Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does Anyone Think Clemson's Offense is Sandbagging a Little?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Does Anyone Think Clemson's Offense is Sandbagging a Little?

Oct 24, 2019, 2:33 PM

I may be wearing the orange homer glasses a little on this one, but something tells me TL and the offense have been holding back a lot until crunch time.

Elliot and Scott have been magnificent play callers for the most since taking over from the chad and Trevor has been loose and free with the ball because out side of UNC we have not been challenged and they seem a little off on decision making.

Many of our offensive starters have only play a few full games before they got benched for the backups.

It just seems they are creating an illusion that TL is reckless and all they need to do is rush 3 and play Cover two and TL will screw up...

As I said, I have a feeling we are playing a little possum with our schedule because we can.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

The UNC game wasn't crunch time?

Oct 24, 2019, 2:35 PM

I think the offense has been having real issues. They might get fixed by playoff time and that may make it appear that they were just sandbagging all year, but i don't think that's true.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The UNC game wasn't crunch time?

Oct 24, 2019, 2:36 PM

Fair point...but our own mistakes was the cause of that....horrible O-line errors.

Oct 24, 2019, 2:37 PM [ in reply to The UNC game wasn't crunch time? ]

I agree TigersandCubs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2019, 2:40 PM [ in reply to The UNC game wasn't crunch time? ]

At 40 point a game, all of us should score like this. ;)

To be fair, the offense has still been pretty darn good

Oct 24, 2019, 2:44 PM [ in reply to The UNC game wasn't crunch time? ]

but they are being graded on a curve. Best is the standard and they haven't been at their best.

No

Oct 24, 2019, 2:36 PM

??

Re: No

Oct 24, 2019, 2:39 PM

If there had been a guaranteed, super duper trick play we have we would have used it against UNC. No sandbagging.

No, not at all....

Oct 24, 2019, 2:46 PM

we haven't been "clicking" for whatever reason. Fortunately our schedule has allowed us the luxury of winning while playing our "C to B" game.

HOPEFULLY we figure it out before it either bites us vs "team mediocre" OR before we play an "elite" team (ie playoffs)

I'm no guru nor more than a casual observer of

Oct 24, 2019, 2:49 PM

the game, but I can't imagine a scenario in which a coach would have his team sandbagging.

In fact I would consider it a gross dereliction of duty to do so. The coach's job is to win; he should do so by unloading all his artillery on the opponents and do so as quickly as possible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hartins

Oct 24, 2019, 7:59 PM

First of all, I am glad to see you back, but this is one time I disagree with you. I think our offense is operating on 70% throttle. The start of the fsu game is the exception. TL has made some ill advised throws, but as seen last week he is going to more shut down throws to backs and tight ends where we have been lacking. If I am wrong, I will gladly eat crow. Look for more pedal to the metal in the future. Once again, glad to see you back.

If taking out the starters 5 minutes into the 3rd qtr counts

Oct 24, 2019, 2:52 PM

as sandbagging, then yes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Anyone Think Clemson's Offense is Sandbagging a Little?

Oct 24, 2019, 2:53 PM

No. They just havent played well.

Oct 24, 2019, 2:54 PM

Yep, we're sandbagging this year just like last year. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are telling Trevor to play risky just to see what happens. Haven't you noticed how happy Veneables is?? He tries not to smile but can't help himself just like last year. In previous years he's went around with a scowl. No more, he's the Cheshire Cat!

Oct 24, 2019, 2:57 PM

Its a little bit of TL and a little lack of true hustle/not coming back to the ball by the receivers.

Re: Does Anyone Think Clemson's Offense is Sandbagging a Little?***

Oct 24, 2019, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Anyone Think Clemson's Offense is Sandbagging a Little? ]

Oct 24, 2019, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Anyone Think Clemson's Offense is Sandbagging a Little? ]

I’ve noticed that too!! He just can’t stop smiling. Lol. The best is yet to come

Oct 24, 2019, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Anyone Think Clemson's Offense is Sandbagging a Little? ]

I certainly do not think that the Tigers are “sandbagging “ but I do think that they are not playing with the urgency that they have in the past. With this defense the offense can afford to play a little helterskelter and not be overly concerned with the results of an interception down the field. And, I’ll say it again, the receivers aren’t making the circus catches that they did last year. Remember, a 50/50 ball is not a sure reception as the name implys! Absolutely nothing wrong with #16s arm. I would suspect that most, if not all, of the opposing D coordinators spent the summer studying TLs throws from last year and likely they saw enough to make adjustments in the coverage. In crunch time I want the ball in TLs hands and so do the tv experts. They just want admit it, Go Tigers

Jun 2, 2021, 1:25 PM

Actually the tv guys won’t admit to a lot of their ignorance. See what I did there lol?

Oct 24, 2019, 3:00 PM

I don't think that sandbagging would be the right word. I think that there has been some experimentation that has caused the numbers to be a little poorer than expected. I think that goes for some of the play calling, as well as, some of the personnel decisions. I know that they say the most important game is the next one, but the object is also to be your best at the end of the season.

Oct 24, 2019, 3:05 PM

I don't think they are sandbagging per se, I do think they are holding back on play calling, as we saw in the FSU game there were a few plays we had not seen this year and I think they are bored to death of playing games against teams that they know they are going to beat.

The interceptions that bother me are the ones where he has ran to the sideline and then for some reason threw it to an defender...

Oct 24, 2019, 4:52 PM

tigerfan65 said:

I don't think they are sandbagging per se, I do think they are holding back on play calling, as we saw in the FSU game there were a few plays we had not seen this year and I think they are bored to death of playing games against teams that they know they are going to beat.

The interceptions that bother me are the ones where he has ran to the sideline and then for some reason threw it to an defender...

Holding back may be a better choice of words...But some of the bad plays we've committed are so bad that I didn't think this team was capable of such poor performance...

I think there are a lot of "arrows in the quiver" that aren't being used because they don't have to.

nope

Oct 24, 2019, 3:09 PM

TLaw needs to throw to the middle of the field more and use his check downs more. OCs need to call more runs.

Once these things happen, it's Natty time!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: nope

Oct 24, 2019, 6:48 PM

That's the spot I think they are holding back on and for good reason.... Plan for Galloway in the playoffs? They don't hit the middle most of the season, giving no film, then when he comes back, there's the added wrinkle.

Oct 24, 2019, 3:12 PM

Absolutely not.

Oct 24, 2019, 3:18 PM

no I think we have just been slow starting & erratic in some of our first half's this season, if our OC's had their way, we'd have 42 points by half time every game

Oct 24, 2019, 3:55 PM

Just curious. What would be the rationale for "holding back a lot"? Avoiding those pesky style points and good optics?

They do every year.***

Oct 24, 2019, 5:29 PM

Oct 24, 2019, 5:34 PM

I( believe all the screw ups TL is having are certainly real. But I do believe there could be some parts of the playbook that are not needed now . . better to save for later.

Oct 24, 2019, 5:50 PM

Not Sandbagging...But the offense has been pretty vanilla...

Oct 24, 2019, 6:00 PM

I think it's a combination of things to number one Trevor has a never-say-die attitude when it comes to a pass play. There are times when he just needs to throw the ball away and live to fight another day and he won't or can't bring himself to do it.
The second thing is receivers have not been running crisp routes so they're not getting open and making poor route running decisions which lead to interceptions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2019, 6:34 PM

Honestly, I think they are bored.

Oct 24, 2019, 6:40 PM

unfortunately no; you dont almost lose a game just to

Oct 24, 2019, 6:54 PM

Sandbag.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2019, 7:26 PM

Sandbagging No, Not using the full complement of the offenses playbook, yes.

Oct 24, 2019, 7:40 PM

Vanilla...? absolutely. But we are winning with it. Sandbagging...? No way. Playing too many players to develop when the game is well in our favor. My main issue is if/ when we really get behind a score or 2.. what will our offense look like then? I will say that our 2 minute offense has looked really good. Seems like the O does better when we just line up and get after it! I do think that Elliott is too predictable at times.

Oct 24, 2019, 7:33 PM

Things that make you go hmmm...

This would not surprise me at all but if so would be a risky move by Dabo.

Oct 24, 2019, 7:46 PM

I think they have put more on TL as in letting him do more with the playbook and getting him into more advanced things. It will continue to make TL an even better QB than last year. He will be just fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2019, 7:58 PM

I think three things are going on
1. T.L. is not 100 percent. Some injury is slightly affecting him.
2. Receivers are not running clean routes.
3. Our O.C.s are forcing passes where the defense is dictating we should run the ball.

Oct 24, 2019, 8:01 PM

Most of the offensive problems seems to be coaching and confusion which will get better as the season goes on.

When you were growing up, did you ever play backyard sports

Oct 24, 2019, 9:10 PM

with younger kids? Remember how you might gave them a head start. Say, start the game with them already having points. Or you were not allowed to use your dominate hand etc? It feels like Trevor knows we are so much better, he try’s to make the impossible play, instead of the easy play, just to even the game out.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic