Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Games of note tonight...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,366

Games of note tonight...

Mar 6, 2014, 2:48 PM

Villanova vs Xavier... pull for NOVA

Vandy vs LSU... pull for Vandy

VCU vs Richmond... pull for VCU

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Games of note tonight...

Mar 6, 2014, 2:55 PM

Seems Xavier and Richmond are more of a pain to us than LSU would be.

This years bubble seems to be getting really strong which is bad for us.

That dang Non-conf SOS is killing us really bad. It would have been better to schedule 3 top 15 teams and lost all 3 than play our 280+ SOS and lose to the 2 teams with a pulse and one bad team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2014, 2:57 PM

yep it will be a shame if we have a nice year and the SOS / RPI gets us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Games of note tonight...got pull for all of them

Mar 6, 2014, 2:55 PM

w/ a V. That should be easy to remember

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to believe we could win 11 ACC games and not get in.

Mar 6, 2014, 3:11 PM

Probably be the 1st time since they went to 64 that that has happened.

18 game conf schedule--- yes, it would be the 1st time

Mar 6, 2014, 3:17 PM

rarely has happened with 9 or 10 wins

Let's remember it's a different era

Mar 6, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Hard to believe we could win 11 ACC games and not get in. ]

Those teams that got in from the ACC with 8 or 7 or even 6 conference wins were playing in a conference of 8 or 9 teams, of which as many as 6 of those were NCAA tourney teams. Winning 7-8 games in that league meant you likely beat 3 or 4 teams going to the dance.

Today we play in a league where you play 18 conference games of which only 5-6 of those games are vs teams making the tourney. It is possible we win 11 conference games this year and beat only 1 team that goes to the NCAA tourney.

Not only are there mor teams, but not as many quality teams. In 1990 when we won the ACC outright at 10-4, there were 4 other tournament teams (Duke, UNC, UVa, and GT). Of these teams UNC and Clemson were sweet-16 teams, and GT and Duke were in the final 4. In addition Maryland and NCSU were 6-8 in conference, the same record UVa had to get into the tourney and NCSU was ranked at points during the year. Basically there was one bad team in Wake Forest.

Winning 10 of 14 games that year meant something. Winning 11 of 18 this year and having 1 win over a tourney team is no comparison.

I disagree....

Mar 6, 2014, 3:51 PM

I agree that things can get watered down... but the teams aren't getting worse.

What do you think 11-7 would be equivalent to in the old ACC? 9-7? So you take away those two games that you win?

I don't buy the logic.

I understand there are more opportunities, but that doesn't make it any easier.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I completely disagree.....

Mar 6, 2014, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Let's remember it's a different era ]

You can spin it anyway you want but considering this team was projected to finish 14th, a record of 11 - 7 or 10 - 8 (as the case may be) and a 5th or 6th place finish in the conference standings is a phenominal accomplishment by any measure. In fact, if UVa doesn't finish first in the regular season, Brownell is likely the unanimous selection for ACC COY.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It's not Spin

Mar 7, 2014, 8:39 AM

Spin is saying this year's 11 win ACC team is better than some of the 8 win ACC teams that made the tourney. Those meaningless numbers without delving further into how they were generated.

I am in no way trying to degrade the amazing accomplishments of this team. I laughed outright at projections of 10 ACC wins this year. I'll be the first to admit I underestimated Brownell and this team and I'm more than satisfied with the results this year and I totally agree, if not for UVa he is coach of the year in the ACC.

But I watched all these 7-8-9 win ACC teams play. This team could not beat them consistently. I don't care how many ACC wins they have they are not as good as any other team we've sent to the NCAA tourney. That's why I don't understand the rallying around the 11 ACC wins thing. When you deep dive the stats it's pretty easy to see the majority of them (6) come from Sub 100 RPI ranked teams and only one comes from a team inside the top 50.

I'm not going to defend RPI as the end all be all of rankings, but a team outside the top 100 is a below average team regardless of any one's ranking. The ACC of the past didn't have nearly 1/2 of its membership (ND, Wake, GT, Miami, Va Tech, BC) dwelling in this realm.

Re: Hard to believe we could win 11 ACC games and not get in.

Mar 6, 2014, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Hard to believe we could win 11 ACC games and not get in. ]

Actually it happened a year ago... UVA went 11-7 and did not receive an invite.

Mar 6, 2014, 11:20 PM

2 for 3

Mar 7, 2014, 6:33 AM

Clemson falls from 67th to 69th in RPI per Warren Nolan. LSU jumped the Tigers with their win, and Boise State moved back in front without playing.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,366
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic