Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Us Southerners hated Yankees
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Us Southerners hated Yankees

Feb 18, 2021, 7:57 PM

with a passion for a long time after the Civil War . And still do in many cases, but it has gotten better over the last several decades in my opinion.

So when you consider this, is it not hypocritical to resent blacks for resenting southern whites? Especially when you consider that if you like it or not the Yankees had the moral high ground as the blacks did as well. Since many of my ancestors fought for the South in the Civil War, it’s not fun admitting this. But it’s just the truth. Doesn’t mean that I think Blacks should play the victim card forever and not try to advance themselves, but just think about it from this perspective.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Us Southerners hated Yankees

Feb 18, 2021, 8:29 PM

Whut

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 8:33 PM

opants said:

with a passion for a long time after the Civil War . And still do in many cases, but it has gotten better over the last several decades in my opinion.

So when you consider this, is it not hypocritical to resent blacks for resenting southern whites? Especially when you consider that if you like it or not the Yankees had the moral high ground as the blacks did as well. Since many of my ancestors fought for the South in the Civil War, it’s not fun admitting this. But it’s just the truth. Doesn’t mean that I think Blacks should play the victim card forever and not try to advance themselves, but just think about it from this perspective.

I am .2% Ashkenazi Jew. I have yet to see one red cent from the Germans from The Holocaust and the Egyptians for enslaving my ancestors. When do I get my backpay? Think of it from that perspective!

Feb 18, 2021, 8:50 PM

Opants, I usually hate the racial discussions but I’ll admit you’ve given me something to think about. My southern roots run deep. I had several ancestors fight for the confederacy. One was killed , another died in the Elmira, NY POW camp. We were never taught to dislike blacks but a distrust and often dislike of Yankees was passed down through the generations. I now realize how ridiculous that is but even today when I hear that certain accent I have to check my prejudice. Anyway, you’ve got me doing some thinking.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:01 PM

tar

I think that is laudable - and important. When we consciously recognize our prejudices (which we all have) THEN we can begin to consciously check them. As long as we deny them, progress is unlikely.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:06 PM

Thank you. I agree.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Us Southerners hated Yankees ]

Tar dog, that is my motive. I’m impressed that you are willing to think outside the box. I want to be clear that I am not an apologist from many of the problems the black race has. But at the same time, I do have compassion for how they must feel. Frustrates me that people don’t understand that both those things can be true at the same time. People want you to be on one team or the other. I am not going to give in to that pressure.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:22 PM

I do agree that both can be true. I think I’ve always rejected the racial debates because I honestly don’t personally feel any prejudice toward black people. I probably have them but I don’t sense it at the surface. But good grief I’ve had yankee prejudice. That’s nuts I know. But I started thinking after your post that my grandparents knew confederate veterans. I can see where that distrust of yanks crept down through time. Really interesting post and I thank you fir it.

southerners hated northerners because they were

Feb 18, 2021, 9:00 PM

hypocritical. they were more racist against the black man than 'we' were.

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: southerners hated northerners because they were

Feb 18, 2021, 9:01 PM

I think my point is made.

How many posts are you gonna make about this?

Feb 18, 2021, 9:10 PM

Re: How many posts are you gonna make about this?

Feb 18, 2021, 9:19 PM

I suspected you might pick up on that. I thought it was a pretty good point, so I thought it was worth starting a new post. I’m in the middle dude. I’m not going to apologize for that.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:26 PM

Feb 18, 2021, 9:32 PM

So if you have that attitude I guess that means you hold no resentment against Yankees?

Feb 18, 2021, 9:38 PM

Feb 18, 2021, 10:04 PM

Well not you but many of you trumps supporters decided to riot the capital and killed people and could’ve killed many more people if things had gone a different way. So how is it OK for Trump followers to be bad and attack the capital where all our politicians were assembled, which is a much bigger deal then what happened in other cities?

Isn’t it fair to point out the hypocrisy of its OK for Southerners to hate Yankees but it’s not OK for blacks to hate southern whites?

To your credit, you have admitted that you would not vote for Trump again unless he was running against a radical Democrat. So this comment is not directed to you. But the most surprising thing ever politically is how many people believe every word that Trump says. If you don’t understand that this man can never admit that he he didn’t win, you are very naïve. I support most of trumps policies, but how anybody believes a word that comes out of his mouth is something that I will never understand. Many of them are very intelligent people. I just don’t get it. Having a rational honest leader of our country is more important than policies for me.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:17 PM

How many southern “whites” owned slaves?

How many southern “whites” had wives and children raped or murdered by Union soldiers?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2021, 9:00 AM

I'm actually going to say that I don't think this analogy works. I think a lot of the disdain for Northerners that still exists (and nothing to do with Civil War or carpet baggin' at this point) is how many move down here to get away from their homes but then want to transform the South into their homes.

Right now, we've got Yankee transplants who have taken up residence in IOP and Sullivan's Island who are pushing to make the beaches private, shutting out SC residents who have used them for decades.

I think that's a lot different than racial strife. Southern blacks probably feel the same way about Yankees doing this. Southerners have always been proud of traditions and ways of life, and we don't want no Ohioans comin' here and messin' that up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

We disagree quite often, and we do it well.....

Feb 19, 2021, 9:01 AM

but those times when our viewpoints converge, man, it's glorious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I EXPLODED!!!***

Feb 19, 2021, 12:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2021, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Us Southerners hated Yankees ]

That’s a big part of it. You don’t move to someone’s home and then proceed to tell them how stupid they are and how backwards their way of life is. You do t make friends that way. Embrace the culture or go home. However, I have met and made friends with some wonderful people from “up yonder”.

Feb 19, 2021, 12:59 PM

We have a friend from New York who moved here a couple of years ago, and she was talking politics, and she started going on how she doesn't think people down here care for others as much as they did up in NY. Of course, we're like... lol wut? Then she cited all the people who love Donald Trump down here and his hateful rhetoric.

I pointed out to her that Donald Trump is a New Yorker, and she just kinda blanked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Feb 19, 2021, 1:58 PM

Now that is funny!!! I would love to have seen her face.

Why are you using past tense?***

Feb 19, 2021, 12:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

When does the statute of limitations run out?***

Feb 19, 2021, 12:51 PM

Re: When does the statute of limitations run out?***

Feb 19, 2021, 9:05 PM

I blame all of my problems on the Battle of Hastings - effing Normans!

Message was edited by: p6fuller®

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic