Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rick Barnes goes down! Couldn't happen to a nicer jackwagon.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Rick Barnes goes down! Couldn't happen to a nicer jackwagon.

Mar 17, 2018, 8:17 PM

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rick Barnes goes down! Couldn't happen to a nicer jackwagon.

Mar 17, 2018, 8:20 PM

not sure why you would diss Barnes, he gave us a few really good years and proved to the fans and administration that you could win here. I probably would not even keep up with the Bball team if not for him.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#### him. He bailed on us.***

Mar 17, 2018, 8:21 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #### him. He bailed on us.***

Mar 17, 2018, 8:27 PM

Blame the administration for not giving him the support he needed. He wanted to win and could have turned us into a power house, but Bobby Robinson lacked the vision to see this through. Barnes was the lone bright spot in that dark era of Clemson athletics.

Mar 17, 2018, 8:41 PM

Ha-and him leaving had nothing to do with a few of the Rally Cats he had an affection for? Lol..

Mar 17, 2018, 10:42 PM

THIS!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Robinson

Mar 17, 2018, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: #### him. He bailed on us.*** ]

should have stayed as golf coach. He did ok with that. But that was about it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 8:44 PM

Eventually Clemson figured out that you had to spend money on facilities and coach's salaries to win games.

Mar 17, 2018, 8:47 PM

Clemson did. Bean counter Bobby never did

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 8:51 PM

we are getting there slowly in BBall. They need to open up the purse strings after the season so he can keep his current staff together.

You misspelled Slobby Bobinsome.***

Mar 18, 2018, 3:42 AM [ in reply to Re: #### him. He bailed on us.*** ]

Mar 18, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: #### him. He bailed on us.*** ]

So true! We wouldn’t even spend money on football.

Who the hayull coul blame him? He left for a much better job

Mar 17, 2018, 11:10 PM [ in reply to #### him. He bailed on us.*** ]

and much better situation. I always liked Barnes and hated to see him go.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I don’t blame him for leaving, but I do blame him for how he left.

Mar 17, 2018, 11:15 PM

He didn’t have to criticize South Carolina’s public schools on his way out the door as a reason for leaving. Pretty classless if you ask me.

Honestly, other than one very good Sweet Sixteen team in 96-97, we never did squat under him in the NCAA Tournament. The Slab Five team his first year was a great coaching job though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Yeah, I didn't care for that either. Even though it was

Mar 18, 2018, 1:07 AM

probably true, it was uncalled for. Still hated to see him go when he did.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Yeah, I didn't care for that either. Even though it was

Mar 18, 2018, 1:22 AM

as I recall, he was pretty pissed off at Clemson for lack of support, and the ACC for the perceived officiating bias. It was so long ago, but I seem to remember him asking for improvements in the facilities because they were way out of date and had one hand tied behind his back trying to recruit against this league. Wake, state, UNC, GT, Marlyand, and Duke were all powerhouse programs at the time. What he did with what he had was nothing sort of amazing considering how strong the ACC was in the nineties.

Agree with what you guys are saying, he did not handle it well. But he had a lot of reasons to be "fiery". He could have built something special here but just did not get much help/ respect.

Can't disagree with any of that.***

Mar 18, 2018, 9:42 AM

- H. L. Mencken

Why, because South Carolina public schools are so good

Mar 18, 2018, 10:09 AM [ in reply to I don’t blame him for leaving, but I do blame him for how he left. ]

that they shouldn't be criticized?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Careful young Padawan.***

Mar 18, 2018, 10:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a product of SC public schools

Mar 18, 2018, 11:09 AM

And that should tell you all you need to know about them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Hopefully they gave you a piece of rock candy...

Mar 18, 2018, 11:18 AM

not for eatin', but for looking through...

The world's all rosy, I'm glad you endeavored to persevere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Happy Sunday DSP

Mar 18, 2018, 11:33 AM

And to you Balmer1, it's good that posters such as we...

Mar 18, 2018, 11:39 AM

meet in this struggle of life... or death.

Happy Sunday aka Win & Advance Day.

Mar 18, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to #### him. He bailed on us.*** ]

He bailed for other reasons. He did a lot of good for us.

Mar 17, 2018, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Rick Barnes goes down! Couldn't happen to a nicer jackwagon. ]

Rick Barnes gave Clemson basketball energy, enthusiasm, and a record that eclipsed the talent he inherented. He built upon it each and every year he was at Clemson.

In my view we got more than we deserved from him at that point in Clemson BB history. We were lucky to have him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct. Remains in the Pantheon of Clemson coaches.

Mar 18, 2018, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Rick Barnes goes down! Couldn't happen to a nicer jackwagon. ]

I'd rank them in the following order:
1) Danny Ford - first Natty when no one knew where Clemson even was.
2) Ibrahim - multiple Natties
3) Dabo - great and getting better, will one day be number 1
4) Barnes - created a real basketball program out of thin air
5) Cliff Ellis - had some very good teams, was pretty consistent
6) Frank Howard - longevity, owned the coots in trying circumstances
7) Wilhelm - longevity, consistency
8) Chuck Kriese - longevity, consistency
9) Charlie Pell - made the needle move to get us to the place where we could win a Natty
10) Heisman - I'm sure his influence got the ball rolling for us to be a football school

Honorable mention: Whoever coached Concrete Canoe back when we were a dynasty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems Dabo should be #1 already*****

Mar 18, 2018, 11:04 AM

I don’t see how Ford can be ahead of Dabo.

Mar 18, 2018, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Correct. Remains in the Pantheon of Clemson coaches. ]

Different eras, obviously, but Dabo has accomplished more from a football perspective as well as an overall program perspective.

I would also put Bill Foster on there, probably ahead of Barnes. Foster coached our only Elite Eight team (thus far).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Correct. Remains in the Pantheon of Clemson coaches.

Mar 18, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Correct. Remains in the Pantheon of Clemson coaches. ]

any list that doesn't have larry penley on it is bogus.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2018, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Rick Barnes goes down! Couldn't happen to a nicer jackwagon. ]

I agree! Barnes is a class act and left because Tobacco Road has and will always control ACC basketball! He took a stand and was not backed up... Hope our team can compete well and win tonight!

Great now he can watch the Clemson game with Purnell!***

Mar 17, 2018, 9:18 PM

Re: Great now he can watch the Clemson game with Purnell!***

Mar 17, 2018, 11:10 PM

This P&C article from about 5 years ago should change your mind about Barnes. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/rick-barnes-comes-to-the-rescue-of-georgetown-boys-home/article_b4f971d4-add4-5f3c-9e2b-da1caf3e6add.html

Thanks for posting. I had never seen that.***

Mar 18, 2018, 4:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great now he can watch the Clemson game with Purnell!***

Mar 18, 2018, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Great now he can watch the Clemson game with Purnell!*** ]

great read, thanks

A good read...thanks for posting that!***

Mar 18, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Great now he can watch the Clemson game with Purnell!*** ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. Thanks for posting. Did not know that side of him.

Mar 18, 2018, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Great now he can watch the Clemson game with Purnell!*** ]

But I do remember his drawing up the Buckner DUNK to send Dean Smith and the Tarholes packing in the ACC tourney. I understand our fans feeling betrayed when he left for Texas. But he was a really good coach in Tigertown and I'm thankful for that.

Now I'm also thankful for his charitable heart and his helping the less fortunate in SC.

Mar 18, 2018, 6:39 AM

Hate on Rick Barnes all you want...but he will always be one of my favorite all time Clemson coaches because of the night almost kicked Dean Smith's ### in Littlejohn for saying something to one of our players.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic