Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: ESPN draft experts discuss Watson as an NFL prospect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

FB Update: ESPN draft experts discuss Watson as an NFL prospect

Dec 1, 2015, 10:14 AM

ESPN draft experts discuss Watson as an NFL prospect

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Either DW4 isn't as good as we think, or McShay is no expert

Dec 1, 2015, 10:23 AM

Which is it?

McSham is a clueless doofus... year in, year out.***

Dec 1, 2015, 10:26 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Someone should go look to see where he had Evel Keneival

Dec 1, 2015, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Either DW4 isn't as good as we think, or McShay is no expert ]

...I mean...Clowney projected. Howie...I mean...Manziel too. I kid and should give Clowney more credit being injured more than Evel and all..

DW is an excellent college player...best player

Dec 1, 2015, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Either DW4 isn't as good as we think, or McShay is no expert ]

In my opinion. However, until a QB with his skill set, which lets face it is not a prototypical proven NFL QB, then he will not go much higher than current projection.

There are plent of busts with his skill set. Maybe he bucks the trend, but McShay seems to be more in the know with these scouts than most of us. Doesn't mean DW won't be successful at next level, just means he might not go in rounds 1-3.

McShay projected Logan Thomas as a 1st rd pick...

Dec 1, 2015, 11:30 AM

in one of his 2013 mock drafts. Also, there are not "plenty of busts with his skill set". Most of the dual-threat QBs who were busts couldn't read defenses and lacked arm talent. DW4 reads defenses, adjusts his own protection, and can make all the throws. The last player we saw with his skill set was Cam Newton, and we know Cam isn't a bust.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

where did these "experts" have Cam Newton?

Dec 1, 2015, 12:19 PM

because while he might not go that high - he's not going to be THAT far off.

He's 1st or 2nd round depending on:
1) need (who needs a QB?)
2) who else comes out next year and
3) what he does NEXT year on the field (including staying healthy)

this is all just speculation until mid-season 2016 anyway.

Re: DW is an excellent college player...best player

Dec 1, 2015, 2:01 PM [ in reply to DW is an excellent college player...best player ]

today i learned that accuracy, touch, arm strength, the ability to read defenses, the ability to check down consistently, and the ability to keep your eyes downfield while scrambling aren't the skills of a prototypical proven QB.

Clemson doesn't have a prototypical NFL offense, but Watson certainly has the skills.

If an nfl qb coach can't teach him to take snaps from under center, they probably shouldn't be coaching in the nfl.

Re: Either DW4 isn't as good as we think, or McShay is no expert

Dec 1, 2015, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Either DW4 isn't as good as we think, or McShay is no expert ]

Watson, in college, has a very similar skill-set to RG3. Griffin too, was an excellent downfield passer, cool under pressure, and won games with superb running ability. He was drafted very high, won the Heisman (as Watson should this year), then landed in DC. I personally think Deshaun is better than RG3, but he I don't think he automatically flourishes in just any system. I sure hope he lands with a better fit than did Griffin.

Rounds 5-7? Todd McShay must be ill !***

Dec 1, 2015, 10:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rounds 5-7? Todd McShay must be ill !***

Dec 1, 2015, 10:25 AM

Speechless.

Re: Rounds 5-7? Todd McShay must be ill !***

Dec 1, 2015, 11:09 AM

There is no way 150+ players get drafted ahead of Deshaun Watson. Unless he falls off of a cliff, he will go in round 1 or 2. He is NOT RGIII!!!

Mc Shay sucks ###.***

Dec 1, 2015, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Rounds 5-7? Todd McShay must be ill !*** ]

Re: Mc Shay sucks ###.***

Dec 1, 2015, 11:02 PM

Mcshay is garbage as a talent evaluator - Kiper is a little better but not much. Either way, neither knows what he's talking about - the depth of their analysis goes only to numbers and maybe a game or two they've seen.

There's not a snowballs chance in helll Deshaun Watson is on

Dec 1, 2015, 10:25 AM

The board past the 2nd round. I'd be shocked if he made it out of the first round but this could be good news for us and Deshaun. We might Have the best qb to play football at Clemson for the next 2 years rather than 1 and he can possibly vault himself into the top spot of the draft. I'm not banking on it because I know how good he is now and how good he's going to be in the NFL so it's hard for me to believe this 4-5th round BS.

Re: There's not a snowballs chance in helll Deshaun Watson is on

Dec 1, 2015, 10:30 AM

Well, If Deshaun Watson is as far down in the draft as he says(which is stupid) maybe he would consider staying his senior year and improve his draft stock?

McTwit. What a jock sniffer.

Dec 1, 2015, 10:26 AM

DW will translate to the NFL just fine. He'll go in the first 15 picks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Re: FB Update: ESPN draft experts discuss Watson as an NFL prospect

Dec 1, 2015, 10:28 AM

I vehemently disagree with their assessment, but then again I couldn't believe Tajh wasn't a high draft choice either. There might be a sentiment building, right or wrong, that our QBs are a product of our elite WR.

Dec 1, 2015, 10:35 AM

Comparing Tajh to Watson isn't even close. No one ever thought Tajh was an elite QB, he worked well in Morris system and was durable enough to hold up running the ball for short yardage. Watson is a true elite QB and for a so called "expert" to question that means he isn't really paying attention. NFL scouts will be begging for him to fall to them.

null

Dec 1, 2015, 11:02 AM

I think the NFL places such a high premium on qb play that teams reach on guys they usually wouldnt, a la Manziel, JaMarcus Russell, Sanchez, Quinn, etc... guys where it was abundantly clear they couldn't make multiple reads but they all went high.

You made your handle 'pikapptailgate?'

Dec 1, 2015, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN draft experts discuss Watson as an NFL prospect ]

LMAO frat doooosh

Re: You made your handle 'pikapptailgate?'

Dec 1, 2015, 10:53 AM

Cool story, thanks

Dec 1, 2015, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN draft experts discuss Watson as an NFL prospect ]

Boyd hurt himself on several occasion while playing before the college football world on the big stage during regular season games. The NFL scouts survey all aspects of your game. Especially when you in adverse and pressured situations during high profile games. What was the outcome during the moment? That what hurt Boyd's draft stock.

If Boyd would have left after the LSU game

Dec 2, 2015, 2:39 AM

We would have been a high draft pick. He hurt himself by coming back and exposing his weakness of cracking under pressure. Something DW does not do. Plus I'm not sure what happened to Boyd during the off season after 2012 but he came back a completely different player than he was in 2011 and 2012. I think he might have gotten to much coaching in his head and that affected his decision making. Especially working with the QB expert from California, I think that guy screwed with his mechanics way to much.

Tajh couldn't read defenses, DW4 can.***

Dec 1, 2015, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN draft experts discuss Watson as an NFL prospect ]

Re: Tajh couldn't read defenses, DW4 can.***

Dec 1, 2015, 11:36 AM

Hard to say he couldn't read defenses when he owns virtually every passing record in Clemson history. Tajh struggles came because he didn't have a line whatsoever. You put DW4 on those same teams Tajh had and I'm not sure he does much better tbh.

Love Tajh Boyd but completely disagree...

Dec 1, 2015, 11:59 AM

One of biggest negatives on Tajh's NFL scouting report was "Questionable ability to read defenses".

Re: Tajh couldn't read defenses, DW4 can.***

Dec 1, 2015, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Tajh couldn't read defenses, DW4 can.*** ]

Tajh was not good at reading a defense. When his primary receiver was covered, he panicked and often took off running. That's the main reason he hasn't gotten a sniff in the NFL. Tajh benefited from having great receivers and he had a great deep ball. But if that wasn't his first read, he got into trouble.

Dec 1, 2015, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN draft experts discuss Watson as an NFL prospect ]

Watson is better than Boyd in every facet but bulk/durability when running.

Boyd would space out and choke up a few times a season costing us games at times. Boyd had THREE 1st round quality receivers to throw to also.

Watson however is extremely consistent and has twice the arm talent and reading ability. Mike Williams could be a 1st rounder but the others have not earned that yet (Cain likely will). Boyd's WR's were what made him look so good a lot of the time.

Watson will be drafted in the top 10 picks baring a major injury. Nobody is talking about him because he was hurt half of last season and he still has at least a year to play.

Coming from a guy who thinks Penn State's Hackenberg is the best player in the 2016 draft.

Didn't ESPiN have him as a 4 star a couple years ago?

I wonder if there's a team out there that wouldn't swap QBs with Clemson? Oh yeah, you can throw a few NFL teams in the mix just for fun.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, he's definitely a 3rd day pick. Guess he'll have to come back for year 4.

Dec 1, 2015, 10:33 AM

But really, this kid's decision making combined with his accuracy is whats going to land him an early pick. To think GMs will wait til day 3 on him his ludicrous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

"ESPN 'expert'"

Dec 1, 2015, 10:35 AM

Now theres an oxymoron if ever there was one

Re: "ESPN 'expert'"

Dec 1, 2015, 11:09 AM

No just a moron. I agree his numbers aren't eye-popping but then again has sat out most of the second half of 5 games. What other QB or RB can say that. Other than Cook from FSU that missed a game and a half he's been on the field the rest of all their games. you just have to look at last weekend when they blew out Florida and he was in the game until the end to know that he played the rest. Watson would easily have over 4000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing if he would have played like the rest had. Making his number beyond eye-popping. Fudge them clueless so call experts. Its amazing that every game the announcers talk about has ability to read the field and place the ball where only his receivers will catch it in stride and how he can keep his eyes down field when moving outside the pocket. I'm guessing the so called experts don't watch much of Clemson's games. I guarantee the NFL scouts see all that and because of that Watson will be in the top 5 of the draft. Their loss not ours. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2015, 10:58 AM

Didn't McShay say earlier this year when we played Notre Dame that 10 of the top 150 draft elgible players would be on hand and they would 'all be wearing gold helmets'... I thought that being a weatherman was the career with the largest acceptable scale of inaccuracy, I stand corrected...

Why are his rushing td's not included? How many has he had?***

Dec 1, 2015, 11:08 AM

Dec 1, 2015, 11:10 AM

The only good thing about this idiots prediction is, DW4 will be here for 2 more years and thats great news for Clemson.I don't think he will leave for the NFL unless he gets a first round billing from the scouts.. so we can definitely expect a Heismann trophy and another National Championship in the next 2 years for Clemson.

I think 2015, 2016 and 2017 will be the GOLDEN ERA for Clemson Football..

Dec 1, 2015, 11:17 AM

You're onto something there, my friend. The pieces are in place at the moment to make that run.

He'll be the first QB taken if he decides to come out

Dec 1, 2015, 11:32 AM

Take it to the bank!!!

His height will lower him to round 3

Dec 1, 2015, 11:45 AM

fair or unfair, NFL likes tall QB. I think they will also have durability concerns

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is 6'2" same height as Aaron Rodgers

Dec 1, 2015, 12:04 PM

and taller than several starting NFL QBs.

Dec 1, 2015, 9:57 PM

I've done a little writing and evaluation with draft websites in the past and know evaluators in the NFL. Watson grades out similarly to Teddy Bridgewater for most (Rd 1) with better physical upside. Injuries are the only concern; he has demonstrated both arm talent and the mental ability to make reads and adjust plays at the line of scrimmage.

I have watched football all of my life, so I am as qualified

Dec 1, 2015, 10:09 PM

as McShay. I say Watson goes #1 when he does go. Everyone sees him as a dual threat QB, but if Watson could not run, he would still be a GREAT QB.

He set the Georgia state record for passing yards in a career by over 4,000 yards.
http://ghsfha.org/records.php?gRecID=14

Passing TD's by FIFTY SIX! (second on the list is Nick Marshall with 103)
http://ghsfha.org/records.php?gRecID=17

DeShaun is a passing QB that can run, he could be a "pro-style" QB and he would still be the best player on the field. His passing stats are better than what Cam Newton's were in college, but Cam was a one read QB in college and took off a lot more, where as DeShaun goes through progressions and only runs when he has to.

He may actually be using those records as his basis for

Dec 2, 2015, 8:52 AM

the draft projection. Looking down the passing yardage records, the only other QB I see on the list that even marginally made the NFL is some dude named Connor Shaw, from Flowery Branch, Georgia. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have watched football all of my life, so I am as qualified

Dec 2, 2015, 2:57 PM [ in reply to I have watched football all of my life, so I am as qualified ]

Cam Newton played high school football in Georgia as well , so DW4 has eclipsed one NFL qb at one level .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 1, 2015, 10:52 PM

Stunned when I read this assessment, tells me McShae has literally never seen Clemson play. DW4 would be the #1 QB prospect this year if eligible, so I'm not sure what he's talking about. As many have said, he's not Cam Newton exactly, but a close analog. Watson has a much better throwing arsenal than Cam, not even close. But Cam was/is more of an athletic freak than Deshaun. But Deshaun is so smooth when he runs, extremely efficient and far less violent than Cam. Give me a break with rounds 5-7, he throws a better deep ball than 75% of all NFL quarterbacks now. Maybe my Patriots can take another QB at pick 199 in the 6th rd in two years...

Noticed that Marquise has 18 and 10 for total of 28. DW4 ?

Dec 1, 2015, 11:17 PM

Is his 27 total or just his passing tds?

Just passing. He has 9 rushing TDs I believe***

Dec 1, 2015, 11:25 PM

So total of 36? Hope so - makes Henry's 22 look anemic!

Dec 1, 2015, 11:36 PM

If 36 is true, then that total ought to be played up, yet all I see is 27 mentioned all the time to go along with his passing stats!

Dec 1, 2015, 11:59 PM

Let's hope McShay is right. Might get him for another year if so.

Could just have easily said," Spud and Taterdug23, Tnet NFL

Dec 2, 2015, 7:51 AM

draft experts discuss Deshaun Watson's NFL status".

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic