Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Feaster Stats vs. Dixon Stats
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Sep 11, 2019, 9:40 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was curious what Feaster's stats look like to date at USuCk compared to our second string (assuming he would've gotten roughly the number of carries as Dixon).

Tavien Feaster
- 19 Rushes
- 136 Yards
- 7.2 Y/R
- 1 TD
- 5 Receptions
- 30 Yards
- 0 Receiving TDs

Lyn-J Dixon
- 19 Rushes
- 143 Yards
- 7.5 Y/R
- 2 TDs
- 3 Receptions
- 30 Yards
- 0 Receiving TDs

With the way Dixon has played so far, it's entirely possible Feaster would've been overtaken by him on the depth chart anyway and just saw the writing on the wall but that's not the way it was painted when he left. There's also the argument that his presence would've diluted all 3 guys and not replace Dixon 1:1...

Feaster is 2nd on the team in total carries (Rico Dowdle has 21), Dowdle also has 4 receptions to Feaster's 5 (25 total touches to 24).
They've also started running a sort of wildcat formation with Joyner that's going to take away some of his carries in addition to the 2 other RBs they rotate...

At any rate, he seems to be in the same position at USuCk and on a worse team... Can't imagine it will have benefited him more than sticking around Clemson in the long run. Glad we've got Lyn-J, he's been looking great!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feaster Stats vs. Dixon Stats

Sep 11, 2019, 9:47 AM

acevans® said:

With the way Dixon has played so far, it's entirely possible Feaster would've been overtaken by him on the depth chart anyway and just saw the writing on the wall but that's not the way it was painted when he left. There's also the argument that his presence would've diluted all 3 guys and not replace Dixon 1:1...

The wall may not have been fully painted, but it was about 3/4 finished.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a back-up in a three back rotation...

Sep 11, 2019, 9:50 AM

and only got 6 carries and 3 receptions against Charleston Southern.

That's 9 touches in a 72 point blow-out win.

Not sure that's quite what he envisioned when he made the decision to transfer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

They got to empty the bench last week so I think the Bama

Sep 11, 2019, 10:03 AM

game will be a better barometer for his workload going forward.

He averaged 5.2 carries/game last year with Adam Choice and Dixon also in the rotation. He's at 9.5 carries/game right now but he can't be expecting 15 carries a game or anything like that. ETN only had 13.6 carries/game last year. There's only 1 ball at every school and everyone employs a RB rotation these days.

Interestingly, he's the only player on their roster to have even faced Bama... Unfortunately for him, his supporting cast is vastly inferior this time around. Should get ugly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even if he gets more carries, I fail to see how being

Sep 11, 2019, 10:11 AM

tackled for loss or little gain on a lot of those carries due to an inept offensive line will enhance his NFL prospects. Maybe he fools all of us and runs for a bundle against the Red Elephants. Gnork.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 10:59 AM

So similar rate of touches, but would likely get 3 extra games with us... all on national primetime TV

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feaster was told he was third team and needed work to

Sep 11, 2019, 11:02 AM

pass Dixon. He didn't like the politics and left so he could start for the coots and be a featured back to impress nfl scouts. He said himself that he was the best RB in college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feaster was told he was third team and needed work to

Sep 11, 2019, 12:33 PM

pass Dixon. He didn't like the politics and left so he could start for the coots and be a featured back to impress nfl scouts. He said himself that he was the best RB in college football.

There is nothing "political" about a depth chart.

It's a meritocracy. The guy who can help the team most gets the ball, unless the coach needs to find another line of work.

Feaster was legit third string at Clemson because he isn't as good a RB as Dixon. Dixon's a lot more sudden through the hole, runs behind his pads better, has better contact balance and elusiveness, and is a lot harder to bring down.

Feaster is straight-linish and has very little shake, and he goes down to arm tackles far too easily...I don't know if it's that he's "soft" but his contact balance isn't great. He does catch the ball out of the backfield really well, plucks it basically like a receiver, and that could be his ticket to the NFL - I think he's got the goods to make it as a third-down back, and because Clemson puts such a premium on it he did get a lot better in pass-pro, which also matters for a third-down back.

But a feature guy? No. Not in the NFL...and it looks like maybe not even at USC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feaster was told he was third team and needed work to

Sep 11, 2019, 2:25 PM

I thought I knew some words .

Meritocracy ?

I'm fixing to find a way to work this into my vocab without using football .

Thanks Q !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

"politics" was Feaster's words not mine

Sep 11, 2019, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Feaster was told he was third team and needed work to ]

;)

When Feaster was getting 5 star status in HS, his biggest

Sep 11, 2019, 11:11 AM

asset was speed. During his freshman year, when did didn't hit the scene the way Spiller did, I remember the coaches saying, "He is used to just outrunning everybody, and he is having to learn to actually be a running back", or words to that effect.

There is no shame in that. I wouldn't last 10 minutes on that field. He is not responsible for whatever rating was given him or what for the expectations of others. And as we know, he is fast but he is not Spiller fast or Dalvin Cook fast or ETN fast. As a credit to Feaster, he became a tough runner who always got 4 yards, and who if you gave him half a crease he could go. Fine. Great. Nothing but kudos for that. And knowing Dabo, if he gave that role 100% effort and became a leader to others, he would get his playing time. My guess is that he would have retained the second guy role.

Becoming dissatisfied with that role is the only mark against him. Maybe he never turned loose of his 5 star expectations. I don't know. Maybe if he had been a 3 star he would have been even more productive than he was, as he would have been busy about being the best him rather an expectation of himself. Who knows.

TL/DR: The grass ain't hardly ever greener over there.

Re: When Feaster was getting 5 star status in HS, his biggest

Sep 11, 2019, 11:38 AM

I believe along with needing to learn to be a RB, Dabo or Elliot also mentioned that Feaster didn't know how to shift to high gear. Noting that because of his extreme speed he never really ran at top speed in high school.

Feaster is every bit as fast if not faster than ETN and Cook. The problem is that Feaster has no burst. Feaster has to shift through each gear until he gets to high gear. That's why he was never run down once he got into open field, but he often struggled to get past the linebackers. ETN looks so amazingly fast because he is in high gear before he ever breaks through the line of scrimmage.

Feaster also struggles with field vision which is another reason he can be slow to hit the holes at times.

In my opinion, the only area where Feaster is better than Dixon is top end speed. However, Feaster's struggle to get to his top speed means that Dixon is the better back in almost every situation.

I don't think Feaster left because he wasn't the starter. I think Feaster left because he couldn't separate as a clear number 2.

Right. I have no idea how those players compare in 40 times

Sep 11, 2019, 12:13 PM

or top end speed (though Cook is really fast). But as you say, in the first 10 yards it just seems like Feaster would be last of those. On the 90 yard run that ETN scored on vs GT, when Carman knocked that guy over about 5 yards downfield, ETN was going at less than half speed. There was an opening right around that guy, but some GT guys were there too who could have made the stop. But in three steps he was gee oh en ee. Like the Road Runner. Beep Beep, poof. I don't think Feaster could have quite made that play. A great 15 yard run, but not the score.

None of that is a mark against Feaster. What he was born with is what he was born with. I wish he would have stayed, and I wish we had him back, not for whatever he did on the field but because he was one of us and had chosen to be "28" in all regards. I wish he was here being all of that.

I think maybe most of our mistakes, and all our bad ones, come from trying to be a manufactured expectation rather than who we actually are. And I have done more than my share of that, so I don't hold that against him either. He's only 22-ish, for crying out loud. I was a pissant at age 22.

Sep 11, 2019, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: When Feaster was getting 5 star status in HS, his biggest ]

Feaster is every bit as fast if not faster than ETN and Cook. The problem is that Feaster has no burst. Feaster has to shift through each gear until he gets to high gear.

I totally disagree with that, he isn't as fast as either, close to them but still not quite as fast and both had/have higher ceilings. Tavien is a good college back, but is not great and after being told he was destined for greatness his whole life this was hard to swallow!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 12:53 PM

ETN and Cook are light years ahead of Feaster in terms of current ability, ceiling, or any other measurement of being a good running back.

I don't know their 40 times but would guess that they are very similar.

What I was mentioning was top end speed. If ETN or Cook have a faster 40 it is because it takes Feaster 20 yards to get to top speed. The longer the sprint, the better the odds for a Feaster victory.

Evidence of his slow acceleration was his track career in high school. He was a 200m champion multiple times but not 100m, and 100m is still much further than any run he ever made on a football field.

Like I mentioned, when Feaster got to Clemson he had a hard time getting to his top gear. This problem never went away. It is very likely that other than long runs against NC State (2017) and maybe Louisville last season, Feaster never reached top speed in a football game.

Top speed and football speed are two different things. The two guys mentioned who possess the latter are much better players.

I saw Feaster quite a bit in HS. He was a track guy who

Sep 11, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to When Feaster was getting 5 star status in HS, his biggest ]

got B gap or outside seams and simply beat slow HS LBs and DEs to the point of attack. Once he reached the second level, whether on a handoff or a swing pass or something, there was no catching him. Not a dig at the guy, just the truth.

He absolutely had to learn to be a complete RB when he got to Clemson, whereas these other guys were ahead of him on the learning curve. He gained weight, had to learn to be patient with his blocks opening up, had to learn to block and/or pick up blitzes, had an injury or two, and finally started coming into his own when he decided to leave. Hard to say how his season would've gone had he stayed, but I'm not real sure things are working out like he planned with the coots. That OL isn't going to maul people.

Sep 11, 2019, 11:14 AM

I didn't get to watch the Syracuse game but from looking at the stats it looks like they are awful against the run. I'm guessing this will be a breakout opportunity for Dixon?

Sep 11, 2019, 11:28 AM

Yeah .... but think about all the NFL scouts in Cola to watch the Charleston Southern game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feaster leaving was important for the future..........

Sep 11, 2019, 12:31 PM

Had feaster stayed, he would have diminished the number of Dixon’s carries and the carries of the other freshman. Dixon will, in all probability, be our featured back next year. He needs the work. Feaster would be good for depth and experience this year, but dabo has to get his future #1 back and the future backups all the work he can. I think feaster did us a favor.

Sep 11, 2019, 12:31 PM

I don't blame TF for transferring. As been said many times, he chose the wrong school. And that has ZERO to do with it being our main rival. Many other schools with better situations where he could've been the starter. Muschamp doesn't have the best rep either following through on what he tells players...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 12:44 PM

I agree with everyone on this. Not really a knock on Feaster b/c he was rated as high as he was. But, he never had to be a great "Vision" RB. Or a "hit the hole at full speed" RB. He caught swing passes and screens and just out ran guys. ON those plays just like a perfectly blocked running play; you were going to catch heck trying to catch him.
He's fast but not elusive! His yards per carry are high b/c he had some long runs or the play was blocked well. But, knowing when to cut back or seeing a crease and exploiting it using his speed isn't his strong suit. He is still an elite athlete and player no doubt and will test well at the combine. Where a team will take a chance and "unless he changes" will get told the same thing by an NFL team that owes him zilch!
Their job is to win, period. Sorry, this guy see's the hole better and gets us 1st downs more often, he's starting. We can cut you now or cut you later! Or you can work on your game and try to adapt. Just like at Clemson though - it's not personal and it's not a reflection of how good you are. It's more about someone else being better!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or developing talent***

Sep 11, 2019, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Feaster Stats vs. Dixon Stats ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 12:34 PM

He knew he was quickly dropping to number 3 behind L-J. That's why he portaled out.

I still think Virginia Tech was the better option for

Sep 11, 2019, 1:43 PM

Feaster - pretty sure he would be the premier back there. Ultimately Feaster made the decision he thought best but I hate seeing him in a Coot uniform. I also think his stats are about to take a nose dive - no way he keeps a 7 yard per carry average with that Coot OL and playing the likes of Bama, UGA, Florida, and Clemson. Would not be surprised if his production drops to a 3.5 ypc at the end of the year...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You will never convince me...

Sep 11, 2019, 3:04 PM

that his decision was not based, at least in part, on some level of animosity towards the coaches.

Sep 11, 2019, 1:59 PM

I would surmise that Feaster's number of carries, thus production, is directly proportional to the number of secrets he provides Muscoot about the Tiger offense.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are no secrets...

Sep 11, 2019, 3:07 PM

We're going to line up, punch them in the mouth, and dare them to stop it.

They'll know exactly what's coming and still won't be able to do anything about it because they simply can't.

Clemson is just the better team PERIOD !!!!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic