Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I disagree with those slamming Brownell but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

I disagree with those slamming Brownell but

Mar 10, 2018, 11:23 AM

I also think there are predictable situational disasters with him that get frustrating. Mainly time situations, when an opponent has an inbound with only a few seconds on the clock they typically get a good shot off against us, however when we are in the same situation we rarely get a good look. Also, it seems like we have tons of wasted offensive possessions where we just chuck up a long shot or a contested shot. We do tend to play good defense, so give credit there. But the three things that annoy me are 1. The poor shot selection 2. The predictable situational failures 3. The turnovers. I’m just not sure these things will ever change given it’s been 8 years. All that being said, who could we get that’s any better? Probably nobody.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I disagree with those slamming Brownell but

Mar 10, 2018, 11:28 AM

Frankly, this gets tiring. The team's on the cusp of going to the Dance with a very nice seed. This, all on the heels of losing their best player and enduring a 3-game stretch without their point guard. They just played the #1 team infinitely better than the first time around. Instead, faults have to be highlighted and the coach's ability is continually called into question. This Eeyore/Chicken Little mentality is loser fertilizer! Nothing more.

TD...I don't give a rat's behind. This is utter nonsense! Udder, for those not lactose intolerant!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post!***

Mar 10, 2018, 11:32 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2018, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I disagree with those slamming Brownell but ]

Ditto what Salty said !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't been a big fan of Brownell either,

Mar 10, 2018, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: I disagree with those slamming Brownell but ]

but I'm a big Clemson fan which means there's a time to shut up and cheer, and this is that time.

This team has already accomplished some things that few Clemson teams ever have, and it still has a chance to do more.

So shut up and cheer.

And at least wait till the season's over to go off on a guy who's finally got a team like what we've been waiting for for many years, and without one of his best players able to help out.

Go Tigers! And win the danged thing!

Mar 11, 2018, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: I disagree with those slamming Brownell but ]

I love and support Clemson basketball as much as any but are you disagreeing with what he said? I think we have a great O against most teams but like against UVA with Thomas out we needed to try something different than ball screens but even trying to get one on ones our guys were not winning so not much he could do. BB does plenty of great things tho so he deserves credit.

UVA shut down virtually every team they played

Mar 11, 2018, 5:27 PM

By this logic, all coaches except 2, should be considered weak for bot 'trying something different'

Foul trouble on one player was the difference.

Im on board with this post. Give the guy and his team your support

Mar 11, 2018, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: I disagree with those slamming Brownell but ]

Momentum and positivity are powerful things - especially when generated from the fan base. I’d say he’s earned that this season and so has this team.

Mar 10, 2018, 1:56 PM

The problem here is too many people think if your criticize something, you must not be a real fan. Or that you aren't a real Clemson person. What I believe, is the ones that harp about people making positive criticisms don't really know enough about the subject at hand. They are just people who smile, support the team and any negative talk MUST BE FROM A COOT. It's small mind and it's low intelligence. Those that can see broader, I commend you/us.

Mar 10, 2018, 9:18 PM

Pretty much, it's the resort of dumb people who can't formulate intelligent responses/counterarguments.

The one negative of having a killer football program- we have quickly accumulated the dullards of South Carolina sports "fans".

Mar 11, 2018, 11:09 AM

You can always tell when Clemson is doing well, the coots come out pretending to be a negative Tiger fan. Just Laughable!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Low intelligence is feeling the need to continually

Mar 10, 2018, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: I disagree with those slamming Brownell but ]

criticize any and everything to somehow make yourself seem more knowledgeable and important.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2018, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: I disagree with those slamming Brownell but ]

Tell-um cooter!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He ain't Dabo.

Mar 10, 2018, 8:18 PM

He won't ever be Dabo but right now he appears to be one of the best BB coaches we've ever had. He isn't perfect but that's mostly due to Clemson not being the destination of top talent. This isn't a new plight for us.

You also might note that adding players who start to a team with players that started last season leaves a coach with insufficient time to properly train players in situational predicaments. I'm not complaining about that, it's better than taking second rate players out of high school and having to teach them fundamental basics.

All in all, anyone who complains about this season should be shot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you feel the need to compare him to Dabo?

Mar 10, 2018, 8:36 PM

Dabo is great, his success is not only due to his skills, leadership, and vision. It is also due to him coaching at a school that gives him unlimited support financially in the form of:

-the best facilities
-the money for great assistant coaches and support staff
-the great salary for himself

Dabo also has the benefit of coaching at a school with a good football tradition, great fan support, and is located in a region where football is king.

Brownell has none of these advantages. So no, he isn’t Dabo, because he doesn’t have nearly the advantages Dabo does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Why do you feel the need to compare him to Dabo?

Mar 10, 2018, 8:42 PM

I agree, if we got behind basketball half as much as football our recruiting would be better, the job would be better and our product would be much better!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 10, 2018, 9:23 PM

Agreed 100%. Our fanbase doesn't really care. Take a look at TigerNet right now. It's the day before Selection Sunday and we are going to be a 4/5 seed yet half of the threads/posting are about a meaningless early season baseball game. How much baseball posting do you think you would find on the UVA or UNC message board right now? How about Louisville or even Florida State?

Bottom line - our basketball fanbase is pathetic and it hurts

Mar 11, 2018, 11:05 AM

So the % of posts regarding the sports on a free message board is a representation of the fan base at Clemson?

For lack of a better word, that’s just dumb.

We just swept GT, a rival, in our first conference baseball game of the year. When we were playing basketball while football was still going on there were both basketball and football posts.

Just because you don’t like baseball, as it appears, doesn’t mean that others don’t and do not want to discuss it. The great thing is, on each post you can discuss each sport.

Mar 11, 2018, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do you feel the need to compare him to Dabo? ]

TigerNet is a welcome mat for fans of all schools to come and voice their opinion about Clemson while clearly pretending to be a Clemson fan. Just look at the registration dates of some of these so called Clemson fans that has less than 500 post in 10 years period. They only show up with negativity of Clemson when we are at our best. They will come saying they are a long time Clemson fan and reader of T-Net but have never made a post. Some of those maybe Clemson fans, but most are not!!!

Mar 11, 2018, 12:55 PM

Jesus you are dumb as a doornail.

I wish you'd reread my post.

Mar 10, 2018, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Why do you feel the need to compare him to Dabo? ]

I covered BB's predicament with Clemson not being the destination for the better basketball players coming out of high school.

I was suggesting the OP compared BB to Dabo and thus the dissatisfaction. You guys know me. I'm not a dumper and I've never dumped on a sitting Clemson coach. You've been rubbed the wrong way about BB so much you've lost your objectivity and ability to reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wish you'd reread my post.

Mar 10, 2018, 9:01 PM

I totally agree with you, just adding to what didn’t need to be, I do that from time to time!??

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: He ain't Dabo.

Mar 10, 2018, 9:21 PM [ in reply to He ain't Dabo. ]

Nobody is complaining about this season. People are complaining about the total body of work. He had 7 straight bad seasons (any year you miss the NCAAT in the ACC is a bad year) before this year and the more intelligent posters here realize 1 good season does not dilute the significance of those 7 years.

Mar 11, 2018, 12:49 AM

On that I agree. Can he maintain this level of basketball? Can he finally become the recruiter and raise the level of recruiting given an NCAA run this season? I still question his recruiting skills. He has earned a raise, a small contract extension, and a small buy out. It would be a mistake again to create a huge buyout.

He needs to line up a quality PG for when Mitchell leaves.

Mar 11, 2018, 12:59 AM

Maybe a transfer this year who has to sit out a year?

Re: He needs to line up a quality PG for when Mitchell leaves.

Mar 11, 2018, 9:28 AM

What’s wrong with signing a high school senior? We are in the NCAAs. Can Brownell actually recruit and sign a top high school player? Quit making the dirty aau excuses. I’m tired of living off transfers. We don’t rely on them in football.

You always make such stupid comments coot. Not sure if

Mar 11, 2018, 11:27 AM

coots sign high school or transfers and I doubt any Tiger fans care. You need a hobby!

Mar 11, 2018, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: He ain't Dabo. ]

Please take in consideration that Brad Brownell took the job at Clemson knowing we had some of the worst BB facilities in college basketball. It took a while but, I'm assuming that he was told that our facilities would be improved when he signed on to be the Head Coach. Brad has done better in recruiting right after the Littlejohn construction started, and he had something new to offer recruits that they could brag about....

Mar 11, 2018, 12:26 PM

Good point! Like I said we need more than one good year to show consistency. An NCAA berth should aid in recruiting efforts. I mean high school seniors not more transfers. Making the NCAAs once every 4 years or more is not good. Ellis did that. Make the Big Dance next year and Brownell will have established something. Give him his raise with no more than 5 years on a contract. Minimum to no buyout!

We should be good next year too. Definite a tourney team!

Mar 11, 2018, 12:48 PM

Agree, we need a PG, but I don't think there is anything wrong with a transfer. I certainly understand wanting a top HS player, but most are already committed for next year, hence another transfer is probably all we could get next month.

Mar 11, 2018, 4:44 PM

Just my opinion, some may not agree.....but...
IMO, if Brownell has any hope to keep going what he presently has
going. It will be through transfers, like we've been doing recently
with guys like Donnell, Mitchell, Reed, etc...
Brad isn't a great motivator or recruiter. And needs READY-MADE players.
Clemson has shown signs of life in basketball once every 8 to 10 years.
And well...
this is it. Right now, I am not convienced we are at a turning point in
the program. Nor do I feel like we have staying power in this tourn. Sorry,
I just don't....Please, please come back and say..."you were wrong"- if that
turns out to be the case.

Mar 11, 2018, 5:16 PM

Then hire better recruiting assistant coaches who can motivate and improve the program.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic