Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't know if any of you have been watching Nat Geo this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

I don't know if any of you have been watching Nat Geo this

Jul 25, 2020, 2:49 AM

week, but they have been showing a lot of the past few years of shark attacks. We humans have become an easy meal for sharks, and they very much appreciate us becoming a smorgers board for them to feast on. Some of them will only take a nice bite out of us, then the bigger ones will eat the whole human meal. They know where the tables are being set, and the best time to come, keep getting in that water where a lot of people go, you will get tasted sooner or later, but hope God can hear and understand bubble language!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't know if any of you have been watching Nat Geo this

Jul 25, 2020, 3:11 AM

We had sharks in at shore on the Grand Strand since I can remember. Every time they come into shallow water they are feeding and if your aware they give plenty of warning, just look for jumping fish and a fin making them jump like popcorn.

In the fall the dolphins will chase them off their food by hitting them in the sIde with their nose. I’ve seen them bring sharks out of the water because they hit them so hard. They really don’t want to fed on us but we happen to be in the way or we would have had many more people seriously hurt or killed. It’s not a good feeling when one bumps your board.

I always love shark week/month!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 25, 2020, 4:00 AM

Go to Nat Geo Humble, I think the week will end on Sunday night or Monday. I haven't put my body in the ocean since we caught a 17-ft Tiger shark when I was working as a deckhand on a longline yellowfin Tuna boat when I was living in Hawaii. We bought a barrel of Kentucky fried chicken when we left the Honolulu heading to the fishing grounds. We fished that barrel of chicken when we were passing by the Big Island, and one of the guys crushed the chicken barrel and threw it in the ocean, and it was a 3 day ride before we got to the fishing grounds south of the Big Island. On the second day of baiting and dropping out our second set, we would drift for 16 hours before pulling in that set, and that was when we had that monster Tiger shark hooked, and after the captain killed it, we cut it open before we threw back in, and that chicken barrel was in it's stomach, and that told us that monster had been following us for 5 days when we hooked on the longline, and that very night is when I began fearing the ocean and what was in it, and to this day from 41 years ago, I have never been more than ankle deep in the ocean, and that's as deep as I'll ever go in the ocean bc there are many, many more of those monsters in the ocean, and if they will swallow a chicken barrel, they will swallow just about anything, and we're more tasty than a chicken barrel with just chicken bones in it. But I do wish anybody that goes in the ocean for a swim, good luck. I have a 8 and half ft deep swimming pool that the water is as clear as what we drink and clean, and I can see what's in there before I take a swim!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't know if any of you have been watching Nat Geo this ]

A guy I worked with was taking his final test, before becoming a certified scuba diver. The test was done at Myrtle Beach. He said if people knew what was in the water around the piers, they probably would never go back in the water.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 11:53 AM

I bet, and I still have fear thoughts of when I was younger, I use to swim under the pier at Myrtle Beach, and those thoughts haunt me even today of what a risk I was taking of being eat by a efing fish named Jaws!!!

As a fisherman.... DUH don’t swim near the piers

Jul 25, 2020, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't know if any of you have been watching Nat Geo this ]

The water is chummed!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been brushed and bumped a dozen times

Jul 29, 2020, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't know if any of you have been watching Nat Geo this ]

surfing out at Folly.
When I was younger, teens, I'd stay out. Lil different now.

Nothing better than glassy good waves from distant hurricane in the cool of Sept, watchin dolphin bodysurf the waves as i wait for the next set. Pelicans riding the energy if the waves too.

Sharks are always around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

so you are saying....

Jul 25, 2020, 8:19 AM

we are on the buffet table?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so you are saying....

Jul 25, 2020, 8:33 AM

Jimmy or Sunday's?

I have been scuba diving over 50 years and seen a few sharks, once off Cape Hatteras we had 40+ Sand Tiger's around us in 150 ft of water. My buddy had to pop one in the tail so we could pull the anchor! It is safer when they can see you and you can see them.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 10:32 AM

They have showed some of those also, they have the spots and not the strips. But they also said that the sand Tiger sharks wasn't a big threat to humans. And most shark attacks are to spear fisherman and to people on surfboards!!! But if any shark is spotted, get the H&ll off the buffet table!!!;)

Jul 25, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: so you are saying.... ]

You're ok. Not even a shark would touch anything from Lee County.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: so you are saying.... ]

You're ok. Not even a shark would touch anything from Lee County.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:25 AM [ in reply to so you are saying.... ]

ExxxxActly!!!

Jul 25, 2020, 8:31 AM

Yeah - I've gotten into nearshore fishing lately, heading out to around 25 miles from the coast. I absolutely love how much life comes to the boat to just check it out. Before seeing all of this activity, I would have had no problem jumping in off the boat if I was hot. Now...I don't care if I am about to combust, I wont jump in... Of course we usually have a chum slick in the water! I just don't want me to become part of that slick!

All kinds of sharks...bull, lemon, spinner, even have seen a white shark (dnr confirmed) will circle. White shark bumped the back of the boat twice.. With the water clear at that distance from shore, you see alot!

Jul 25, 2020, 8:43 AM

~JKB

Jul 25, 2020, 9:10 AM

You really just need an underwater chainsaw

That is funny as crap and ugh at the same time.

Jul 25, 2020, 9:21 AM

LOL!!! Hoo in the hail came up with that idea for a movie? What were they smoking???

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is funny as crap and ugh at the same time.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:05 AM

Lol, probably something beyond smoking for that crazy plot!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 10:37 AM

Yep, That was a PCP idea right there!!!

Jul 25, 2020, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: That is funny as crap and ugh at the same time. ]

Flake...no doubt

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is funny as crap

Jul 25, 2020, 4:05 PM [ in reply to That is funny as crap and ugh at the same time. ]

it could be what I am smoking...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meh. I scuba, I'm not scared. Keep your eye out for the

Jul 25, 2020, 10:54 AM

bull sharks though. They are the ones that can be aggressive. Honestly, barracuda kind of freak me out more.

Can't wait to blow bubbles again this Labor Day in Pensacola. Has anyone dove there?

People who fillet fish on the piers attract more sharks and are more to blame for shark bites in the surf. I was out on the pier at MBSP and a dude was just chumming the waters 40 yards from the surf. A dozen nice 6-8 ft sharks were having a buffet. People were swimming 30 yards away. Never swim within 500 yards of a pier. But again, what is 500 yards to a shark?

Re: Meh. I scuba, I'm not scared. Keep your eye out for the

Jul 25, 2020, 11:26 AM

Absolutely, it is said that they can pick up the vib's in the water for over a mile away, and can smell blood in the water several hundred yards away!!! With sharks becoming a serious threat to humans inland in the shallows, either MB should be closed, OR all fishing be banned no less than a couple miles away in all directions from MB where all those people are going to be in the water. Close it for people or close it for fishing, the two don't mix with sharks coming inland looking for a free buffet!!! There are plenty of place to ocean fish without doing at a tourist attraction like Myrtle Beach!!!

Re: Meh. I scuba, I'm not scared. Keep your eye out for the

Jul 29, 2020, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Meh. I scuba, I'm not scared. Keep your eye out for the ]

When I lived in West Palm Beach we used to dive on the reefs, some of the most beautiful experiences in my life but I was always out when I saw a Barracuda especially if you have anything shiny on, they are all over it.

I’ve seen people after shark bites at surf school in the Grand Strand and most weren’t serious they bite and let go because of taste. The bad ones were surf or boogie boards because their favorite food looks like a board from below and seals swim fast so they come full speed to overwhelm the seal. It’s truly amazing their power.

I still swim in the ocean but if I see feeding(flipping fish) I’m out immediately. I spent 12 hours a day for 5 years spring/summer/fall while in college. Millions of people and never seen a shark bite except when people failed to get out during feeding. I always cleared my area before they reached where people where swimming. My wife will go knee deep, she has real fear of sharks lol......

For anyone who would, Never Go Swimming in the Ocean at night!

Stay away from the piers if the barnacles don’t get you the sharks will, blood in the water...lol

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 25, 2020, 11:15 AM

Wifey and I were fall fishing at the OBX a couple of years ago. She hooked a big drum she couldn't handle, so I dropped my rig to go help her. By the time she got hers in, something was pulling my rig towards the water. I grabbed it and started reeling in line. About the time I thought my catch should start appearing in the surf, the line tightened and it was out farther had I had tossed it! That sucker was pulling OUT the whole time I was reeling IN! I locked the line down and started backing up. A swell appeared and I could see a "fat" shark in the water. I guess he twisted his head about that time because he sliced through my STEEL leader. I figured I had caught something while I was helping wifey, and the shark beat me to it.

Was hoping for a rematch this fall, but things are too sketchy to make reservations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 11:21 AM

So are sharks going to take over the world? We will be in a world of poop if the world gets covered by water. WaterWorld.

Jul 25, 2020, 11:33 AM

No, they want take over, humans will destroying them, and sharks have a very import purpose of helping to clean up the dead and dying of the ocean wildlife. The human way is to destroy what they are to ignorant to try and understand and learn to live around it!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

Jul 25, 2020, 11:33 AM

Some years back, I think this was discussed on the board. Some folks were saying; no sharks don't intentionally attack people, It's all a case of mistaken identity, or poor eyesight on the sharks part, they take a bite and decide you're not food and swim away. Maybe not. It's a known fact that sharks like the Tiger and the Oceanic White Tip, will take a bite and come back and finish the meal. I also read where this marine biologist did a study using the silhouettes of the seal and the surfer. His determination was that the sharks knew exactly what they were looking at, and could tell the difference between the two. Don't get me wrong, I believe sharks have their place in the environment, and shouldn't be indiscriminately wiped out, but to say they don't eat people is kind of taking a chance on becoming dinner. Have they shown the documentary where the guy gets the calf of his leg ripped off? He and a biologist were standing in waist deep water surrounded by bull sharks. The biologist kept assuring him; no need to worry, we're not in danger. Dumb!

I remember the last month I spent in San Diego, I read a news story about a lady that was killed by a shark while swimming early one morning. The story made it obvious that the shark fed on the victim, and was a Great White. All this was before the book Jaws came out, so the Great White craze wasn't in bloom yet. The reason this story sticks out to me is that the unfortunate lady had been battling cancer for some time and just the day before had been declared cancer free. That made the story even more tragic.

By the way AllOrange, I do love that bike. Do you ride it often?

Jul 25, 2020, 11:47 AM

I've road it once this summer, and I'm seriously thinking of selling it. I bought brand new while it was still in the shipping crate, and it has been well taken care of, and I have proof of that. Bought new in 2004, and it has less that 50k in mile, and less than 10k since I had the engine gone through for more HP!!! And I had all the customizing done by professionals, and some done by me. And I've never went more than 2k without changing oil and filter, and change trans fluid ever 10k, and only use Amsoil in both engine and trany. And, Amsoil is the very best oil ever made for air cooled engines!!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5MVGM4?tag=sa-sym-new-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Jul 25, 2020, 12:12 PM

Were this my younger days, I'd love to have had a bike like that, but I haven't been on a motorcycle in many, many years. I have a grandson that would absolutely love to have that bike, but as he is preparing for college himself, I doubt it would fit in his mom and dads budget. Make sure you don't sell it and regret it later.

Jul 25, 2020, 12:50 PM

At my age and with my disability, I can assure you that scooter doesn't do me any good. It cost me a little over $500 bucks a year to sit in the building with custom bike full coverage insurance. Plus it cost me over a $100 bucks to change the oil and filter whether I ride it or not. The cash would do me more good than my scooter under a full cover inside a weather proof building ;)!!! But I would let it stay where it is before I sold to a non Clemson man/woman!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

Jul 25, 2020, 1:40 PM

Amen to that. It would be a sin to sell it to a non Tiger. Good luck, if you decide to sell it. I hope you get a good fair price for it.

Jul 25, 2020, 11:39 PM

I know what I would have to have for it, and it's that, or sit in the 14' X 14' building that I built for it. I told my grandson that if I still had it when I pass on, it was his!!!

I grew up on Pawleys Island. I only

Jul 25, 2020, 11:58 AM

Had one encounter with a shark in person. But one day the roofers working on a beach house told us if we could see all the sharks in the water near the shore, we wouldn't want to be out there. I have seen pics that indicate they were telling the truth. I still went out there. But I was always aware that I was no longer at the top of the food chain. Going to be a regular again in 3 years when I retire there.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic