Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout

Jul 31, 2016, 12:36 PM

Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout

Read Update »

Message was edited by: TigerNet Recruiting®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is Jamey Rootes still president?***

Jul 31, 2016, 12:44 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Play their stupid game, Nuk

Jul 31, 2016, 12:46 PM

Then dip out on that @$$ when free agency hits. Clown @$$ franchise.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout

Jul 31, 2016, 12:50 PM

You made a commitment DHop when you signed your contract.....be a man of your word and honor the contract like you'd expect them to honor it for you. When your time comes for a new contract, that's when you negotiate! Don't be like the rest of the greedy punks out there....set yourself apart from the rest!!!

Jul 31, 2016, 12:54 PM

Crazy. Get that money d hop.

He's a top 5 receiver and its unarguable

Jul 31, 2016, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

This ain't ethics class, this is business. Business people break contracts all the time when it makes economic sense to do so.

Hopkins is arguably the best receiver in the game and has proven that consistently. He is currently undervalued. If breaking his contract makes economic sense, he should do it.

Jul 31, 2016, 1:00 PM

It is ethics.....when you commit to a contract then your character should be such to honor the contract. I guess it shows us where your character is...certainly wouldn't want to be in business with you...just sayin!

Jul 31, 2016, 1:36 PM

Ethics argument would apply if he could actually have negotiated his rookie contract. They are pretty much locked into a contract from their draft position. I guess he could have not signed the contract and gone to play in the CFL in protest to the unfair contracts. Yeah right. If he truly had negotiated this whole contract, then maybe you can pound your ethics book.

In a sport where each play could be your last, he would be stupid to continue to risk it for his piddly (by comparison) pay. He could sit out this year and next and I am sure he would still get paaaaiiiiiiiiidddddd in two years and be guaranteed to be healthy. He could even go to whatever contending team he wanted. Nobody wants that so why don't the Texans pay him now?

Jul 31, 2016, 2:15 PM

His agent could've negotiated a 1 year contract for much less $$$, but he wanted more money back then. It was the smart move then. Now he's "undervalued." Those were the terms because the Texans took all of the risk back then. If he would've negotiated a 1 year contract, the risk would be on him and could demand more $$$ now... But he didn't.

This is a punk move IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2016, 8:03 AM

I agree a punk move by Houston.

Aug 1, 2016, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

The risk is on Houston when they draft him because look at Johnny at Cleveland. How much did that contract cost them and look what they got. They cut him and that contract even though it wasn't up either. So Cleveland has to live up to their contract as well, but they didn't. But when you prove your worth and then some, you get rewarded. If they want to lose him, that is their issue. And how many other teams would line up to have him as a receiver? I say a few would AND they would pay accordingly. He could sign with another team and then BURN them in a game.

Jul 31, 2016, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

You're missing my point.

Unless you can put a dollar value on the "ethics" of honoring a forced contract, then this isn't an ethical discussion, it's a economic one.

The same team that complains about him holding out is the team that would cut player the second they no longer perform at the highest level, even with years remaining on the contract.

I hate the NFL, it's owners, and economics. Period. If Nuk thumbs his nose at the NFL, then I'm in his camp. Which camp are you in?

Aug 1, 2016, 12:24 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

^^^+1 for Capskick. Looks like you present things much better than I can. Kudos for that.

The problem is, the team could cut him tomorrow and with

Jul 31, 2016, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

little to no more of that contract coming to "DHop". I would rather he show up and fulfill that contract, but don't act like the Texans couldn't and wouldn't do the same to him if he sucked.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem is, the team could cut him tomorrow and with

Jul 31, 2016, 1:11 PM

I agree with you Capskick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo rewrites his contract every other year even with years

Jul 31, 2016, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

remaining on his existing one. Lets face it honor, integrity, honesty, "your word"......all that sounds
good but in sports these days that is just a bunch of bull****. Attorneys are driving these deals
not NUK, and have you ever known an attorney that puts honor, integrity, honesty etc. ahead of
contracts? I sure haven't! Do what you have to do NUK, because the NFL would certainly play strong arm
if and when they can.

Let's recap what you said

Jul 31, 2016, 2:25 PM

Dabo renegotiated- Lawyers are doing this, not Nuk- Good for you Nuk.

Clemson renegotiated with Dabo because the buyout was too small and the contract length was too short

Nuk pays lawyers and agents- Nuk is in control

The NFL can't overwrite existing contracts (i.e. If Nuk was aweful, they couldn't give him less $$ now)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So honoring business contracts is the right thing to do.

Jul 31, 2016, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

Conversely breaking business contracts would show a lack of integrity and ethics.

I'm OK with that rationale.

Jul 31, 2016, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

He can set himself apart and then leave them in the dust when it comes time to "re-negotiate" his contract. If they were smart, they would do the re-negotiating now. He has proved that he is a keeper, and believe me, some other team will lunge for DH to be a prominent part of their program.

Jul 31, 2016, 1:15 PM

So they give Watt's a new deal with two years left on his rookie contract but will not do the same for Nuk.

Jul 31, 2016, 1:29 PM

I'm not saying he's not entitled or doesn't have a right to ask for more money; however, not living up to your agreement and refusing to go to work is a character flaw. You and I lose our jobs if that happens. These players have been enabled to do this because other owners swoop right in out of greed and give them what they want. It would stop if everyone banded together and refused to accept that conduct!

You and I may lose our jobs but if we are good enough...

Aug 1, 2016, 1:45 AM

we go on to better jobs making more money. Happens all the time to companies that won't pony up and take care of their employees.

Jul 31, 2016, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Houston GM releases statement on Hopkins' holdout ]

With the numbers Nuk put up I think he deserves a "pay raise".

Question for those saying he should play

Jul 31, 2016, 1:57 PM

Let's say you performed your job as a surgeon better than any surgeon on the planet or at least as one of the top 3 surgeons in the world, yet you were paid a salary commensurate with the bottom quartile of your field. Furthermore let's say the last 2 years of your contract could be terminated at any time with no requirement to pay you what is left. Are you still going to work?? Also don't bother making the if I did this, i wouldn't have a job argument. You all are missing the first rule of economics which is supply and demand and scarcity. Yes, if I held out of my job as a school administrator, I would be replaced by sunset because there is a glut of qualified candidates waiting to be principal. Nuk works a profession and possesses a skill set that the Texans could not find someone to replicate. They can't just go out and plug in another Nuk. Ask Chip Kelly how that philosophy worked out in Philly. PAY the man!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for those saying he should play

Jul 31, 2016, 2:39 PM

You don't seem to be grasping the notion of a contract.

Let's go back to the draft day and talk about supply, demand, and scarcity. I know if I owned the Texans, I wouldn't have paid Nuk anything close to top tier WR money. And obviously Nuk didn't expect that kind of pay because he agreed to the contract. AND if he "knew" he would be this good, he would've done something different with his contract: renegotiate clause or simply a shorter termed contract.

Nuk should get to work and learn that all business deals are made or broken on the front end, not the back. Tough lesson to learn the hard way.

Jul 31, 2016, 3:26 PM

I do understand what you are saying. If the contract was equitable and guAranteed to both sides and Houston was bound to honor it as Nuk is, then I would say yes he absolutely should honor it and play it out. I also understand that it is the labor agreement that was negotiated and agreed upon by the nflpa. With all that being said, Nuk is getting ready to blow up even more so than he already has. They would be smart to pay him now as opposed to 2018 rates. If I were in his shoes and zero good faith was shown to renegotiate by the Texans, I would give them less than zero consideration as my next destination when free agency rolls around.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I guess we will just have to agree to

Jul 31, 2016, 5:24 PM

Agree.

Well said.

This would show me everything I needed to know about the Texans and they would not be considered for future employment if I were Nuk. I think he probably knew this before he failed to show up for camp tho. Glad he's not dragging this out now.

Jul 31, 2016, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for those saying he should play ]

The Texans renegotiated JJ Watt's contract early. It is not unheard of in their organization.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 31, 2016, 7:13 PM

So the Texans renegotiated JJ Watt's contract after his first three years but won't renegotiate Nuk's.

What's the difference between Nuk and JJ?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Look they know they got him as a steal in the draft!

Aug 1, 2016, 1:18 AM

He was overshadowed on his own team by all the Sammy Watkins talk....now with that out of the way they still wanna milk a superstar without paying him top 10 pick pay he deserves cause they wasted money on Clowney......that's the truth!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic