Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone know someone who has been hospitalized
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Does anyone know someone who has been hospitalized

Jul 26, 2020, 12:22 PM

with the virus? We don’t and are curious what kind of treatment people receive, besides what i assume is the last resort...a ventilator.
We do know 2 people who have had it. 24 yr old grandson with virtually no symptoms and his live in gfriend tested negative. A 68 yr old female who felt lousy off and on for 2 weeks. She is back at work. Her husband tested negative 2 times and he did not distance. Go figure...but he is on several RA drugs.
Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

I live in a farming/rural county in N.C.

Jul 26, 2020, 12:32 PM

I don't know anyone who has tested positive. We have had 2 deaths attributed to covid19, but both were in their 80's so who really knows.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Does anyone know someone who has been hospitalized

Jul 26, 2020, 12:37 PM

Not hospitalized, but a co worker had it and said it was definitely worse than flu and common cold for her. She was down and out for 20 days. Back to work now but still no smell or taste. They wouldn’t retest her to see if negative until six weeks after the positive test. Her room mate got it also, though was only sick for 8 days. It definitely has different effects on different people.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2020, 12:40 PM

Oh and she just got recommended Tylenol chicken broth and juice. She also said she never had any chest or breathing issues.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know of 6 who have had it.

Jul 26, 2020, 12:55 PM

4 had it with no symptoms.
1 had it with cold like symptoms.

They were all under 40.

My wife's co-worker's father caught it, went into the hospital and died. He was 76.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

An uncle of a friend of mine is in the hospital with it.

Jul 26, 2020, 1:03 PM

I don't know the uncle personally and have never met him. Other than that, I know of no friends or their family that has been hospitalized with the Wuhan Fauci Flu.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2020, 1:07 PM

First cousin got it, was in the hospital for 20 days. He is 41. He's out of the hospital but still weak, doing much better though. He spent several days on a ventilator. He says he doesn't recommend it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean it's not a hoax???***

Jul 26, 2020, 1:09 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the story with the quinolones now?

Jul 26, 2020, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone know someone who has been hospitalized ]

A controlled study from Brazil was published a few days ago that showed no benefit from them, but around the same time a well-respected MD/PhD from Yale public health published an opinion piece where he's all-in on it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's the story with the quinolones now?

Jul 26, 2020, 9:28 PM

Well I for one trust a study from Brazil.

Brazil is a good place for research now

Jul 26, 2020, 9:43 PM

in science & engineering, especially if it's tied to energy. A very good place.

Medicine I know nothing about, but the study was published in the New England journal.

Jul 26, 2020, 1:12 PM

Yes, a friends son was on a ventilator at North Greenville Hospital for about a week. I don't know any more except he is home now. He is in his early 20's and healthy enough that I see him at the Y regularly.

My daughters friend tested positive a week ago and I have not heard how she is doing. We're talking about an athletic 18 year old so I expect that she will have few symptoms. We're waiting on test results for my daughter as are several other parents with their kids.

Jul 26, 2020, 1:24 PM

Glad to hear that the friends son is well. Our neighbor was there a couple of yrs ago and they told her that was where they sent people who were going to die on a ventilator. Not so now i hope.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Jul 26, 2020, 2:04 PM

I think these days Prisma/GHS is trying to keep all Covid cases there and keep other hospitals clear of Covid patients. I need to check in with his parents to see how he's doing.

A 65 yr old female friend got it 2 weeks ago, like a bad flu

Jul 26, 2020, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone know someone who has been hospitalized ]

for four days, then suddenly got much better. She had no respiratory issues at all, but taste and smell were off for almost two weeks. Another 70 yr old female friend had it for nearly 3 weeks, flu-like, with some coughing and chest pain. Brother-in-law had it, he's 64, felt bad for about 10 days. All these are ok now, and none of them went to the hospital.

Jul 26, 2020, 1:28 PM

My wife and I had it, But no hospital visits. The first week was like the flu but not as bad as the last time I had the flu. The second week I felt pretty good other than a little nausea and a cough, not a lot of energy too. My wife basically felt the same way but hers only lasted about 4 or 5 days. Her smell and taste isn’t fully back yet. Every now and then I smell certain things and they smell the exact same way. Like ground beef, coffee, toothpaste. It’s kinda weird. Other than that we are good to go. I also work with 2 people who got it and one of those guys wife got it but they didn’t go to the hospital either.

Jul 26, 2020, 1:34 PM

Several friends have had it. Most felt bad only a short time or nothing to bad. One had it rough and said he felt like he was coughing up a lung and could catch his breath but now he is better. Pete the owner of Backstreets in downtown Clemson had it, he said it was rough but he is better now too.

Jul 26, 2020, 1:37 PM

My brother in law had it and was hospitalized. He is a health nut, 37 year Marine Vet. He said it was the hardest sickness he had ever had. He left and flew to Dallas then to San Diego and got it somewhere on the trip. He is well now but took a month to get over it. I have had two friends die from it according to their death certificates and children.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 in my extended family; 1 from my hometown

Jul 26, 2020, 2:03 PM

My uncle’s father-in-law (Bronx, NY) died in the hospital.
A distant uncle of my wife (Brazil) died.
A woman in my hometown (Northern NJ) who was my parents age died.

I didn’t know why of these people well, but those are the ones I know of. RIP.

Jul 26, 2020, 2:05 PM

I know a bunch. But, then, I'm a physician so...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2020, 2:15 PM

It won’t be long before everyone knows someone who had it or died from it.

Most people are asymptomatic. Most of those who are symptomatic

Jul 26, 2020, 2:15 PM

Have a mild case. There really is no treatment for that—rest, fluids etc. For those who have more severe symptoms they get hospitalized. The biggest thing that drives hospitalization is the shortness of breath. There is no medication that is specifically anti-COVID-19. Some get treated with Remdesivir which is an anti-viral drug. Not sure latest statistics I think they are better but at one point your mortality with COVID-19 on a ventilator was like 80%. There are different symptomatic treatments. Respiratory therapies etc etc that are supportive. But there is no specific treatment unfortunately. One guy that I saw after the fact was almost placed on ECMO. Diseases like this are humbling to the medical profession. If you have strep, PCN will treat. If you have RMSF, doxy will help. If you have . . . But for COVID-19, there is no specific treatment. You are treating the disease and the symptoms but not the virus itself.

Updated: apparently mortality on ventilator is down to 35.7

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/more-covid-19-patients-are-surviving-ventilators-in-the-icu/2020/07/03/2e3c3534-bbca-11ea-8cf5-9c1b8d7f84c6_story.html%3foutputType=amp

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Jul 26, 2020, 2:17 PM

no

know some internet friends who have

Someone on here that folks know, a great buddy of mine -

Jul 26, 2020, 2:48 PM

late 40’s - no health issues - will have missed work for 44 days with it.

They start back to work Monday - finally.

Almost went to the hospital - Dr. advised against it and gave inhalers.

Did whatever they do and determined that 20 days after testing positive that they had pneumonia in both lungs.

Has been an incredibly tough road for them. Ridiculously tough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I know 7 ppl who have had or does have CV

Jul 26, 2020, 2:54 PM

Two 70+yr old friends came through it ok and were back doing normal stuff in 2wks.

A 39yr old buddy got it, put in hospital in 3days from POS test and died on 7th day. 3mo later his 69yr old father has it now, has diabetes and overweight, is pretty scared but isn't gone to hospital yet. Praying for him!

I have a 50yr old cousin is just wrapping up and both his 20yr old kids have gone though it pretty much asymptomatic. Oddly enough, my cousin and his 2 kids all contracted it from different places and only 1 of the three spouses contracted it from their spouse which was the youngest.

So I guess I know 8 ppl that have had it and 1 of the younger ones died.

Jul 26, 2020, 3:27 PM

2 buddies had it(75+) . One hospitalized for 2 days and is slowly recovering . Other one may not make it .

Jul 26, 2020, 3:40 PM

I’ve known several that have had it with only flu like symptoms or less. I personally knew two that have passed from it- a man in his 80s and a woman in her mid-40s.

Jul 26, 2020, 3:53 PM

I haven't heard of a single friend or extended family member who has had it. In June we were sure my son had it as he was sick several days with "the flu". But he tested negative!

Not until the past week- a neighbor

Jul 26, 2020, 4:30 PM

was hospitalized & her husband is home with it- got it from relatives who visited before testing positive a couple of days later. Also found out that brother-in -law & his wife & son had it & have recovered after just flu-like symptoms. Number of total deaths in 5 county area around Greenwood have jumped from 12 about 3 weeks ago to 46 today

Message was edited by: clover65®

Luckily no.***

Jul 26, 2020, 4:38 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2020, 5:54 PM

Yes. A friend of mine in her 30's was hospitalized for several days early in the pandemic, about 4 days after testing positive. She went from "under the weather" to unable to breathe on her own in about a day. She was given oxygen treatments while there because COVID gave her pneumonia. She did not have to go on a ventilator, but it was pretty scary for a while. Her husband also got ill and had obvious but milder symptoms for about 10 days. I'm also assuming their two children, who are roughly 3 years and 6 months, were exposed but did not require outside treatment.

My grandmother got it and was "sick in place" for about 4 days, then in the hospital for almost a week. She also was given oxygen but recovered, somehow, before a ventilator was required. She's 95 and frankly I'm shocked she recovered (it took about 2 more weeks), but she's always been healthy otherwise.

I personally know at least 3 other individuals who have gotten sick, along with their entire family, but have not needed hospitalization that I know of.

All of those cases except the first were here in SC.

Jul 26, 2020, 5:56 PM

Additionally, this is not my story, but I know a fellow marching band parent whose neighbor (again, in SC) had 8 family members test positive and 5 of them died.

Jul 26, 2020, 9:49 PM

Drink two beers and call me in the morning......

Jul 27, 2020, 8:23 AM

One friend ended up in ICU on 90% oxygen but recovered quickly. Mid 50's, active but overweight. Had several friends that tied up their houseboats July 4th weekend and all got it. No hospitalizations including one who smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day and is overweight.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic