Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here's a challenge for you Tillman supporters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Here's a challenge for you Tillman supporters

Jul 18, 2015, 10:35 AM

Get in your cars. Drive out to Lee or Allendale or Williamsburg counties. Find the oldest blacks you can find. Then ask them what it was like growing up in South Carolina. Ask them what it was like for them to go to school, to even think of voting, to see a confederate flag.

After you're finished listening to Ben Tillman's legacy, take a drive around these counties. See for yourself what one man can do to an entire people. What one man set in motion is taking year to rectify. Years.

Should that man be honored at Clemson? A

We aren't taking about General Lee- who fought for his home state. We aren't talking about George Washington- who called his slaves his family and set them all free upon his death. We aren't talking about

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure what happened to the end of your post

Jul 18, 2015, 10:53 AM

but what was there was well done and spot on. Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman

Jul 18, 2015, 11:02 AM

and what he stood for. Rather, people are fighting against this ridiculous notion lately that we must try to undo, hide, or ignore history. Not only that, but we are also supposed to do this because people are offended.

Where does it end? How many people must get offended for something like this to become an issue? Who decides that? Also, who decides what is justifiably offensive and what is not?

It is all pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman

Jul 18, 2015, 11:09 AM

I agree completely. You cannot change history. You cann never do enough to appease the offended because they will always find something new. For those who want to remove every trace of slavery, when are they getting a boat back to Africia? And before you bash, check your sarcasm meter. That is to show how stuipd this all can become.

Jul 18, 2015, 1:42 PM

No..it can get worse....wait till you see what happens when MLK holidays and memorials get asked to be removed. ..after all. ..erase the history of what he fought for but keep every thing that honors it, right?

Jul 18, 2015, 11:11 AM [ in reply to My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman ]

Hey Jefferson, I live here. You need to do your homework. Some things are indeed true but people like you bend it way beyond reality. You need to work for CNN or MSNBC. Take this to another board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2015, 11:14 AM [ in reply to My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman ]

I agree. It is going to come to a point when we're just gonna need to destroy all the history books to keep from offending people in present day.

For Example:

My family is Irish, and Irish immigrants were treated like crap. Therefore, we need to do away with St. Patty's Day and not mention anything about Irish immigrants anymore in textbooks.

I'm like you, I DO NOT support what Tillman stood for, but it happened.

Irish are a bunch of drunks.

Jul 18, 2015, 3:46 PM

Or so the stereotyping goes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, that's basically just true. I can say that because my

Jul 18, 2015, 4:03 PM

ancestors are Welsh. The reason the Irish wound up in Ireland is because we had to ask them to leave. They weren't drinking or smoking enough, and their stories had a certain amount of credibility to them.

DEAD SPOT ON JUDGE!!! Thank Youuuuuuu***

Jul 18, 2015, 11:41 AM [ in reply to My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman ]

Very well stated Judge ...***

Jul 18, 2015, 4:20 PM [ in reply to My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2015, 5:26 PM [ in reply to My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman ]

You offer a straw man...'it's not about Tillman, it's about where will it stop'. That's a complete red herring. Do people today continue to honor a man who murdered people because they were black or not? It's not about history, it's about what we "honor" as a people.

In fairness Judge Keller, with respect, do you really believe people would continue to honor Ben Tillman if he had killed white people?

Jul 18, 2015, 7:12 PM [ in reply to My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman ]

Can we stop all of this and think about our Marines and our Sailor who were gunned down in their own country? This is what is happening now. The Civil War has been over many years ago. What is going on now is what is important to our country. The Confederate flag has been taken off the Statehouse grounds, let's move on and try to stop what is going on today in our country.

It's not about history . It's about the future. No one can

Jul 18, 2015, 7:48 PM [ in reply to My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman ]

erase history.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2015, 10:38 PM [ in reply to My observation is that "Tillman supporters" are not supporting Tillman ]

Shocking the ###### bag race baiting troll OP has no response to judges post.

Congrats Jefferson you are a pathetic loser.

null

soon as you locate someone who supports

Jul 18, 2015, 11:10 AM

Ben Tillman's political philosophies, get back with us.

In the meantime, put a cork in this lame effort at divisiveness.

You're in favor of changing the name on the iconic bldg on Clemson's campus....we got it. Stop pretending there are "Tillman supporters" out there so you can continue repetitive posting. Dylann Roof is in jail and probably doesn't have internet access to Tnet

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why don't you go out and find 100

Jul 18, 2015, 11:11 AM

confederate soldiers that fought in that war and ask them why did they leave their mothers, fathers, wives and children to go off hundreds of miles to fight. Ask if it was to protect their rights to own slaves.

Then go ask 100 that fought for the Union and ask them if they left their families to free the slaves. They would not even have them in their armies. If you remember the 54th Massachusetts, then you know what I mean.

Re: Why don't you go out and find 100

Jul 18, 2015, 5:22 PM

> confederate soldiers that fought in that war and ask
> them why did they leave their mothers, fathers, wives
> and children to go off hundreds of miles to fight.
> Ask if it was to protect their rights to own slaves.
>
>
> Then go ask 100 that fought for the Union and ask
> them if they left their families to free the slaves.
> They would not even have them in their armies. If you
> remember the 54th Massachusetts, then you know what
> I mean.

Ben Tillman didn't fight in the Confederate War. The issue about Tillman isn't about "erasing' history, it's about who we honor today. And where does it stop? It stops when you stop honoring anyone from our past who murdered innocent people because they were black. That's a good stopping point.

There was a Confederate War?

Jul 18, 2015, 10:42 PM

I'm confused.

I think the thing that you and those like you miss

Jul 18, 2015, 11:12 AM

is that there are decidedly few "Tillman supporters" here or anywhere else for that matter.

That's because it's not about "supporting Tillman".

It's about recognizing that the sort of hate and racism he espoused hasn't been a major part of our culture for many years... likely it hasn't even existed en masse in the US since the '60's in any meaningful form.

Sure, there are outliers; just as those that flew planes into NYC buildings don't represent the majority of the American Muslim community.

Problem is that you, and those like you, refuse to give up the hate and the angst over what lies in the ruins of history.

Racism won't be over until you forgive the crime -

not forgive me, or forgive a building, or forgive the BOT in 1946...

it won't be over until you move into the present and become part of today's positive solution to racism by forgiving the sins of the past.

Renaming a building is a cheap emotional trick that fails to require a truly mature emotional leap from you.

That's why you like it - it's just so easy, renaming a building -

you'd rather visit the drive-through at Mickie D's instead of staying at home with the family to join in collectively preparing a meal for all to then enjoy.

Renaming a building does nothing to further "true community".

right. the flag hasn't been a part of our culture for 150

Jul 18, 2015, 4:05 PM

years. And yet some right-wing clown flying a rebel flag killed 9 people in a black church during a service because apparently he thought they were destroying white society and had to be killed.

one idiot with a gun isn't nearly as dangerous as

Jul 18, 2015, 7:06 PM

an ingrained culture of political victimization designed only to fractionalize society further.

Re: Here's a challenge for you Tillman supporters

Jul 18, 2015, 11:20 AM

You are a racist

Jul 18, 2015, 2:38 PM

After reading numerous post on this board in recent weeks, I've come to the conclusion that a good portion of the people on this site are just as ignorant and racist as the people rallying today. The sad part is, they don't even see their own ignorance. I only hope my generation can be more open minded, than those that came before us.

Re: Here's a challenge for you Tillman supporters***

Jul 18, 2015, 11:21 AM

Jul 18, 2015, 11:21 AM

What does this have to do with football? Can we move the soapbox to the lounge please?

Jul 18, 2015, 11:23 AM

Heres a challenge for you. Why don't you research the institutional names at usuck? You'll find a gold mine. Including your mascot who is named after a slave owning general

Oh Judas Priest!!! What is more scary is people out

Jul 18, 2015, 11:38 AM

in the world like you....WOW!

Jul 18, 2015, 12:07 PM

Nobody in their right mind supports what Tillman did. Clemson has acted as they've seen fot and renounced him. Drop it. Its ancient history. Everybody has adversities in life to overcome. Nobody living has been a slave, or slave owner. No excuses for his behavior, and no excuses for Black folks in todays America.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em coot

Jul 18, 2015, 12:10 PM

Do you support tearing down the horseshoe at USCheat since it was built by slave labor. Slaves owned by USCheat. All this happened before USCheat was closed in 1877 to throw out the black students, and reopened as an all white college.

Jul 18, 2015, 12:44 PM

So a counter question, is that the way it is today? Oh, it's not? Ok, moving on.

If you want progress then progress forward, build a better future and stop dwelling on the past that you can not change.

Jul 18, 2015, 1:08 PM

You chumps need to worry about the future not dwell on the past. What happened, happened.
Get over it.

Jul 18, 2015, 1:19 PM

Seems like you are the one worrying about the past and trying to change it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 18, 2015, 1:29 PM

WHAT

Re: I would rather talk to those coming out of CU. You

Jul 18, 2015, 1:06 PM

can't help but be proud of them. Do you always try to tear something down?

Jul 18, 2015, 3:10 PM

If all this racial bs doesn't stop you won't have to look very hard to find a "Tillman supporter."

''90 Clemson grad here

Jul 18, 2015, 7:14 PM

I don't pretend to defend Tillman the man. I grew up in this state, and I know his history. I also know my own genealogy, and I have ancestors I am proud of, but who did and said things that I do not approve of.

Tillman, to me, is a building, and an icon of Clemson University. I have considered naming my DOG Tillman. I knew where the name came from, but the man is ancient history. His greatest positive legacy is his involvement in the establishment of our beloved university.

I do not have a dog in the fight over the battle flag, but I am passionate about Clemson and tradition.

TILLMAN IS A BUILDING, not a political symbol, for Christ's sake!

while you are there, ask the white kids of today how it is

Jul 18, 2015, 7:39 PM

To grow up in SC. In lee county, the white kids get "shaken down" on a daily basis and live in fear. You don't think it is so, then carry your white ace down the street of bishopville on a Saturday night and get back with me. Life is not fair sometimes.

But without Tillman there might not be a Clemson University.

Jul 18, 2015, 8:00 PM

just say'n.

We should learn from our history --- not erase it.

Jul 18, 2015, 10:41 PM

OP Makes a post like this then disappears what a pathetic coward.

Take out this #### loving piece of #### mods.

No one supports Tillman you ###### bag.

null

How is Dixiecrat Strom Thurmond escaping this scrutiny?

Jul 18, 2015, 10:49 PM

He was a proud Clemson grad, but I am sure they will be on his a$$ next.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic