Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Death Valley back in the 80s
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Death Valley back in the 80s

May 2, 2019, 3:58 PM

Remember when the Visitor Section was in the North Stands sections L, K, KK? Fike side of the Hill where the Band sits now

Loved this scoreboard w/ tiger tail that wagged and red eyes

Loved the Font in the Endzones

Loved the font of the Field Numbers. Classic right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Death Valley back in the 80s

May 2, 2019, 4:02 PM

Great pictures. Love seeing historic photos of the Valley. I remember the orange walls with the yard line numbers painted on the walls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

Orange wall was great. Also loved the WEZ chain-link fence

May 2, 2019, 4:04 PM

where everyone would crowd up after a TD in hopes of getting a hand shake from a player

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Here are some older photos

May 2, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Death Valley back in the 80s ]
1961Hill.jpg(276.4 K)
49DV.jpg(121.5 K)
50sDV.jpg(128.8 K)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

still can't fill the hill up***

May 2, 2019, 4:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I was at that Maryland game with my Dad.***

May 2, 2019, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Here are some older photos ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mistaken - I see the pic was taken in 1961.........

May 2, 2019, 4:31 PM

didn't go to DV until 1964.

Hey Duga, are you in that last pic?***

May 2, 2019, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Here are some older photos ]

Re: Here are some older photos

May 2, 2019, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Here are some older photos ]

You can clearly see in the 2nd photo, they knew how to take care of IPTAY donors back then. See how close the parking spaces are to filed of play ?

I think for most of us, the best and most memorable games were the early ones with our fathers. Regardless of the year, the stadium, team, weather, record or score those games will always stay with us. We pass it on, because they passed it on to us. At times they took us when they didn't really have the time or the money, but they took us anyway.

May 2, 2019, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Here are some older photos ]

The most vivid memory I have was a NCS game that they went up on us 28-0 at halftime and the crowd clapped for our team at halftime as if to say regroup boys. I attended several games before that but I was more involved in sliding down the hill and playing football on the hill...lol

We came out in the second half and tied it up but NCS came back and kicked a field goal to win it. I just remember being so involved in cheering our guys back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I remember that game...a drunk fan went over to the band at the end

May 2, 2019, 5:46 PM

and raised cain at them. Said it was their fault we lost because they didn’t play Tiger Rag enough. :)

May 2, 2019, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Here are some older photos ]

The most vivid memory I have was a NCS game that they went up on us 28-0 at halftime and the crowd clapped for our team at halftime as if to say regroup boys. I attended several games before that but I was more involved in sliding down the hill and playing football on the hill...lol

We came out in the second half and tied it up but NCS came back and kicked a field goal to win it. I just remember being so involved in cheering our guys back.

Not quite. But close.

May 3, 2019, 1:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Here are some older photos ]

We trailed NC State 0-30 at halftime.

They went for 2 points on their last td before the half and failed.

We never tied the game.

Love that the scoreboard Tiger is visible in the first picture

May 2, 2019, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Here are some older photos ]

from the 50’s and is still there today.

May 2, 2019, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Here are some older photos ]

Tiggity -- Thanks for sharing these photos.

The first one of Tiggity's photos was made sometime after the first addition to the South stands which I believe opened during the 1958 season. The original south stands ended where the portals are located. The old press box (I called it the old chicken house) was at the level of the current portals. The "new and improved" press box in the photo doesn't look much better.

The second photo is looking toward the Northwest end zone and there are some of the old veteran's houses in the background. The hill beyond the north stands was a favorite spot for the kids to slide down the hill on cardboard. I can't put a date on that photo.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2019, 4:02 PM

Loved the orange wall along the sidelines

May 2, 2019, 4:04 PM

Before the field was laser leveled and the crown was still visible on the field, I always thought the chalk guys were drunk and couldn’t get the yard lines straight.

Know the visiting section well. Grew up sitting in Sec. M

May 2, 2019, 4:08 PM

Row GG, about 4 rows up from the visiting section. As a kid I had the unique opportunity of seeing more grown men fight in that area than I've seen in the rest of my life. People drank more back then too. Some games stand out as particularly heated, mainly every USC game, and then there's UGA (1987) which was in a class by itself. From that game until today I have always wanted to replace USC with UGA as our rivalry game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats a great memory Tiggity. Boy i bet you saw some drunks

May 2, 2019, 4:12 PM

with SCAR and UGA and NCSU fans packed around you back in the 80s!

Best Is The Standard

I was literally right in the war zone for that UGA game.

May 2, 2019, 4:15 PM

You just don't see as many mini-bottles on the ground in the stadium as you used to see. Much more family friendly now, and a different breed of fans since it takes $5k a year to sit in the lower section now.

Re: Know the visiting section well. Grew up sitting in Sec. M

May 2, 2019, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Know the visiting section well. Grew up sitting in Sec. M ]

that's funny, we're in R GG and now have the visitors right next to us. They always mistake R for S and we have to run them out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

That 87 UGA game was epic. My freshman year.

May 2, 2019, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Know the visiting section well. Grew up sitting in Sec. M ]

We were so packed into the student section that you couldn’t turn around unless everyone around you did too! Wouldn’t be allowed today, that’s for sure.

Yeah, was hard to realize just how crowned the field was....

May 2, 2019, 4:14 PM

until it was corrected. But how many of you can remember DV from 1964? That's my oldest memory of going to a game there with my Dad - was only 9 years old.

My earliest game that sticks out was homecoming 1983

May 2, 2019, 4:16 PM

versus UMD I think, with the balloons. But I went to games earlier than that one.

Re: Yeah, was hard to realize just how crowned the field was....

May 2, 2019, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Yeah, was hard to realize just how crowned the field was.... ]

Bringing back some memories. First game was in 1957. How that place has changed. Most of the time I sat in the west endzone for a whopping 50 cents. Sometimes I would sit on what was the visitors side. Dang, getting old.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, can still picture Frank Howard in his suit standing...

May 2, 2019, 4:27 PM

on the sideline. And hear Tiger Bank playing Tiger Rag followed by Dixie.

And it always seemed when I was a kid that there was always somebody smoking beside me and/or in front of me - glad that's one thing that was done away with several years ago.

Re: Yeah, was hard to realize just how crowned the field was....

May 2, 2019, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Yeah, was hard to realize just how crowned the field was.... ]

Well, I can Tiger77. My earliest memory was also going with my dad in 1961, but we're in the same range. If you were going back in the '60s, I guess you remember the old "mobile home" press box that sat kind of atop the South Stands.

That's the truth! And the little section of covered........

May 2, 2019, 7:36 PM

seating down in front of it where Dr. Edwards and the big donors, etc. sat. Can remember one year Bob Hope came to a game in DV and sat with Dr. Edwards there.

We've come a long way from the ugly orange walls,

May 2, 2019, 4:25 PM

chain link fence, and navy blue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: We've come a long way from the ugly orange walls,

May 2, 2019, 5:13 PM

Yes I always thought the orange walls and painted stairs and portals looked awful and kept the boss orange uni's from really popping on the field.

That UVA score, was Hatfield the coach?***

May 2, 2019, 4:51 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

May 2, 2019, 5:09 PM

Yes and the visiting band was usually in that section and remember Tiger Band actually was near the top of the lower deck south stands, then to the corner next to the student section and currently their spot in the opposite corner.

Back when the hill was full and Death Valley even louder as

May 2, 2019, 6:07 PM

a result!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back when the hill was full and Death Valley even louder as

May 2, 2019, 11:57 PM

I sat on the hill many of games

May 2, 2019, 6:43 PM

Does anyone remember a home game, during either the 1963 or 1964 football season, when a thunderstorm/hailstorm occurred during the game. From what I recall, they stopped the game for a fair amount of time. My date and I were both soaked, so we had to walk back to the room I was renting over across Hwy 93 from Riggs Field to change into dry clothes for the remainder of the game, including one of my Clemson sweatshirts for her. Fun times.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2019, 11:11 AM

The hail storm occurred just before halftime. The second half was delayed so some of the hail could melt.

Sometime in the mid 60's we were playing NC State. There were torrential rains during the morning hours that stopped just before the kickoff. The crown on the field helped drain the water to the sidelines where there were openings to underground drainage lines. The field was fairly dry and the sun came out before the game was over.

The crown on the field was easy to see, even from the stands, but when one stood on the side of the field, one wondered how it might affect the play on the field.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the font looks like something from Nintendo classic***

May 2, 2019, 7:55 PM

I was a youngn’

May 2, 2019, 8:31 PM

But remember playing tackle football with other boys opposite K where the WEZ is and DJ stand is now.

Good times!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2019, 6:54 AM

While we are sharing old photos here are some from our victory over GawGaw in 1981. Enjoy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic