Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How can Jamie Luckie call 10 seconds
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

How can Jamie Luckie call 10 seconds

Feb 6, 2021, 3:37 PM

When he blows the whistle and sees 20 seconds still on the shot clock? Idiot!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can Jamie Luckie call 10 seconds

Feb 6, 2021, 3:44 PM

Horrible ref. Should haave been fired years ago. Out of shape and doesnt keep up with the play now

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2021, 5:59 PM

But it is proper to call that when 20 is displayed on the shot clock. When the clock starts, it is obviously at 30 seconds (even). During the first second (30.000 down to 29.001), it displays '30' on the shot clock. From 29.000 down to 28.001, it displays '29'. If this pattern continues, you'll see that when '20' is displayed, the actual clock is somewhere between 19.001 and 20.000 for the possession, meaning ten full seconds have come off the clock at that point. Ruling: Violation.

If the clock worked in the way I'm thinking that you're suggesting it does, then the shot clock would display '0' for a full second before a shot clock violation horn would sound, which would be a huge mess.

Luckie does seem to struggle a lot with his physical conditioning as he's gotten older, but as a college official myself (and a former shot clock operator), I can tell you he got that call 100% correct.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s assuming the ref saw the 20 seconds

Feb 6, 2021, 7:03 PM

on the clock and was able to blow the whistle & the clock stop without losing another fraction of a second - and our player had the ball as far down the court even with the free throw line when the clock stopped with 20 still showing - don’t you think the clock would have moved at least a second by the time he saw 20 & reacted? and I don’t know how many times I have seen the clock down to 20 seconds and the ball right at mid/court & no whistle

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s assuming the ref saw the 20 seconds

Feb 7, 2021, 9:25 AM

No...having called that play myself many times, I know that's not at all how an official approaches that play. Once you sense the 10 seconds is near, as long as there's not active pressure on a ball handler in the backcourt, which there wasn't for us on the pass prior to the ball advancing over the division line, I can attest that your eyes go to the shot clock, with the ball in your peripheral vision. It's the official's job, on time-related violations, to not be a second early or late with his reaction on that play. The determination comes as soon as the '21' changes to '20'. Not a second sooner or later. You're allowed delayed whistles on fouls, non-timing violations. When the shot clock is there to show everyone in the building whether you're doing your job, you have to be exact with it.

As far as the position of the player who caught the ball...on that call, possession must be established in the front court for the violation to not be called. On that particular play, the ball had to be caught in the front court PRIOR to the '20' displaying on the clock. If the ball is in the air, even if it has passed the division line, it would still be a violation, because Clemson had not established possession in the front court.

Feb 7, 2021, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: How can Jamie Luckie call 10 seconds ]

Good explanation. Jamie got it right.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2021, 6:33 PM

Jamie Luckie and Ted "TV Teddy" Valentine are the two worst refs in the game and have been for years. Don't understand how they're both still employed.

Wut???***

Feb 6, 2021, 6:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2021, 3:02 PM

I’ve seen Luckie do Clemson in many times during the years He is no friend of Clemson

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic