Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big Ten Network
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Big Ten Network

Nov 19, 2012, 2:37 PM

So basically the Big Ten is making decisions solely on how they might bring in more Big Ten Network subscribers. They don't care about how it hurts fans, schools, or athletes, whatever's best for their cable network is how they're working now.

I'm sure that's going to work out great for them, because there's no way the cable industry is going down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they're not picking up much with Maryland

Nov 19, 2012, 2:39 PM

many more UVa and VT fans in the DC area than Maryland fans.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they're not picking up much with Maryland

Nov 19, 2012, 2:48 PM

My guess is they have already talked with the TV moguls about this move. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers must improve them financially or they wouldn't have considered it.

More importantly, how does this affect the ACC? I'm not so sure that it is that big of a deal. As others have pointed out, VT and UVA will allow the ACC to remain in the DC footprint. I'm not so sure it will garner the same amount of dollars from the networks, but one less team to divide up our proceeds to. If the ratings are that poor in the DC metro for the ACC, it must be a factor in the current deal ESPN offers us now. Might be a blessing to pick up another institution that will generate more money and football strength to our conference and more importantly, Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big Ten Network

Nov 19, 2012, 2:39 PM

Everyone talks about the SEC but the Big Ten network is the top money maker in college football. By adding DC and New York they will be making huge money in the future.

null

Baloney

Nov 19, 2012, 2:45 PM

The Big Ten Network tells everybody the Big Ten Network is making millions, but I think that's a load of crap. How are they making so much money on women's soccer games?

And the ACC has done what to counter any of this for the

Nov 19, 2012, 2:40 PM

football schools? A half in and half out ND does nothing IMO. ACC hurts fans, schools, and athletes in the football schools by not being proactive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you ever watched the B10 Network?

Nov 19, 2012, 2:43 PM

They show volleyball and soccer, and football replays. How are they making so much money? I know they say they're making millions, but come on, I'm not buying it.

Advertising...

Nov 19, 2012, 2:49 PM

They still sell TV spots during volleyball and the like...

Re: Advertising...

Nov 19, 2012, 2:53 PM

I have $108 dollars in my wallet right now, I bet I could buy out all the advertising spots for a Big Ten Network volleyball game and still have $100 left.

Re: Advertising...

Nov 19, 2012, 2:58 PM

I know. I hear ya. I'm not saying they make tons of cash off of it, but apparently it is something. Just like we can convince local advertisers to pony up for signs for Jervey during a women's volleyball match here. Again, not speculating in the amount, but businesses are willing to pay. I have hundreds of cable stations but watch very few, yet someone apparently watches them because they all have commercials and companies like Time Warner are willing to invest in them.

Re: Have you ever watched the B10 Network?

Nov 19, 2012, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Have you ever watched the B10 Network? ]

There's 3 million cable subscribers in the DC area. Now they can go to Comcast in DC and try to get the Big 10 network on all those tvs, for math's sake, for $1 per month per tv.

That's $36 million a year extra, they don't have now, or $2.5 mill per team per year, just from Maryland joining.

Doesn't matter if anyone watches it.

I'm sure ACC's youtube account is set-up similarly. I mean we could get a billion hits, that'd be worth dozens of dollars.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
- Steve Martin

Re: Have you ever watched the B10 Network?

Nov 19, 2012, 3:01 PM

What makes you think they're not carrying the B10 network already? I get the B10 Network in Winston-Salem for some reason. Cable companies are losing subscribers right and left. It's like setting up your athletic conference for what's best for your pager business in the 90's.

That's something I don't understand...

Nov 19, 2012, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Have you ever watched the B10 Network? ]

Do those 3 million viewers in the DC area really give a rat's fuzzy butt about Maryland sports?

The same with Rutgers. I use to have to travel to NJ a lot for work. Our office was about 10 miles from the Rutgers campus. So one trip I decided that rather than sit in a hotel room all night, I'd go catch a basketball game. Nobody in the office could even tell me where to pick up tickets. But you ask about the Jets or the Giants or any other pro team and they were all over that.

Hellooo, did you forget about that youtube partnership?

Nov 19, 2012, 2:56 PM [ in reply to And the ACC has done what to counter any of this for the ]

I did.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
- Steve Martin

Majority of folks in DC area don't care about college

Nov 19, 2012, 2:59 PM

football. Its all about the Redskins. Big 10 network won't get much viewship in DC

Re: Majority of folks in DC area don't care about college

Nov 19, 2012, 3:09 PM

I agree with you to a point. DC is a pro sports town and viewership may lack. However, viewership will be up with the Big1?. The newness of it all will increase just out of curiosity in the short term.

If it were all about viewership only, then the ACC shouldn't have added BC and the Big 10 wouldn't have made this latest move. Apparently, there is something to all of it. I'm not sure (outside of the money) but I sure don't like where college athletics are headed. The media influence has gotten silly. Just look at the BCS and AP rankings or listen to ESPN and count how many times you hear "SEC" for proof that it has tainted college athletics.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic