Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago -Vietnam - Picture #3
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

50 years ago -Vietnam - Picture #3

Nov 2, 2020, 10:53 PM
thumbnail.jpeg(139.5 K)

This is a picture with the bunker in which a guy hung a picture of his girlfriend inside and one of the flesh-eating rats ran up the wall with him shooting at it with a .45 pistol. He missed the rat and shot his girlfriend's picture. I don't remember why I would be eating C-rations when a mess hall was less than 100 meters away. I also don't know much about the things on that table- one looks like an M-16 magazine and one resembles a pack of cigarettes but I have never smoked. At least this one is not sideways.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Picture #3

Nov 2, 2020, 10:59 PM

I know you said you don’t recognize the things on the table, but if you had to guess what is that at your 2 o’clock, green satchel ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 11:03 PM

The round thing behind me near the door of the bunker? That is just a sandbag that is shaped funny.

His 2 o’clock, in front of him

Nov 2, 2020, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Picture #3 ]

On the corner of the table, looks like a cap resting on top of something . . .

That was a “long drink of water” that young clover was!!! How tall are you clover?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His 2 o’clock, in front of him

Nov 2, 2020, 11:40 PM

I often need an assist, thanks Skeet!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2020, 1:09 PM

That might be one of the soft canteens we carried but I am not sure - looks like it has a round cap on the far side of it.

Nov 3, 2020, 1:07 PM [ in reply to His 2 o’clock, in front of him ]

I was only 6 feet tall back then - probably shorter by now.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:29 PM

That's a funny story! I'll bet he had fun explaining this to his girlfriend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2020, 1:10 PM

He was sad - I think he blasted her right in the face.

Thanks so much for your service in that bloody war.

Nov 3, 2020, 12:22 AM

Interviewed a Colonel, a trustee at the Citadel, who was an Infantry Captain at Hue, he almost broke down talking about losing over 200 of his Company there.
Also, my dear Brother, Barry Alexander was shot down in his chopper on medivac mission with only 2 week left. He had his 22nd bday party the night before...YouTube Body Bags and Dogtags, a Tribute to CWO Barry Alexander

Re: Thanks so much for your service in that bloody war.

Nov 3, 2020, 1:11 PM

Had my 22nd b-day 3 days after being wounded.

Nov 3, 2020, 12:40 AM

Your buddy must have been a rookie at rat shooting. We would take the wire from C-rat cartons and cut it up into small pieces, remove the lead from a .45 shell, punch out a couple of pieces of cardboard from a c-rat box, and load the .45 shell with the pieces of c-rat wire ...... basically making a shotgun load for your .45 pistol. It was a lot easier to hit a rat, plus a lot safer than firing the .45 round.

About this same time in 1970 we were on an operation on top of a mountain overlooking Elephant Valley and our accomodations had been previously made by another platoon and consisted of ammo boxes stacked up for the sides, some sort of planking for the top and plated on the outside with sand bags. Th inside must have only been maybe 3' or 4' high as you had to crawl on your knees around the inside to get to your sleeping bag and air mattress. As I was getting all my junk in place and laid down on my sleeping bag, I looked up and saw the name of one of my former OCS and Basic School Classmates, Thomas Cubert, written on the ammo box to my right. He had been keeping tab of his rat "kills" and had about six hatch marks below his name. Fortunately I did not stay there long enough to break his record as I think I may have gotten only a couple ..... and these things were rats ..... not mice!

Nov 3, 2020, 7:37 AM

I suspect an easier way to kill rats would have been to open a c-rat can of ham and eggs and leave it for them to eat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2020, 6:23 PM

That's true ...... doubt that you could trick them into eating beans and mf's. My men sure wouldn't!

This rat caught him by surprise so he had no time

Nov 3, 2020, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Picture #3 ]

to prepare for the hunt. That was after we found out about how they were chewing on fingertips in the middle of the night.

Nov 3, 2020, 6:29 AM

great picture thank you for your service

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

love these stories. In my younger years, I would ride the

Nov 3, 2020, 7:18 AM

tractor with my dad. I always carried a hoe handle and my job was to kill any rat we saw. Once I had the "day off" and my older brother took my place. I had been Dove hunting and they were not flying. I hopped on the other side of the tractor. We saw a rat on my brother's side, he shot several times with the .22 and missed. The rat ran up under the tractor and came out my side. Well, he didn't survive the 12 gauge shot with #6's. We had no idea where the poor thing went to. All we saw was a hole in the freshly plowed dirt and not a piece of rat remains left.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: love these stories. In my younger years, I would ride the

Nov 3, 2020, 9:01 AM

Sounds like you made a nice rat pudding!

Nov 3, 2020, 8:08 AM

Thanks for your service! Veterans Day is a week from tomorrow!
Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad you brought up the cigarettes. Seems like every

Nov 3, 2020, 9:06 AM

war movie ever made, just about every soldier smokes like a chimney.

I smoked for about a week when I was 14. Then, I said to myself, "Self, if this is what it takes to be considered COOL, you just ain't ever gonna be COOL." And I put them down. And, I am so glad I did, because nearly all of my classmates who DID smoke back then, still do to this day. I have saved THOUSANDS of dollars over the years due to that one act of quitting. I blew them on cheeseburgers, but hey, you gotta eat, right? :(

if I'm not mistaken, that looks like a pack of Viceroys.***

Nov 3, 2020, 11:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: if I'm not mistaken, that looks like a pack of Viceroys.***

Nov 3, 2020, 4:09 PM

Viceroy - "All the taste, all the time" lol. It's amazing what stays with you from your childhood. Remember the endless cig ads ?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I salute you

Nov 3, 2020, 3:28 PM

Thank you!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic