Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lagunitas sold 50% 2 years ago.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Lagunitas sold 50% 2 years ago.

May 8, 2017, 2:29 PM

Heineken bought the rest last week.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/beer/ct-lagunitas-sale-tony-magee-heineken-20170504-story.html
Oh well. At least it's not ABInbev. On the business side, good for them. On the beer side, I would rather support the guys who don't sell their souls to the giants that have tried everything to squeeze them out of the market.

For an informative, entertaining documentary from 2009:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-Bg5Odi0M

Which is the next to go?
Bell's?
Founders?
Sixpoint?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doubt any of those 3 you named.

May 8, 2017, 2:31 PM

I'll go with Sweetwater.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't surprise me...there have been rumors of them

May 8, 2017, 2:48 PM

seeking to IPO to raise capital, but the market isn't that interested...so this seems like the next logical step for them to take

sweet water be like "Don't float the mainstream"

May 8, 2017, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Doubt any of those 3 you named. ]

I bet they sell out like the rest of 'em.

Their beer already sucks, so they have an advantage.***

May 8, 2017, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Doubt any of those 3 you named. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doubt any of those 3 you named.

May 8, 2017, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Doubt any of those 3 you named. ]

Shitttty beer already. Wouldn't hurt.

If those 3 go, I'll just go back to drinking Coors lite***

May 8, 2017, 2:32 PM

Pro tip: Heineken > Lagunitas.***

May 8, 2017, 2:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ Likes flat Sprite^^^***

May 8, 2017, 2:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

^^^Likes intentionally skunked beer.***

May 8, 2017, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Pro tip: Heineken > Lagunitas.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The drinker of either is the true winner in this fight:

May 8, 2017, 3:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The drinker of either is the true winner in this fight:

May 8, 2017, 3:58 PM

Mm. That and a cappucino. Yes. On its way to cannoli.***

May 8, 2017, 4:00 PM

thatsfuckingsad.jpg***

May 8, 2017, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Pro tip: Heineken > Lagunitas.*** ]

when is this craft beer bubble going to burst?

May 8, 2017, 2:58 PM

how much is too much? Stores only have room to stock a fraction of what's out there, it's an eternal game of hide and seek out there for a name you like. I'm amazed at the pain and effort you beerheads go through to find a six pack.

There's more brands of beer now than Carter's got Little Liver Pills (only a few of you will get this reference). Just seems like too much to sustain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well on its way. Get on the Euro Pils bandwagon now.

May 8, 2017, 3:01 PM

Then you can say you were cool before everyone else.

Maybe as far as trying to reach for national distribution

May 8, 2017, 3:16 PM

there might be a bit of a bubble, but I don't see the trend going anywhere as far as local brewers. A well run brewery with decent beer is a tourist destination, or at least a local attraction. It's like any other industry...those that run their business well will do OK, those that don't will disappear. There will be more localized niche brands that don't ever get national distribution but those brands will keep bottle shops open and taps flowing in bars and restaurants. And now that there is essentially a generation of craft drinkers, you can bet those folks still seek out the beers from places that they don't have any real access to. Every time a corporate beer giant buys up one of the larger craft brewers, there will be someone poised to make the next run at getting big and selling out. For the 'bubble to burst', I truly think that you would first have to have a lot of people decide they were happy enough drinking Bud Light and Miller Lite, and I don't see that trend reversing AT ALL. And as far as foreign beers go, I think the craft revolution has caused people to try more imports than ever before.

As our wise and all-knowing beer guru celtic always says..."drink what you like".

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: when is this craft beer bubble going to burst?

May 8, 2017, 3:17 PM [ in reply to when is this craft beer bubble going to burst? ]

It's getting to the point where it's mostly about marketing. Like why tf does New belgium take up so much space at the grocery store? Millercoors and AB have probably lost a lot of sales in the past several years due to the growing craft beer market. They gotta fight back somehow.

That's exactly what the corporates are doing.

May 8, 2017, 3:23 PM

They are certainly capable of making good beer, and making more of it faster. But you can't hurry the marketing.

Shelf space is not equally allocated to marketing.

May 8, 2017, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: when is this craft beer bubble going to burst? ]

It is the hidden part of the beer industry - distribution.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've talked about him before

May 9, 2017, 8:02 AM

But my old soccer coach works for a boutique distributor. He actually went to Clemson around he time of the d square incident.

It's interesting talking to him about it.

You can immediately tell which bars are only serviced by southern eagle when you see bud light, shock top, and Sam seasonal as the only options on tap.

The new trend is scarcity marketing

May 8, 2017, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: when is this craft beer bubble going to burst? ]

People lose their minds (myself included) trying to find limited release beers

Not just limited releases, but regular releases that don't

May 8, 2017, 4:51 PM

turn out a huge volume like The Alchemist or 3 Floyds. You still have to make good beer for that strategy to work. Legal Remedy here locally would be scare for anyone outside of Rock Hill. And it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were more scarce in Rock Hill.

Creature Comforts (Athens) has been the hot brewery

May 8, 2017, 5:02 PM

in Atlanta are the past few years, their signature beer (Tropicalia) was really difficult to find in Atlanta for awhile and people would always request it at stores or at bars if it was on tap.

But I swear that now that's it pretty easy to find, people don't really buy it anymore and have started turning their focus to their new releases that are gone within an hour of being delivered to a liquor store.

Pleased to be having you pick up a few Tropicalia and

May 9, 2017, 8:24 AM

sending them to Greenr. In return, I will pick up a sixer of the finest beer Legal Remedy brews in Rock Hill and pour it down the drain in your honor.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI...

May 9, 2017, 8:52 AM

Joonyer's girlfriend is coming up from the ATL this weekend. Let me know if you would like her to bring some Tropicalia to leave in my fridge for a couple of years.

wait

May 8, 2017, 5:01 PM [ in reply to The new trend is scarcity marketing ]

what am I missing now?!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Wicked Weed.

May 8, 2017, 3:27 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-wicked-weed-inbev-backlash-20170505-story.html

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some craft brew purists have a whiff of snowflake about them

May 8, 2017, 3:42 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic