Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Help! VaTech info...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Help! VaTech info...

Sep 13, 2019, 11:30 AM

Any of you that have been to Va Tech...can you tell me what or how the travel is from upstate SC? My son is going there with a friend for the game tomorrow. Just realized we didn't tell his friend he gets a little green and possibly car sick if going through the mountains.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends what route they're taking. If they're going through

Sep 13, 2019, 11:40 AM

Charlotte, 77N to 81, there are some mountains on 77 after crossing into VA. But it's not too bad. The other routes (like 25 to 26 to 81) are a good bit worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Depends what route they're taking. If they're going through

Sep 13, 2019, 11:51 AM

Thanks GWP...it just hit me that they may be going through the mountains. Last thing I need is him puking in a lady's van or on the Furman team bus tomorrow lol!

DO NOT get stuck on 26 in Asheville.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Depends what route they're taking. If they're going through ]

Go 85N to 485 to 77N to 81N to 460 to Blacksburg. All 4 lane. sit in the front. No curvy stuff. Until you get to campus. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DO NOT get stuck on 26 in Asheville.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:42 PM

No, you only get stuck near airport for about 10 minutes. You are not even in the AVL.

Really, the 5 miles backup during rush hour on 26 is "bad".... it might be the smallest traffic jam in the entire south east. Clemson Soccer games cause a bigger back-up. The only time it is a major issue is if there is a "closure" of 40 out west, or a wreck on Bowen bridge (Because the NCDOT put local traffic, 240, and 26 on all 4 lanes on one bridge).

The 77 to 81 backup at Wytheville (Mrs hometown) is normally much worse than AVL. 485 when it opened was alright but the traffic near GSP and then around Gastonia/Belmont will be far worse than anything in the mountains.

Re: Help! VaTech info...

Sep 13, 2019, 12:09 PM

Which part of the "Upstate" assuming PVille is Powdersville.

You are going through the mountains... and either 81 or 77 or 26 can be "different". My wife is some SWVa so we make the trip all the time for family but by ears pop constantly... I even live in WNC now too and still have not acclimated

I personally prefer 26 to 81 though Bristol, negates the Charlotte and GSP Travel. Take 25 north to 26. Speeds are a little lower so it might be easier to handle with motion sickness and it is easier to pull off for a bit. Same as going into TN, as speeds are lower but it is windy a bit, more so than 77. Still, you have a lot of pull-over vistas that might make it easier.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:16 PM

Thank you, yes, Powdersville. When we travel to Pigeon Forge we always make sure we have junk food and gum lol...I just got to thinking he's not with me and it's his first time going with this particular friend. They're actually staying in Roanoke with the team. My hope is once they get going he goes to sleep and all is well.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:47 PM

Yeah, so you have a good idea.

Really, up Fancy Gap (77) is less up/down, but because it is 70mph+ it can be a bit more intense with no chance to have pull-offs I think. 26 is more up/down but at 55mph, less of a wringer. I guess it is really dependent on how the friend drives.

Since you said Roanoke, Christainsburg Mt might be another watch area as going down from Christainsburg. Not as bad as Fancy Gap or Sams Gap but another hill climb.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic