Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General topic: Media vs Coaches and Players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

General topic: Media vs Coaches and Players

Mar 5, 2021, 11:33 AM

This is a topic spurned by the Boeheim incident a couple days ago.

This is always a tough one for me.

On one hand, I think it’s fair for media and sports reporters to ask questions to hold players and coaches to a standard. The coaches get paid a ton of money (at the big schools and in the pros) and therefore should answer things as part of their job.

On the other hand, coaches and players think about their sport more than the reporter ever does. For some reason, reporters (and the fans to) assume the coaches make mistakes due to lack of trying, when in reality they spend endless hours on strategy and thinking of every scenario. They consider things that the reporter will never even know about. So sometimes the questions are just ignorant but the coaches have to act like they still respect them.

What do you think of the media vs coaches dilemma?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: General topic: Media vs Coaches and Players

Mar 5, 2021, 11:54 AM

I think it is a non-issue overall... you always have those folks, ie blind squirrels, that find a nut and act like they solved the world's solution while others, like a coach, are out not only to find the needle in the haystack, but rather the sharpest needle.

For example, you have 50 folks spouting 50 different theories. Some are informed, some are not. Not everyone is valid nor is every equally valued. Which turns out to be true or validated with hindsight is always a interesting scenario. It is like horse racing, you know which is more likely but that 50:1 option is still there and you will have folks that are right because they picked the horse by liking the names, color, or number while other doing research may/maynot get it right.

Shrug, non-issue.

Re: General topic: Media vs Coaches and Players

Mar 5, 2021, 12:03 PM

I think being a Coach with any big time program would be hard. High expectations, high pressure, high compensation. However, everyone that has one of those jobs, asked for it. One of the duties that comes with the job is talking to the media and every single high profile Coach knew that when they took the job.

I think there’s a psychological aspect occurring, that results in the kind of behavior you see from high profile Coaches occasionally. Long time Coach, long winning program.....that guy doesn’t get questioned much in his day to day interactions....from anyone. They’re used to being celebrated, lauded, rewarded. When they get broadsided on National TV by a question from someone they’ve never heard of before, they view it as an attack and lash out. They’ve grown accustomed to never being doubted and they’ve grown accustomed to stifling all decent with a scathing remark.

To me, it shows an ego that’s been unchecked for too long.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic