Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking for some serrous recs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Looking for some serrous recs

Apr 8, 2021, 4:35 PM

with the typical joungy responses (which can also be factored in, given the scenario below).

Dad's got a big b-day coming up and I want to take him on a dope golf trip. I've looked at Pinehurst, and $4k seems a bit pricey at the moment, and my hormonal wife would probably flip her ####.

Any trips out there that are bad a$$ but sub $2k? Preferably an easy-ish drive from Upstate SC / ATL / Charlotte. Would prefer something other than Myrtle, but open to suggestions.

Any NC bros or upstaters have any Pinehurst pro tips?

Dad won't fly...that's an arrest waiting to happen haha, or we'd 1,000% be going to Bendon Dunes.

bengaline
clemsonrulez08®
BigDaddy®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how bout the Masters?***

Apr 8, 2021, 4:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Dogwood Golf Club, across from Patak***

Apr 8, 2021, 4:38 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how bout the Masters?***

Apr 8, 2021, 4:41 PM [ in reply to how bout the Masters?*** ]

well...we're a little late. don't have a tour card. and can't win the US open in time to play next year's before the bday.

plus ANGC closes down for the summer...

probability of anyone being a member and posting here = 0.0001%

Where else? Myrtle Beach!

Apr 8, 2021, 4:39 PM

Get tired of a full 18 holes in one day? Go to a putt-putt and a tiddy bar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not a big destination golf guy... BUT

Apr 8, 2021, 4:40 PM

My friend and coworker is. He plays 2-3 rounds a weekend, every weekend. So I am getting him to put together a Pinehurst base camp weekend. Will report back, dawghater23

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

thanks homie

Apr 8, 2021, 4:43 PM

I'm not either...but it's the big 6-0, and Pinehurst No. 2 is on my bucket list and I'm sure it'd mean a lot...but ####, $4k plus for 2 people is steep. I reckon I need to sell more robots...

But based on my preliminary research...playing their courses without staying at their resort is a gamble. Hoping there are some local tips around this, but seems they get you by guaranteeing tee times for resort guests, and opening the tee times for non-resort guests 5 days in advance.

I agree with you

Apr 8, 2021, 5:10 PM

Paying that premium to play that course isn't worth it to me. Buddy says #4 after the redesign is amazing. So you could get an Air BnB in Pinehurst, play one day there and then branch out to other courses around the area. Big note recommended by friend: the courses at Pinehurst, #1-#9, were built in the early 1900's for the rich whites, so a couple of them are considered executive courses and play extremely short. So if you want to play a Pinehurst numbered course, check the cards before you sign on to play the course or you may be playing mini-golf.

Other Pinehurst/Southern Pines courses recommended:
-Pine Needles
-Mid Pines
-Mid South
-Talamore
-Longleaf (apparently half of the course is located within an old horse track, and gives off heavy Pinehurst vibes)

Outskirt Courses recommended:
-Tobacco Road (like a kid created a golf course, one of the wildest courses youll ever see, built in a rock quarry, you have like 20 ft tall flags, 100 ft deep bunkers, highly recommended), Sanford
-Carolina Trace (solid Robert Trent Jones Jr. course), Sanford
-Dormie Club (also a solid course, always seems to be in good shape, located on hunting land), West End, NC
-Legacy, Aberdeen, NC

Food: check out Dugans downtown for a sick ribeye steak sandwich. The Pinecrest Inn has an insane 24 oz pork chop thats like some 80 yr old famous recipe

Final Pro-Tip from friend:
They should prolly plan on spending an evening on the grounds of the main Pinehurst pro shop. The Cradle is a fun par 3 that they'll let you borrow whatever wedge/putter combo you want or you can bring your clubs but there's music playing the whole time and the practice facility is just jaw dropping Some of the best grass you'll ever see in your life. Also the putting green has an 18 hole putt putt course on it that's free and its insane. Plus there's cup holders on every hole for your beverage.

dawghater23

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

much appreciated

Apr 8, 2021, 5:19 PM

This may be the move. Air BNB in the area, try to get on Pinehurst courses for a round and go from there.

There are a few CCs in Charlotte that I have access to, so we can fall back on that if needed for the day I fly in or fly out.

thanks again bro

This guy geeks out over golf

Apr 8, 2021, 5:20 PM

I very much made his afternoon with this question. He has family in Pinehurst, so hes very familiar with the area.

Re: much appreciated

Apr 8, 2021, 6:10 PM [ in reply to much appreciated ]

I support this 1000%.

#4 and #8 are better courses than #2 (without the history). But you should absolutely plan an afternoon around the clubhouse at Pinehurst. The cradle (par 3) and Thisle-dew (putting course) are great times and the bar and restraint there aren’t bad.

Other courses I’ve played and are awesome:
Dormie
Tobacco Road
Pine Needles
Mid Pines

All great!

Message was edited by: elwyn07®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've done a few golf "trips" like that, and live an hour

Apr 8, 2021, 6:13 PM [ in reply to much appreciated ]

away, but stay in Sanford area anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Wait, you've played Tobacco Road?

Apr 8, 2021, 6:12 PM [ in reply to I agree with you ]

Dead seriously a fun course. Dawg, if you're going to play it, definitely buy the yardage book or I think they've developed an app...or give me a shout and I'll come be a fourth with y'all and show you where to go.

Oh, this was your co-worker's write-up. Yeah, totally agree with his write-up.

Shot my first even par round at Pine Needles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pay for the caddie at Tobacco...

Apr 8, 2021, 6:15 PM

Start a go fund me... you’ll get at least $5.22 out of this crowd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now I'm itching to play there...it's been, hold on let me

Apr 8, 2021, 6:16 PM

check my app...

2016. Yeah, it's time to play there again. Shot an 85 too, which at the time was a bad round, but that course can punish the ever living hell out of you.

Take him to the Bobby Jones muni off Howell Rd.

Apr 8, 2021, 4:48 PM

T-time at 1:00.

Then go to Dugans on Ponce for wings and beer.

From there, head over to Jock's and Jills on Peachtree for more beers until 11PM or so.

Head out with the old feller to MJQ back on Ponce until about 3:30, then take the short walk down to Claremont Lounge. Stay there long enough and you can eat breakfast at Majestic Diner before retiring him home.

TRDJ has run that gauntlet a time or 20 all prior to Y2K. TRDJ is too old to handle it now, but your pops will LOVE it.

lol - those days are long gone man

Apr 8, 2021, 5:08 PM

Bobby Jones has 9 greens...disaster

0% chance old man signs up for anything Atlanta related haha. only time he came to ATL was for the kick off games in the dome, and for my graduation.

Re: Looking for some serrous recs

Apr 8, 2021, 4:50 PM

Stay in Charleston. Play one of the Kiawah courses (Ocean or Turtle IMO), Stono Ferry, and Wild Dunes. Eat at Chubby Fish, FIG, Rodney's, Leon's, The Ordinary, and Malagon.

or

Stay in Pawley's Island. Play Caledonia, Pawley's plantation, and TPC MB in Murrells. Eat at Frank's Outback, Perone's, Sol, Hot Fish Club, Costa, and don't miss Lee's Inlet Kitchen

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

was just checking out caledonia

Apr 8, 2021, 5:05 PM

looks pretty tight. thanks mane

we used to have a place at Wild Dunes, played both of those courses a lot. Dad's played Kiawah Ocean Course a few times too, so trying to mix it up.

I haven't played Ocean Course yet so it's on my list.

The Triumvirate!

Apr 8, 2021, 4:58 PM

Oconee Golf Links
Pickens CC
The Rock GC

But seriously, check out Barnsley Gardens Golf Club near Adairsville, Ga

Barnesly is sweet

Apr 8, 2021, 5:49 PM

Dad hasn't played there, but I did a few years ago. Good call

You misspelled Boscobel.***

Apr 8, 2021, 8:06 PM [ in reply to The Triumvirate! ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I tagged you hoping you had a Cliffs membership

Apr 9, 2021, 9:55 AM [ in reply to The Triumvirate! ]

lol

c'mon money bags hook a brother up!!

Robert Trent Jones golf trail

Apr 8, 2021, 5:57 PM

Pick a place - Birmingham, mobile, etc...

Great courses

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a solid rec.....also, if you haven't done it yet

Apr 9, 2021, 8:15 AM

the Natchez Trace Parkway is a pretty cool way to get down that way from here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

haven't done that yet

Apr 9, 2021, 9:54 AM

but it's on the list. actually missing out on a bro-trip in a couple weeks playing those courses in huntsville.

we played a few RTJ courses...one of which was in Auburn when Cam beat us in Jordan-Hare.

I’m not a golfer and the kiawah thing has been covered

Apr 8, 2021, 6:59 PM

Bluffton/Hilton Head is legit

What about Jacksonville? TPC Sawgrass is in that area, right?

we played sawgrass for his 50th

Apr 9, 2021, 9:52 AM

he's played there a bunch.

I grew up in that area, so we've played pretty much every course that's tight from St. Auggy up to Wild Dunes.

Re: What’s wrong with golf on the Grand Strand?

Apr 8, 2021, 7:03 PM

From Calabash to Pawleys Island you can’t beat the selection of courses. Try the River Club in Pawleys or Prestwick in Litchfield. Tough but fair.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Highlands/Cashiers

Apr 8, 2021, 8:06 PM

Stay at the Inn and play Wade Hampton. One of the best Donald Ross courses around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I am a horrible golfer, but have friends who like to play

Apr 8, 2021, 8:44 PM

so I play sometimes. Wade Hampton is a Fazio course I think (as is Thornblade) - I remember the member who let me play with him telling me it had less elevation changes than Thornblade.

Probably been at least 10 years since I played there, but it was a beautiful course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct about Fazio....I had it confused with

Apr 8, 2021, 9:17 PM

Highlands, close by, built in 1928.

If you want to save some money

Apr 8, 2021, 8:18 PM

You can hit Links o Tryon, Woodfin Ridge, and the Boilings Springs Golf Center all in a day. Stay at the Red Roof Inn on the interstate and hit Heddles Hideaway, Pinewood, and 3-Pines the next.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

I've actually played Links o Tryon lol***

Apr 9, 2021, 8:37 AM

Wait...it cost $4k to play a round of golf for 2 people?***

Apr 9, 2021, 8:08 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the whole trip would've been north of 4k

Apr 9, 2021, 8:30 AM

to play No. 2. I don't know what a per round cost is, b/c they don't publish it. There's a whole lot of * related to No. 2.

The package was 3 rounds, 2 nights in their hotel...quote was around $4800 if I remember correctly. Included supper and breakfast, fwiw (which I'd rather either cook at an Air bnb or eat off the resort)

FWIW Usually around $300 per round at No2

Apr 9, 2021, 9:49 AM

Then you spend another $100 on caddies.

It’s more of an experience and it’s neat, but the course is hard and it’s pricy

try hilton head, i haven't played over there in a while so

Apr 9, 2021, 8:18 AM

the courses should be in pretty good shape.

I have not done it yet, but as already mentioned

Apr 9, 2021, 8:26 AM

The Pine Needles/Mid Pines trip is supposed to be a good one. My cousin’s father was part of the ownership group there until he passed away, so alas I have no pull unfortunately but I have heard great things about those courses. Buddy just went up there a couple months ago and loved it.

Also, look at Charleston and doing the Ocean Course. They do specials from time to time I hear. Great trip if you don’t mind getting beat up by the course and losing a bunch of golf balls.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Any one you favor over the other?

Apr 9, 2021, 8:36 AM

Here's what I think the move is gone be:
- Friday: fly in shoot for a Pinehurst course as a random; fall back plan will be a local course or a CC in charlotte
- Sattidy Mawn: Tobacco Road (can reserve mid-June now)
- Sattidy Afternoon: shoot for another Pinehurst course; par 3; #### around; or play a local course
- Sundee Mawn: Pine Needles / Mid Pine tee time (can book 30 days out)

Fly out Sundee afternoon from CLT

Is Boscobel not still a thing ?

Apr 9, 2021, 9:24 AM

I mean, I drive the three hours every Saturday to a scramble. Saturdays are for the boys

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic