds Brent Venables himself. That guy is worth 50 Morris’s.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have to disagree with some of you about Morris

Dec 9, 2017, 10:03 AM

This is your second thread about this. Are you bitter over Coach Morris leaving or something? Did Coach Morris step on your cat or what?

This is your second thread about this. Are you bitter over Coach Morris leaving or something? Did Coach Morris step on your cat or what?

Seems like it's Clemson's system that we largely borrowed

from Chad Morris. Without him coming here to teach the system hands on, how well do you think we would've installed it?

Re: Seems like it's Clemson's system that we largely borrowed

Dec 9, 2017, 10:05 AM

You sound like no body else can call plays

There's a heckuva more to installing an entirely new offense

Dec 9, 2017, 10:08 AM

than calling plays.

Re: There's a heckuva more to installing an entirely new offense

Dec 9, 2017, 10:10 AM

Yes and Dabo could have found someone else to help do it. It was Dabo vision for this program not chads .

And if he had we would be giving that guy credit and not

Dec 9, 2017, 10:14 AM

Chad. So what?

While our offense definitely needed a new direction from the

Dec 9, 2017, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Seems like it's Clemson's system that we largely borrowed ]

B.Napier offense from 2009 and 2010, I was not upset to see Morris go after 2014.

Yes, he instantly opened up our offense, but look at the WR's he had to work with at Clemson, Nuk Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, M. Bryant, Charone Peake, RB's and TE's like A. Ellington, and Dwayne Allen. All that, and a very good QB in Tajh Boyd.

It wasn't like took over with limited talent and created a great offense. He took over a very talented offensive unit, that needed some direction.

My biggest complaint with Morris, is the same one my Auburn grad wife has with Gus Malzahn, way too many trick plays that seldom work. Morris and Makzahn both can't help themselves. They can be zipping along in a great drive, get down inside the opponents 20 yard line, and attempt a WR pass. I think Sammy Watkins was like 0-3 on those with at least 2 ints. Anybody remember our first drive against SCAR in 2013? We are driving through SCAR like a hot knife through butter, we get down to around their 20 yard line and he calls a trick play for Sammy to throw the ball. The result, and int in the end zone. Fast forward to the very next game, the Orange Bowl against Ohio State, Morris calls the exact same play, with the exact same result, and int in the end zone

The problem with all that, is that is wasn't necessary. If you are physically dominating an opponent, keep the trick plays in your pocket. Watching Malzahn doing the same thing at Auburn is frustrating for my wife. His trick plays, just like Morris, seldom work and more often than not are drive killers. The problem is, neither Morris or Malzahn can help themselves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We will do that at times.

Dec 9, 2017, 10:34 AM

First drive against SC this year we called the trick TE screen pass with the OL not moving and lost 10 yards.

still****

Dec 9, 2017, 10:34 AM

True, but not nearly as much as Morris. There would be

Dec 9, 2017, 10:56 AM

at least two per game with Morris, and not always WR passes, but double reverses, laterals then a downfield pass etc... I would be going nuts every time we tried one because they almost never worked and usually had a disastrous outcome (turnover or lost yardage). I believe we ran so many that our opponents spent a lot of time in their preparation reviewing our many trick plays on film. Morris was definitely not afraid to run the same trick play over and over again.

Our current OC's will go several games in a row without a "trick" play or formation. If Elliot and Scott run a trick play, it is usually from an unusual formation, not someone handling the ball that is unaccustomed to doing so. I can't recall a trick play in the last few years where someone other than the QB was throwing the ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 10:04 AM

He did help Watson get here but I wouldn’t call Morris a master recruiter.

Dec 9, 2017, 10:04 AM

Tha system wasn't in place before Morris so I'd assume he HAS to be given credit. What Dabo meant by that comment was, Morris wasn't taking the system with him and that it was here to stay at Clemson.

Dec 9, 2017, 10:06 AM

Morris did not invent that system.

Dec 9, 2017, 10:10 AM

How did you get he "invented" the offense out of my post? Curious...

By your logic why'd Dabo even hire him? Sounds like we didn't need him at all and we were doing just fine without him...

Dec 9, 2017, 10:15 AM

Dabo hired him to fullfil his vision for the program. If chad had declined , he would have found someone else. Chad wasn’t some savior. The real miracle here was terry don giving Dabo a chance. We would’ve gotten here with or without chad. So chad should leave Dabos coaches alone.

Dec 9, 2017, 10:27 AM

Clemson was 74th in total offense in 2009 pre-Morris.

Clemson was 88th in total offense in 2010 pre-Morris.

Clemson went to 26th in total offense in Morris's first year here.

Then to 9th in his second and third year.

You still think that has nothing AT ALL to do with Morris huh?

Dabo had a plan.

Dec 9, 2017, 10:14 AM

Chad fit into that plan though the system he brought wasn't the finished product. We didn't have the personnel to run Dabo's plan at the time so we settled for what Chad brought including the super fast paced offense.

That super fast stuff continued after Morris left. If I'm remembering correctly Jeff and Tony actually accelerated the offense a bit after Chad was gone. The offense is slower now.

Now we are closer to Dabo's original concept of what the perfect offense looks like. If they load the box we can pass...either way the opponent selects the method by which they are executed.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo had a plan.

Dec 9, 2017, 10:16 AM

That’s a more reasonable assessment.

I don’t always agree with everything Dabo does and I

Dec 9, 2017, 10:21 AM

Certainly wasn’t happy with the Syracuse loss but I do like and support Dabo and he is a great fit here. He is the architect of this program and it’s direction and deserves a ton of credit. Brent Venables has really helped the defense tremendously. But Dabo again, made the decision to bring him in. Dabo, even though I don’t agree with everything he does, is what got us here. It sure wasn’t Chad Morris.

Is ANYBODY arguing that point? Of course Dabo

Dec 9, 2017, 10:35 AM

is the architect and the mastermind behind that entire program. That doesn't mean we can't share a little bit of the credit with other guys like Chad Morris.

Dec 9, 2017, 10:39 AM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic