Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A great quote from the best President in my lifetime Reagan!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

A great quote from the best President in my lifetime Reagan!

Mar 29, 2021, 1:27 PM

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the Government and I’m here to help. - Ronald Reagan

How right he was!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not even close. Try these five......

Mar 29, 2021, 1:35 PM

"The test came back positive" ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A great quote from the best President in my lifetime Reagan!

Mar 29, 2021, 1:38 PM

I am actually confused by people who claim to love America but evidence their hate for our government.

The same for people who claim to love America and yet evidence hate for so many Americans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 1:55 PM

They just hate half of the country.

Mar 29, 2021, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: A great quote from the best President in my lifetime Reagan! ]

One can have a healthy distrust without hating. Are you ok with protesting the government?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 3:01 PM

considering we have a political party willingly and intentionally tearing our government down from the inside in the name of free markets, this lack of trust is warranted.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 3:24 PM

I'll let you know what's going on down at the border- trust me

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: A great quote from the best President in my lifetime Reagan! ]

p6

I absolutely agree. I would question anyone who unconditionally loves everything about our country, our government, or our people.

Otoh, I have serious questions about people who would call themselves patriots who seem to spend ALL of their time and energy looking for ways to criticize and tear the country down (and apart). If you just go back to the P & R board and look at the topics, you will see a long list of reactionary posts - each straining to find ways to tear at our country, our government and our people.

They can go all Aussie Aussie Aussie about Trump if they want, but Trump broke norms that we used to follow. And if you think attacking his positions was wrong, the solution is NOT to replicate that behavior.

I love America but have serious qualms with our

Mar 29, 2021, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: A great quote from the best President in my lifetime Reagan! ]

government. We watch Congress vote down party lines on EVERYTHING and watch politicians be "for" something one year and "against" the very same thing the next year. How can anyone see that and think "I love this government!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love America but have serious qualms with our

Mar 29, 2021, 8:55 PM

Joey

Surely there is middle ground between I hate this government and I love this government.

I am critical of much of what the government does, but I try to be realistic about mu expectations in a democracy.

There are some here who have promoted the position that everything the government does is screwed up. In fact, the OP takes that exact position, so . . .

I am confused by people who think love for country means

Mar 29, 2021, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: A great quote from the best President in my lifetime Reagan! ]

love for parental government.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am confused by people who think love for country means

Mar 29, 2021, 2:36 PM

I agree with you. Or people that think patriotism is blindly supporting the government. It's kind of like when some people opposed the Iraq War people would often say, "Love it or leave it!". They would say it was unpatriotic to oppose a war. I am with you. Sometimes being critical of a government is due to the love of the country.

This is down a rabbit trail, but I have a few minutes, so

Mar 29, 2021, 3:26 PM

here we go.

During the famous "run up" to the Iraq War [which, by the way, was a bit like Trevor Lawrence standing at the line of scrimmage for 2 minutes explaining to the defense everything that was about to come], I was a part of a certain organization that was very conservative. I would go to meetings which would start with an obligatory 15 minutes of talk about how in the right we were, how we needed to do this, etc. Near the end of the run up, when invasion was near, one of the guys, an ex colonel, kept getting texts with 'inside' info about what was about to happen, etc. I had heard it for a month so I finally said:

"Wait. I'm not sure this is a great idea. The last gulf war got us 9/11, so who knows where this one is going to take us? It bankrupted and sunk the Soviet Union, and we're going back into that same place? Besides we're the ones who got into bed with - more than simple arm's length oil purchases - a culture that we all know is self serving and at odds with us. Shouldn't we rethink the relationship, while going after the perpetrators in non invasive fashion? You know, like Israel/Mossad does, who does it so well they have never had one hijacked airplane."

Holy Carp. You would think I had just sung "Solidarity". Disagreement was not allowed: it was unpatriotic.

That is not exactly what you were talking about, but it does show how ideology determines "truth" in most cases. The 60's liberals said they didn't trust govt (or anyone over age 30). Conservatives don't wont 'big govt'. But everyone wants the govt to do what they want it to, as long as it is doing it to someone else. The ideology we should be agreeing on - that the role of govt is to protect every individual's liberty and opportunity - is gone, I think.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am confused by people who think love for country means

Mar 29, 2021, 8:56 PM [ in reply to I am confused by people who think love for country means ]

tulsa

What adjective would you like to substitute for parental ?

Mar 29, 2021, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: A great quote from the best President in my lifetime Reagan! ]

Tobias27772 with respect to the gov't...

The government is a giant bloated bureaucracy that is NOTHING like it was ever intended to be by the founders.

I would not say I hate it, but the facts are that the government does not have to make a profit to stay in business, it does not have to provide quality services and/or products to stay in business, and there is no downside to stifling progress if you work within the government.

What is there to like? Do you know how much my company spends to be a federal contractor? Millions per year to satisfy mostly needless government regulations and audits. All these costs are passed back to the government through our overhead.

Defense Contract Audit Agency - https://www.dcaa.mil/

Defense Contract Management Agency - https://www.dcma.mil/

Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs - https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp

All separate audits: Accounting system, purchasing system, timekeeping system, estimating system, travel expense system, incurred costs, ...

Mar 29, 2021, 9:03 PM

I would not say I hate it, but the facts are that the government does not have to make a profit to stay in business, it does not have to provide quality services and/or products to stay in business, and there is no downside to stifling progress if you work within the government.

Millions of people work for the government that take pride in their jobs and their contributions to their society. But, because they are not driven by the profit motive, you would like to denigrate their efforts and their intentions. I am sure you have a few anecdotal stories from which you derive the justification for this bias, but that does not make it so.

The profit motive is not the only motive that leads to quality, or efficiency, or value.

Mar 29, 2021, 2:30 PM

"I'm Jim Jordan and I'm here to babysit your kids."

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

I like President Reagan very much

Mar 29, 2021, 3:21 PM

But I don't like this sentiment. The government is a minister of God to me for good. That doesn't mean everything they do is good. When it's not, we should try to correct it. But I believe the Bible teaches us to have a measure of trust in our leaders.

The Bible also teaches the value of work,

Mar 29, 2021, 9:32 PM

Self-sufficiency, and being more of a producer than a consumer when possible . The things Reagan is arguing against are quite the opposite of those. Feels like you are incorrect here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry...wut?!

Mar 30, 2021, 7:53 AM

What a random non-sequitur.

I obviously said nothing remotely close to anything you said in your post.

the best President in my lifetime, Reagan!

Mar 29, 2021, 8:10 PM

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our govt. has helped millions in our history, like

Mar 29, 2021, 9:41 PM

Europe in WWI and WWII. Also after WWII with the Marshall Plan but followed it up with a major F up in Vietnam.

There are many examples of both good and bad.

I'm just saying it's not all bad.

Catchy slogan though designed to help Reagan politically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. Catchy quip, but void of critical thought.***

Mar 30, 2021, 7:54 AM

I'm sure President Reagan himself looked

Mar 30, 2021, 8:02 AM [ in reply to Our govt. has helped millions in our history, like ]

to help Americans. I think he did, significantly.

was expecting air traffic controlers

Mar 29, 2021, 10:03 PM

what union

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fun Ronald Reagan fact

Mar 30, 2021, 11:02 AM

When he took office, the US was the World's largest creditor and when he left it was the World's largest debtor. I'll never understand why he's so admired.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So this must have terrified you

Mar 30, 2021, 11:05 AM

"Nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic