Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many of you mangers know how the name Wake Forest
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

How many of you mangers know how the name Wake Forest

Oct 6, 2017, 9:58 AM

came about?

It's actually kind of funny.

Go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

It used to be located in the town of Wake Forest?***

Oct 6, 2017, 10:00 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It used to be located in the town of Wake Forest?***

Oct 6, 2017, 10:01 AM

Negative. Keep trying....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Uh... that's actually it.

Oct 6, 2017, 10:02 AM

Don't know where you're going with this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uh... that's actually it.

Oct 6, 2017, 10:03 AM

OK, how did the NAME of the town come about......

Screw Calford.

florist?***

Oct 6, 2017, 10:05 AM

Re: florist?***

Oct 6, 2017, 10:11 AM

this ^^^^ A WEAK FLORIST started the school.

because it is located in Wake County and was purchased

Oct 6, 2017, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Uh... that's actually it. ]

at a time when it was very sparsely populated (Forest of Wake)?

Re: because it is located in Wake County and was purchased

Oct 6, 2017, 10:11 AM

You are closer....here's a hint: it has something to do with moonshine.

Screw Calford.

Oct 6, 2017, 10:23 AM

Well, legend has it that when Old Pappy Greenlee used to brew some bubbling beverages out back in the woods, the townsfolk would saunter on down to the still. When the sleepy old men of the town took a swig they would scream out at the top of their lungs and the woods would come alive. Even the hills would come alive (The Sound of Music????). But I digress. When the folks back in town heard the hootin' and hollerin' they'd say, "That there forest sure is comin' awake." Well, over time it was shortened to Wake Forest. And there ya have it.

Oct 6, 2017, 10:33 AM

We have a winner. It was linked to the age old tradition of having wakes with moonshine in the forest.

Screw Calford.

Never understood why a (formerly) Baptist college would have

Oct 6, 2017, 10:38 AM

the word "Demon" in it's mascot's name.

Crazy stuff rat cheer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

and now server beer in the stadium***

Oct 6, 2017, 10:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I've known a few demon deacons

Oct 6, 2017, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Never understood why a (formerly) Baptist college would have ]

??

Same reason a Methodist one has "devil" in it.

Oct 6, 2017, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Never understood why a (formerly) Baptist college would have ]

It's called apostasy.

Oct 6, 2017, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: because it is located in Wake County and was purchased ]

Do I win anything?????

Well it's situated in the County of Wake had

Oct 6, 2017, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Uh... that's actually it. ]

something to do with it is all I remember.

Re: How many of you mangers know how the name Wake Forest

Oct 6, 2017, 10:19 AM

A long, long time ago, in a land far, far away, there lived a man. This man's name was Forest. Now, Forest wasn't exactly the most popular guy around, but he did manage to make the best darn floral arrangements this side of the Mississippi. Now, every time any one in the tri-state area needed arrangments made for their particular occasion, they would always ask have to travel to go see Forest. He never traveled anywhere. The other problem with Forest, was that once he fell asleep, it could be days before he woke again. People would literally have to stay with him and wake him up every day just to make sure he got their arrangements done. So, eventually people started saying things like well let's go wake Forest. It eventually caught on, and they just named the town Wake Forest.

Also, Forest had a reputation of being weak, which is where we get the misnomer "Weak Florist"

Oct 6, 2017, 10:20 AM

This is a noble effort....

but in vain. Think deacons and moonshine....

Screw Calford.

Oct 6, 2017, 10:46 AM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!!!

What Mrs. Gump would tell the nanny when it was

Oct 6, 2017, 10:35 AM

time to get her son out of bed?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Oct 6, 2017, 10:36 AM

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it Wake Forest, which of course in German means a whale’s v@gina.

Message was edited by: theclash®

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

nice annectdote but in fact

Oct 6, 2017, 10:45 AM

It was named for the estate of the wife of colonial Governor Tyron's wife Lady Margaret Wake back in merry ol' England.
The county takes its name from the same family.

Although I do enjoy a good Baptist hipocracy story as much as the next guy, revisionist history is just plain wrong.

Re: nice annectdote but in fact***

Oct 6, 2017, 10:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: nice annectdote but in fact

Oct 6, 2017, 12:06 PM [ in reply to nice annectdote but in fact ]

Gov. Tryon

Oct 6, 2017, 11:28 AM

Great post. What about the saying, "God willing and the creek don't rise", ?

Re: At their ballgames

Oct 6, 2017, 11:53 AM

When they hand off the ball to the running back the fans wake up and say “Run Forest run”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At their ballgames

Oct 6, 2017, 11:59 AM

Ha!

Heck, I am 49 and a CU graduate, but it was only recently

Oct 6, 2017, 1:26 PM

that I learned how the town of Clemson got its name.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heck, I am 49 and a CU graduate, but it was only recently

Oct 6, 2017, 2:33 PM

Like many other collegiate school colors and mascots, Wake Forest's traditional "Old Gold & Black" and "Demon Deacon" have distinctive, yet somewhat debated, origins.

As early as 1895, Wake Forest College was using its colors in athletic competition. The school's literary magazine, "The Wake Forest Student," described them in this manner:

"At last, Wake Forest has a college badge. It is a very neat button designed by Mr. John M. Heck and contains a tiger's head over the letters WFC. The colors are in old gold and black."

As the 20th century opened, those colors became frequently associated with the college, particularly its athletic and debate teams. Most historians believe that their adoption comes from the connection with the tiger mascot, and not, as some have proposed, from any association with the Bible.

Sadly, Heck, who is credited by the magazine with the creation of the tiger/old gold and black badge, died of typhoid fever at the age of 19 -- just one year after making a contribution to Wake Forest history that has lasted now for nearly 100 years.

The tiger mascot, however, remained with the school for just more than two decades. Reports indicate that by the early 1920s, the college's nicknames were most commonly noted as the "Baptists," or simply "The Old Gold & Black."

Those were difficult times for the Wake Forest athletic squads. But a gentleman by the name of Hank Garrity took over as head football and basketball coach in 1923 and for a brief period reversed those fortunes. Garrity led the football team, which had never had a winning record in the 1900s, to three straight winning seasons. And in two seasons on the hardwood, his clubs compiled a 33-14 mark.

The current nicknames of the time were not descriptive enough of this new-found athletic spirit, school newspaper editor Mayon Parker ('24) felt. After Wake Forest defeated rival Trinity (now Duke) in Garrity's first football season (1923), Parker first referred to the team as "Demon Deacons," in recognition of what he termed their "devilish" play and fighting spirit.

Wake Forest's news director Henry Belk and Garrity liked the title and began using it extensively. The name has, of course, remained as one of the most unique in America.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic