Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer

Nov 21, 2017, 12:58 PM

That question publically because all of the idiot armchair coaches are going to be saying "we told you so"...when they're CLUELESS about it.

Unless you have watched every practice, have been in every meeting and work with the program on a daily basis, no one cares what you think based on the 40 snaps you've seen this season during mop up duty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer

Nov 21, 2017, 1:01 PM

I think the real story is that it was so overwhelmingly obvious to everyone inside AND outside the locker room that HJ was playing better, he had to make the move. It what it is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:01 PM

And you think that, based on, what? You talked to people inside the locker room?

Nov 21, 2017, 1:04 PM

I’d like to know that as well.

Nov 21, 2017, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer ]

He don’t know crap he’s just running that goober smoocher

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer ]

Based on their perfomance in actual games......if you have watched the games can clearly see HJ > ZC.....unless you just do no want to admit it......Go Tigers!!!!!

Nov 21, 2017, 4:22 PM

yeah, all those limited snaps that you saw, mostly in mop up duty, surely tells you as much as the coaches.

Nov 21, 2017, 8:03 PM

If KB gets hurt (which I really hope he does not) I am just relieved HJ will be the next man up coming in the game this weekend.....HJ was not rated a 5 star recruit for nothing......this guy is a winner and will get the job done for us in Willybrice whether or not you agree with me........Johnson has that air of confidence and "it factor" about him in game situations which Cooper has not shown.......Go Tigers & beat up on the coots AGAIN this year!!!!!

Nov 21, 2017, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer ]

You mean in those 4th quarter drives against Wake and The Citadel?

Criggets***

Nov 21, 2017, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer ]

It doesn't matter how good you are if you're understanding..

Nov 21, 2017, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer ]

and memory of the playbook is limited. Knowing how to add real good doesn't make you a mathematician.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It doesn't matter how good you are if you're understanding..

Nov 21, 2017, 5:39 PM

> and memory of the playbook is limited. Knowing how to
> add real good doesn't make you a mathematician.

This ^^^^^

Nov 21, 2017, 1:07 PM

I have been a Pro HJ fan all along but I give our coaches the benefit of the doubt they know the overall grasp of the playbook and audible calling each of these QBs have. Our offense seems simplistic but I'm sure its way over my head on how each play is called and changed at the line. I believe that playbook knowledge was the difference.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:07 PM

How clueless were they again?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 1:08 PM

Capital letter clueless, which equates at least 2.5 lowercase cluelesses.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:18 PM

minor note - you say clueless due to lack of being at practice

while that is totally true!

...you have to also consider pedigree as an information source and that stuff is on a gazillion recruiting websites, etc - read by fans

i dont think our playbook is rocket science but ya definately need some time to put it all together - maybe he has now done that

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 1:27 PM

Playbook, calling protections, audibles and many other things besides pedigree influence our coaches decisions. They grade EVERYTHING (again, worth 2.5 lowercase everythings).

1) there's no way anyone outside the program could have that info, and thus, has no chance of making an accurate assessment.

2) I would wager that most of the complainers couldn't identify any of those things on film and really don't know what they're talking about. If half of them could tell you the correct decisions the QB should make on any given play, I'll eat my underwear.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:41 PM

I'm just saying history / rankings / articles make the comments at least quasi informed.

It is not like they put a bag over some random dudes head in downtown Greenville and listed him as a QB. We know the kid should be good.

And how thick is this playbook? Is it written in English?

I think an accurate statement is the fans are partially clueless. ??

Nov 21, 2017, 1:46 PM

Besides Watson, who is obviously in a different stratosphere than most any player we've ever seen (and who also ran a similar system at his HS), I don't think I've ever seen a freshman QB come in and grasp our playbook immediately.

It's probably all English, but I bet if it were laid in front of most of the complainers, it would be a foreign language to them.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:24 PM

You're right about us being clueless; however, isn't that what armchair quarterbacks do? We comment on subjects based on the knowledge we have. If we never commented because we're "clueless", there would be no need for a forum such as this. Us "clueless" people create interest and drive others like you to comment too. Ease up!

Nov 21, 2017, 1:30 PM

Why even be an "armchair quarterback" in the first place if you realize you don't have anywhere near the facts to comment.

Admitting it is not helping your defense or credibility.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:36 PM

People knew because they know how Dabo works. Just as with Cole Stoudt, he shows seniority if it is close.

He had to show Zerrick seniority, but seniority will only take you so far.

Hunter Johnson is MUCH(emphasis on the letters much) better to the eye than Zerrick at this point.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:38 PM

No, people want to assume that's the case because they need to be upset with something when the slightest thing doesn't go their way.

You insult Dabo, and you insult yourself with that junk.

If they listened to Dabo more closely they would know why...

Nov 21, 2017, 1:35 PM

HJ isn't the starter and why he was third on the chart during the first of this season. Dabo plainly said he didn't have command of the offense. It doesn't take a nuclear physicist to understand that means he doesn't know the playbook yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having a “command” of the offense doesn’t matter

Nov 21, 2017, 8:44 PM

if you can’t execute it - especially in games.

Even if HJ only knew half of the plays, but could execute them well, I would take that any day over a player like ZC who must be great in the film/meeting room and understands the offense very well but who can’t execute it worth a crap in games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 21, 2017, 1:37 PM

It would have been known on the depth chart release this week.It's not a matter of should he answer, but of when he would be asked to answer the question.Personally I feel he set it right for those "I toldja so and so's" as well as the fans who think he shouldn't talk about it in the last statement from the article.

"Swinney reiterated that practice is essential and nothing is set in stone all season."

"Nobody has a lifetime contract around here. Every day is competition," Swinney said. "Based on where we are and that one game he would be the first one in this week."

And for the record after seeing Hunter Johnson play Saturday I am of the firm belief as well he should be the #2.Beforehand I had not seen enough of him nor Zerrick to surmise either was better than the other.But you're always going to have the blind squirrel find a nut every once in a while and claim "they" knew Xplayer was better than Yplayer all along.It's what makes up message boards.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:41 PM

You're correct. The blind squirrels would have claimed the I told you so's regardless of if Dabo talked about it, they saw it on the depth chart or saw it on the field.

I'll admit that. I just knew it was coming and felt like preemptively telling the squirrels that they're idiots. ;)

Yeah but 'Who is second on the depth chart,' wasn't the...

Nov 21, 2017, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree HJ should be #2, but wish Dabo didn't answer ]

original argument. The original argument was that HJ should be the starter and the morons couldn't see how poorly he ran the option read which is a great portion of getting receivers open.

Imo, he has the most accurate throw of the three and his mechanics are absolutely perfect but a QB need to know exactly what the responsibilities are for each team mate and where to locate every receiver on the team when the play matures.

I've only been on tnet since 2001... was there ever a time

Nov 21, 2017, 1:42 PM

The arm chair coaches were wrong and the head coach was right in a loss?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I've only been on tnet since 2001... was there ever a time

Nov 21, 2017, 2:07 PM

Nope, never

Wouldn't call them clueless

Nov 21, 2017, 2:34 PM

if they were right about it. That makes no sense.

Re: Wouldn't call them clueless

Nov 21, 2017, 2:48 PM

They were eventually right. And Dabo did it in his own time for a reason.

So yes, I will stand by calling them clueless.

Way too much thought policing on the Tnets

Nov 21, 2017, 2:47 PM

It goes without saying the coaches have more info and knowledge about all this. People still have opinions and share them. So what?

Re: Way too much thought policing on the Tnets

Nov 21, 2017, 2:49 PM

People share them in a negative and at times hateful way. That's so what.

Re: Way too much thought policing on the Tnets

Nov 21, 2017, 4:03 PM

And people also rebuke in a negative and hateful way even when people politely question HJ's role, or any other point of disagreement with decisions made.

Besides Dabo explained his latest decision in ways that didn't leave room for HJ supporters to say I told you so. It's a fluid thing, can't imagine wishing he'd not said anything.

I don't give a chicken's mite's turd how he practices.

Nov 21, 2017, 2:55 PM

All I care is how he performs in a game, and it was obvious to all but "idiots" that he was superior to ZC in games since the beginning of the season.

Oh, and also

"I told you so."

Re: I don't give a chicken's mite's turd how he practices.

Nov 21, 2017, 3:43 PM

No, all you KNOW is how he performs in a game. In limtied snaps and in mop up duty. Aka, you don't know what is really going on and your caring is uninformed.

Nov 21, 2017, 7:09 PM

Why don't you talk to Tee Higgins and ask him who he'd rather have throwing the ball to him, ZC or HJ.

Or just go back and watch EVERY pass they've both thrown this year, and get YOURSELF informed, because you obviously haven't been paying attention. There's really no comparison.

Nov 21, 2017, 7:13 PM

As I've said a couple dozen times already, I'm not foolish enough to think that the limited snaps I've seen, and the limited knowledge I have of the sport relative to our NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP coaching staff makes me wiser than them.

Yes, Hunter looked good. Yes, I agree he should be #2. Yes, the Syracuse game sucked.

But if you think that the snaps you watched in the games he played makes you more knowledgeable than our coaching staff...I'm sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I didn’t have a problem with the staff having Cooper #2

Nov 21, 2017, 8:50 PM

for the Syracuse game. What I had a problem with was the staff leaving Cooper in when he was playing poorly, and not even giving Johnson a chance.

Johnson might not have done any better than Cooper against Syracuse, but then again, he might have done great. Why not give him a chance? That is my frustration with our coaches. They can be very stubborn at times.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Week 1,HJ wasn't the back up, by week 12 of his

Nov 21, 2017, 3:01 PM

Freshman year he had worked his way into the back up position. It won't stop there,he'll be the starter, probably by Spring, but doesn't prove the Keyboard Warriors right.

A Blind Dog finds a bone every now and then.A broken clock is right twice a day.

What about the couple dozen snaps during the Cuse game

Nov 21, 2017, 3:04 PM

that proved Zerrick wasn't the guy?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Re: What about the couple dozen snaps during the Cuse game

Nov 21, 2017, 3:48 PM

Considering we've snapped the ball over 800 times so far this season in games, and countless more times in practice, I'm gonna say you'll have trouble convincing me that the 24 snaps you saw in the Cuse game gives you enough credibility to question the coaches.

Nov 21, 2017, 8:10 PM

Mr. Knowzit I fail to understand that you do not understand that the level of PERFORMANCE is like daylight and dark between HJ and ZC. HJ being daylight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 8:13 PM

Exactly......Go Tigers!!!!

Nov 21, 2017, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: What about the couple dozen snaps during the Cuse game ]

"I agree HJ should be #2..."

Litterally the first words that I said in my original post title.

That wasn't my point at all.

Nov 21, 2017, 4:00 PM

I will agree that the incessant high-pitched "Hunter Johnson should be our #2!" refrain got a little tiresome, but it still was very difficult to see what exactly the coaches were looking at with Cooper. He never did well, ever, when called upon, and he was abjectly ineffective when given the reigns against 'Cuse.

The problem there is that I do know people who were at more than a few practices, and they one and all said pretty much the same thing: Cooper bad, HJ good.

I don't think it's "conspiracy" or any such. I just personally think Dabo is really slow to give up on a kid. But while loyalty can occasionally bite you - as it appears to have done against Syracuse - I think more often than not that approach is the correct one. Dabo refused to give up on Adam Choice and CJ Fuller and as a result we have four viable RB's this year. We have nine viable WR's. We have about 10 viable OL's, etc, etc....

Contrast that with the approach down in Cola and it's startling. Do you realize they don't even have a quarterback aside from Jake Bentley who has even completed a single pass? Zero. Not one. They only have 5 players - which includes WR's, TE's, and RB's - who have caught more than 10 passes.

They didn't even release a 2-deep because they don't have one. They kept their starters in the entire game against Wofford. (Wofford!)

I just shake my head. How on Earth do you build a program doing that? And how on Earth are they supposed to do anything except die ugly in the second half against us?

Nov 21, 2017, 5:32 PM

Sorry Ct, while I get your point, but imo, this pretty much puts you in the same category as them.

js

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nov 21, 2017, 6:02 PM

Interesting, how so?

Meh, don't care how it was announced

Nov 21, 2017, 7:01 PM

I'm just glad that the right guy is behind Bryant even though it took 11 weeks. I think we can feel a lot better about our chances if Bryant goes down for whatever reason again.

I would normally agree with your post, but not this time.

Nov 21, 2017, 8:36 PM

Johnson is clearly better than Cooper in terms of passing, decision making, and confidence. I’m sure Cooper is a nice kid, and has been in the program longer, but it is painfully obvious even in their limited snaps this year that Cooper is better.

If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to say.

Nov 21, 2017, 8:50 PM

Following this entire thread, I have to say, quozzel had the most thought out and intelligent post. There’s nothing wrong with questioning a coach or a coaches decision. That is what boards are for... opinions.

Dabo’s not perfect. He’d be the first to admit it. Is he a great coach. 100% absolutely! Has he ever been wrong, absolutely. But there’s no disputing he is slow to give up on a player, and no disputing he does value seniority.

No doubt I’ve been outspoken that imo from the very beginning of spring, I wish it’d been HJ. To me, no different than etn. The upside and ceiling seemed to warrant it.

Not sure what ctliegm... s beef really is. Sounds like you’re doing the same thing you’re accusing everyone else of and that’s disagreeing with Dabo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic