Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fix the playoffs....take 1 regular season game away (cupcake) and take top 8 teams give
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Fix the playoffs....take 1 regular season game away (cupcake) and take top 8 teams give

Dec 21, 2020, 4:23 PM

Top 4 home games........then proceed to playoff destinations.......could you imagine a playoff game in the Valley at night against a top 8 team to go to semi’s ...........why not try it for a year and see how it goes.......the playoff destinations are already set but the first round would be wide open to do whatever you want

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am only in favor of expansion

Dec 21, 2020, 4:35 PM

If it comes with automatic bids for the P5 conferences and a direct/non-opinion based path for undefeated non P5 conference champions.

Otherwise, I see no problem with how it is now. It seems the argument this year has been framed as multiple teams deserving of the #4 bid, whereas I actually see it as a lack of a clear 4th best team. Not sure why we'd kick that can down the rankings to #8.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am only in favor of expansion

Dec 21, 2020, 6:15 PM

I get the thought behind people wanting automatic bids for P5 champions, but this year we’d have an unbeaten Oregon team in.

Two years ago would’ve put a 7-5 Pitt team just one win in the ACC Championship away from making the playoffs. Just the fact that things like that could happen makes it questionable to me.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:39 PM

Worse. Oregon lost to da Beavers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like this year's acc way of picking

Dec 21, 2020, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: I am only in favor of expansion ]

the top two play for the title

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I am only in favor of expansion ]

Conference championships should matter.

If one of the best 8 teams in the country can't win their conference championship they will have to take their chances with the at-large bids.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:59 PM [ in reply to I am only in favor of expansion ]

thom,

What is this direct/non-opinion path of which you speak ??

Re: Fix the playoffs....take 1 regular season game away (cupcake) and take top 8 teams give

Dec 21, 2020, 4:38 PM

So which 4 ( minimum ) SEC teams would you like to see in in the 8 team playoffs?

Re: Fix the playoffs....take 1 regular season game away (cupcake) and take top 8 teams give

Dec 21, 2020, 4:44 PM

So which 4 ( minimum ) SEC teams would you like to see in in the 8 team playoffs?

I'd welcome it - imagine the SEC going 0-4 in the playoffs.

But seriously, it's going to take beating them more to knock them down than trying to keep them out

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The cupcake game gives the cupcake school much needed $$$

Dec 21, 2020, 4:42 PM

El Cid, Wofford and Furman would rather not get destroyed every year. Although, it is interesting for them to see how they measure up. Heck, occasionally, they even beat a coot team.

But that's a big pay day of +$1 mill.

Dec 21, 2020, 4:48 PM

Go back to the bowl system and then do a plus one of the highest 2 rated teams after bowls are played. That gives all team incentive to take part.

Dec 21, 2020, 4:52 PM

Go back to the bowl system and then do a plus one of the highest 2 rated teams after bowls are played. That gives all team incentive to take part.

I mean, NY6 Bowls, yes...but anything outside of those, no and the arguments would be even worse.

We might as well open up to all conference champs and at large bids - least the matchups would be interesting ??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Fix the playoffs....take 1 regular season game away (cupcake) and take top 8 teams give ]

Isn’t that basically what the NC game is now? I get the system now makes it official as to which 4 teams are part of that extra game, but basically it’s how you just described. The top 2 teams after all the bowl games are played get together to play a plus one game.

Let'em all in>DivIII, JUCO's, Prep Schools, etc?***

Dec 21, 2020, 5:27 PM

Oct 8, 2014, 8:03 PM

...or better even yet, take the top two teams and let them play each other for the national championship.

Why should the number 1 team, which has played well all year and earned their spot, have to play an extra game against the number 8 team, which hasn't really earned it by playing like a champion every week?

Dec 21, 2020, 5:57 PM

To me there’s no argument to be made for a team ranked 5-8 from a P5 conference most years. This year for instance that would include 2 loss Oklahoma, and 3 loss Florida.

If any argument could be made it would be for an unbeaten P5 team being left out, which is something that hasn’t happened yet, or an unbeaten non-P5 team.

I’d be open to putting in a rule that allows for an extra game between the #4 ranked team and the highest ranked unbeaten team to decide the #4 team. If there isn’t an unbeaten team then the #4 team qualifies as usual without an extra game.

This would give the non-P5 teams a path to get in, and would give teams an incentive to be ranked in the top 3 while adding an extra importance to the #1 seed.

Why? The best team in the nation wins the playoff every year.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:02 PM

You complaining because ND is at 4 having split two games with Clemson? I agree with that but they will not win it. Put TAMU in? They will lose to Bama AGAIN. Put Cincy in? Lol. Coastal? Lol. It’s down to Clemson, Bama and OSU. Whoever ended up at #4 is a moot point. Expansion is a frivolous waste of time that further diminishes the bowl games. Whether or not the committee actually gets the four best is not really the point. The point is to create matchups that settle what has not already been settled in the games that have already been played. The point is to produce an undisputed National Champion which they have done every year.

Re: Why? The best team in the nation wins the playoff every year.

Dec 21, 2020, 7:05 PM

smack,

if all you are trying to do is crown a champion, then the existing system has worked fine.

But i would like to see the contenders extend beyond the samer 3 ort 4 teams every year. I think that would be good for the players and the fans and the game.

I think that an 8 team playoff AND a reduction of scholarships would spread the talent out over more teams - which would lead to greater competition - which would lead to greater interest across the country.

Who would’ve beaten the teams that won the playoff?

Dec 21, 2020, 8:41 PM

Answer: Nobody

Why add teams that were not going to win the championship just to satisfy someone’s opinion that one team deserved to get in over another team that.....lost? What difference does it make? You could argue that I don’t know for sure that the same teams would’ve won to which I say get real. Those teams had a clear separation from the rest of the field as was witnessed in the playoff or in the regular season. You could argue for UCF but no realistic person would think UCF was better than Bama in 2017 or even Georgia for that matter.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:37 PM

So every team gives up the revenue from one game. The visiting team gets a good payout, but for most teams, a home game brings in a bunch of cash, tickets, parking, concessions, programs, and a huge boost to the local economy.

Which 5-8 team would have won the national title over the last 7 years ?

Dec 21, 2020, 6:40 PM

Then number 9 starts crying.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:58 PM

I like the idea, but first round games should be in bowl game locations. National championship with national implications - big games on big stages.

Plus bowl games have served college football for decades. I would not want to see them cut out of the picture so completely.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:59 PM

I don’t see them eliminating a game, the gate and concessions $$’s won’t go away.

Make the playoffs 8 teams

Eliminate conference divisions

Best records in each conference play in the conference championship game

Power 5 conference champs get auto bids

Highest ranked group of 5 conference champion is in

Independents must be ranked in the top 8 to be eligible for the playoffs

At large teams had to have played in their conference championship game unless an independent ranked in the top 8

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 7:03 PM

Dec 21, 2020, 7:08 PM

Then we would be right where we are now except the media would endlessly debate who should be the #8 seed instead of the #4 seed. Then some genius would decide the answer is for the playoffs to expand yet again, to sixteen teams. Nobody has ever made a compelling argument that the best team in the country isn't among the top 4 so expanding it beyond that is a complete waste of time when it comes to determining the best team in the country.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic