Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deer bored
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Deer bored

Jan 15, 2017, 11:45 AM

@TigersTeeth posted this morning that I needed to own up to an article I wrote when Dabo Swinney was hired and if I did he would respect me more. I will own up to it - I loved it. Here is how I responded to his post this morning, but I will also post it here so everybody can see I own up to it. Dabo and I still talk about it.

Did you read the above link? That was the first article I wrote about Dabo, and I hated the headline (because I didn't write and it didn't actually show what the article was about). Now I get it, some people read headlines and skim on and think they read a story. If you did that in this case, you missed the meat. Let me help you:

I said I like Dabo as a man and a coach. I thought he was a rising star in the coaching ranks. It reads:

"I think Dabo Swinney is a rising star in the coaching ranks, and will one day be a very good head coach for somebody. It might even be the Tigers. Is he ready to take over the reins of a Clemson program that needs new life? Probably.

"Nothing he has done or said over the past two months has showed me that he is not ready. If he gets the permanent job, I will be very satisfied that Phillips has made the right hire, the man that will take the Tigers to the next level."

I then go on to say that Clemson's fans anger at the time had many of them almost unreasonable, that a clear, clean cut from the Bowden era would be what many wanted, and that at the first sign of struggle people would turn on Swinney and I felt he deserved a better fate. It's a little tongue in cheek, but I think most people who operate above a certain grade level understood that.

I don't hate your guts, don't know that I've recalled you calling me out for it. I actually am proud of that piece - it was one of my first pieces on TigerNet about Dabo, and he and I talk about it all the time and laugh about it. He felt like I had his back early and appreciates it.

But hey, you can disagree with us if you want to, it's a free world.

And for the record, here is the link to the original story. The headline is still brutal, which is why I have headline rights these days!!! lol

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Commentary-Dabo-Not-Right-Fit-Tigers-7601

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Deer bored

Jan 15, 2017, 11:48 AM

winners always get to write the history books david, and I know more than one HOF poster on here that was very outspoken against the hire.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't even remember what I originally thought about Dabo.

Jan 15, 2017, 11:52 AM

I know I was ecstatic that we beat USuC that day and chanted "Da-Bo!" along with the other 80,000 Clemson fans in DV that cloudy afternoon as he was carried on the field. And it doesn't matter what I, or any of us thought. We all wanted the best for and cheered for Clemson either way. No need to freaking witch hunt, either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

All I remember was Tommy Bowden was

Jan 15, 2017, 11:55 AM

finally gone. Any hire after him would have been a blast of fresh air. Dabo was that fresh air.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My God Dabo was

Jan 15, 2017, 12:01 PM [ in reply to I don't even remember what I originally thought about Dabo. ]

a beanpole

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

given what the "fans" did to Tommy Bowden

Jan 15, 2017, 12:25 PM [ in reply to I don't even remember what I originally thought about Dabo. ]

I'd say a witch hunt through the "fanbase" is eminently in order....

Clemson fans should never ever forget - and be humbled by -

how dang lucky they were to get Dabo as a coach.

What we went through was the single worst form of 'succession planning' ever conducted,

and testament to the negative effects of 'mob rule'.

Note that in your English you have phrases like

mass insanity,
mob rule,
pack mentality,
lynch mob,
widespread panic;

but there is NO word for

mass epiphany or widespread redemption.

Re: I don't even remember what I originally thought about Dabo.

Jan 15, 2017, 12:51 PM [ in reply to I don't even remember what I originally thought about Dabo. ]

"And it doesn't matter what I, or any of us thought. We all wanted the best for and cheered for Clemson either way. No need to freaking witch hunt, either."

This statement is right on.

Jan 15, 2017, 12:05 PM

Every coaching hire at every university has a bit of controversy. There will always be those that agree, those that simply are not sure, and those that disagree heartedly.

What Clemson needed was a coach to unify the fan base. I could see how hiring a young Dabo might make some of the Clemson fan base question the hire. As for me, I did not have cable, internet, or a smart phone 8 years ago. Living in TN, I got my Clemson news from my parents who live in Anderson, SC. When I asked about Coach Dabo, my Mom said he is going to be good....just give him some time.

Dabo is a great coach. A coach that I am proud to say is OUR Coach. He has done so much good for our university, program, and players. He has unified this fan base. I thank him for 8 great years and hope for at least 8 more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many questioned the hire. Few have a vehicle to put that

Jan 15, 2017, 12:09 PM

opinion in a forum that is forever, such as a writer like yourself.

As always, job well done.

On a side note, I have never understood why writers don't also write their own headlines in journalism. Seems idiotic to me.

That's like a songwriter writing the lyrics to a song and leaving it up to somebody else to name the song.

Makes no sense....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Many questioned the hire. Few have a vehicle to put that

Jan 15, 2017, 12:13 PM

Back then I had zero access to anything on here....I was on probation..lol

I remember have that conversation with Larry Williams one

Jan 15, 2017, 3:03 PM

day....I think he stated it was due to page layouts and space, etc.

I can't remember what his explanation was, but I remember at the time still not understanding!

Then again, a real paper is a dinosaur now a days.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd +1 you DHood, but

Jan 15, 2017, 12:10 PM

what is infinity + 1 -- and I'm guessing you're not trying to keep count anyway. :)

There are all types of different criticism, but I think this one falls into a category where people try to bring those around them down in order to make them feel a little bigger.

The more they can cut those around them down, the higher they feel ... when in reality, they are hurting those around them and shrinking themselves. It is pernicious.

The only defense is to try and not be affected by the ugliness or to find bits of actual, helpful criticism in the morass. The one is ever more difficult the more exposed you are and the other depending on the ability of the other to communicate a clear, thoughtful message.

So many of us rely on your efforts to provide an inside view of the program -- a view we are not privy to. I live in Munich, Germany and can't come to games and have few opportunities to discuss the latest news with friends over lunch or dinner or the Saturday grill. Your efforts ARE appreciated ... and your opinions as well. If a prediction or opinion turns out to have not been 100% prophetic, that's okay. You're only putting in words what most of us have in our hearts and minds anyway. If we're upset with something you said, may have said, or something we think you may have said, well -- then we really ought to just look at ourselves and then hopefully, give us a break.

I mean - who really knew? I didn't. I hoped, but to claim that kind of prescience is folly.

You are the man, Mr. Hood. Don't let them get you down.

An appreciative fan of your work and effort.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

infinity is not a number

Jan 15, 2017, 12:21 PM

infinity plus 1 makes about as much sense as a lot plus 1 or some plus 1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so dhood... are you saying that

Jan 15, 2017, 12:15 PM

Crump came up with the brutal headline?

makes sense

Dabo yesterday, "Everything starts and ends with Leadership"

Jan 15, 2017, 12:15 PM

People need to take this to heart -

if nothing else they ever do in their lives, take it to heart.

And that's because what's "dysfunctional" in our society is media and its impact on leadership.

Take Clemson as a microcosm of what happens in the greater society and you see a frightening result.

In other words, - and make sure you're sitting down - compare and contrast where Clemson is with where it was, and then

where it might have been with Kiffin, Leach, Muschamp, or Kelly at the helm.

That's South Carolina'a football program, my friends, Notre Dame's, Tennessee's, Auburn's, Texas', Georgia's...

Those people made "results-based leadership decisions" for their programs - just like David Hood and most fans wanted for Clemson -

instead of looking at the type of man chosen to lead, the values he embodied, and the underlying culture that he would impart.

And yet Dabo emphasized again and again yesterday, what was important was "how" winning was accomplished,

and that the "how" would sustain success in the future.

That's why he says, "The best is yet to come".

Leaders see things the masses don't - they see the "how" and the "path".

Great Leaders make great decisions - great futures - but only if given the chance...

For what it's worth, I linked your story in a lunge post

Jan 15, 2017, 12:16 PM

a little while back. The headline definitely wasn't a summary of what your article said.

It was well-thought out and predicted both Dabo's success, but also that fans wouldn't be patient enough with him if we took a skid along the way.

Well, we took a skid along the way, and most fans weren't patient. However, our AD believed in what Dabo was doing, and well.... we all see the results of that now.

Your writing is the main reason I donate to this site. Keep doing what you're doing.

Re: For what it's worth, I linked your story in a lunge post

Jan 15, 2017, 12:42 PM

And your posts are one of the main reasons I get on the board

Get a room you two!***

Jan 15, 2017, 12:52 PM

Oh...NOW you find sarcasm to be a useful journalism tool.

Jan 15, 2017, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: For what it's worth, I linked your story in a lunge post ]

;)

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

reading comprehension fails again...

Jan 15, 2017, 3:14 PM [ in reply to For what it's worth, I linked your story in a lunge post ]

D Hood's overarching statement was, and I quote,

"Because Dabo Swinney as the Head Coach past South Carolina or the Bowl Game,

would be an impossible situation."

I hardly find that as "predicting Dabo's success" as you said.

No - it appears more to be a failure to understand what exactly makes great leaders great,

and an entirely overreaching view of what it means to be a "fan".

You populist pushers totally make me laugh...

Jan 15, 2017, 12:23 PM

Well dhood, proving once again: "Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinions."

??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 15, 2017, 1:17 PM

I was not a member of TIgerNet at the time so I have no way of showing what I thought back then. I will say that I remember thinking that any change was a good change. I also remember thinking that if Coach did nothing else, firing Rob Spence was an outstanding move. Anything after that was gravy!

Jan 15, 2017, 3:08 PM

I remember reading the article and thought the man deserves a chance. you're my fav David Hood in the world

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Were you the one that asked about Clempsning also:) :) :)

Jan 15, 2017, 3:15 PM

Just Kidding: Glad you got that cleared up for those without much reading comprehension!

Re: Were you the one that asked about Clempsning also:) :) :)

Jan 15, 2017, 4:05 PM

sometimes I amaze myself.??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In defending Dabo in 2010, aka being a "pumper"

Jan 15, 2017, 4:03 PM

and subject to great ridicule (where you at, BlueCaddy?), I noted often that the team on the field lacked leadership among its ranks, which is absolutely critical in winning the close ones, and there's always close ones in college football. Enter RS Freshman Tajh Boyd in the 4th Q against S. Florida in the bowl game leading us to two TD's and nearly a shot at victory to close out the season. Tajh believed, and almost two years into the system he also was already comfortable being a leader.

To me, Dabo's secret ingredient in building a championship caliber program has lain squarely in his ability to develop leadership among his players. All the talent, game planning, and play calling in the world cannot overcome a lack of player leadership on the field when it comes to winning games, which we all know is hard to do no matter the competition.

Today, our program is overflowing in this category. As a foundation for success and the root of Dabo and Company's approach to player development, it's hard not to be extremely optimistic about what lies ahead.

Thanks, David. You've been an excellent chronicler of the process from early on. So thrilled that you and Nikki could experience the culmination of this process first hand.

Viva Los Tigres!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While your at it own up to your "sky is falling" article after the 2013 FSU loss....

Jan 15, 2017, 4:10 PM

Where you stated that we wasted our one opportunity to break through and get to a national title game, and that loss would be felt in years to come. Turns out FSU was just that darn good in 2013, while we were in the middle of still building back up our defense, not too mention the lack of pass blocking at the time. It's 2017 and now we've been to two straight national title games and have won one, since we as according to David Hood wasted our one opportunity

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic