Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Potential Qb transfer?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Potential Qb transfer?

Aug 8, 2017, 12:37 PM

Everyone already knows we are loaded at almost every position especially quarterback. However, almost all except kb has at least 4 years of eligibility remaining...all are at least **** recruits....all hungry and talented. I know most would say it's a good problem to have but who if any do you see transferring for lack of playing time? My guess is brice and potentially Johnson upon the arrival of Trevor Lawrence who very well may red shirt based upon the established success of Kelly Bryant and Zerrick Copper.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Potential Qb transfer?

Aug 8, 2017, 12:40 PM

If they want to stay 4 years they stay at Clemson and get their degree. All will be given the opportunity to compete and succeed and I want no part of looking ahead to label a guy a transfer. They came here to compete and be part of the Clemson family.

null

Aug 8, 2017, 12:46 PM

Not doubting the loyalty of their commitment, just being honest about the availability of playing time to go around for the nfl potential qbs we have. This has never happened at clemson...

You know nothing about Brice.

Aug 8, 2017, 12:40 PM

He's CLEMSON through and through. He might RS and graduate in 3-4 years then going somewhere else to play his last 1-2 years. But he'll have that CLEMSON degree first.

Did you miss the part where he said he was guessing?***

Aug 8, 2017, 12:43 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad he qualified that, because we know next to nothing

Aug 8, 2017, 1:00 PM

about all of our QBs, at least as far as how much PT each will get, or how good they will be as college QBs. We have gotten a glimpse of Bryant, but nowhere nearly enough to make much of an evaluation. We have seen even less of everyone else, and ZERO of the particular player in question, Chase Brice. Furthermore, considering such speculation requires making estimations about a player that is still in high school, it is literally nothing but wild guesswork.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You know nothing about Brice.

Aug 8, 2017, 12:48 PM [ in reply to You know nothing about Brice. ]

> He's CLEMSON through and through. He might RS and
> graduate in 3-4 years then going somewhere else to
> play his last 1-2 years. But he'll have that CLEMSON
> degree first.

I know Brice is a gamer! He will push for pt and deserve it as well.

Aug 8, 2017, 12:43 PM

I expect it after the season.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I'm thinking Cooper and/or Tucker Israel

Aug 8, 2017, 12:52 PM

But probably just Cooper.

Re: I'm thinking Cooper and/or Tucker Israel

Aug 8, 2017, 12:54 PM

Israel may be through due to health issues. Hope not, but sounds bad right now. At least with Dabo he doesn't have to worry about losing his scholarship

Aug 8, 2017, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Potential Qb transfer? ]

It was mentioned by Strelow about a week or so ago,my buddy is a member of the same site as you Tiger and gives me the premium content.

Aug 8, 2017, 12:53 PM

well, assuming a lot. There is possibility of position changes, and we don't know who will come out on top. Only Bryant has taken a snap in a real game. Johnson may be so good Lawrence doesn't see the field for a year. Brice is no slouch either neither is cooper. Probably at least one will transfer. One or two could change positions most likely Bryant. Some of our best defensive backs came to Clemson as QBs.

Time will tell. Best man up!

Quit trying to run off QBs. Chase Brice just got here

Aug 8, 2017, 12:53 PM

after winning Georgia High School Football's 1st ever 7A State Championship. That may very well be the highest level of high school football in the nation. He committed to a team that recently hired his uncle, Mickey Conn. He will be a Clemson Tiger for the duration of his career and could very well lead us to some big time wins.

If Hunter Johnson redshirts, he can spend the entire season in the weightroom and filmroom. He's already a natural thrower, and taking his body and knowledge to the next level could put him way, way ahead of Trevor Lawrence.

Ahead of Trevor Lawrence may not be enough to start for the time being, especially if Kelly Bryant wins the job this summer and leads Clemson to double digit wins. Would you bench a starting QB from a double digit team for an 18 year old? If so, quit reading so much recruiting hype.

Zerrick Cooper is also interesting, because he got the head start that I'm hoping Hunter Johnson receives this year. Cooper's arm is all that people talk about, but he might also be the furthest along in terms of reading our offense. He spent A LOT of time in the same QB room as Watson, and by all accounts was a sponge while he redshirted.

Trevor Lawrence is well-aware of our depth chart at QB right now. He's also one helluva competitor and wants to win the job as a freshmen. However, he seems to have completely bought in to what Dabo and co are selling, so he may be okay with redshirting his first year on campus.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Spot on ^***

Aug 8, 2017, 12:56 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Except maybe for even making the mention of a

Aug 8, 2017, 1:01 PM

possible redshirt for Johnson after all the speculation that he might give Bryant a run for the starting job this year.

Re: Except maybe for even making the mention of a

Aug 8, 2017, 1:30 PM

True. HJ will almost assuredly avoid a RS this year. This was still a great opinion some people on here really need to hear. There is way too much speculation going on based on recruiting hype and some people have guys leaving the program before we even see how things play out on the field. It's never a good thing to say a guy will transfer before he even gets here like people have been doing with Chase. Don't sleep on any of these kids. ZC is a redshirt freshman. We don't know what he will or won't be in our program yet. It's good to hear someone talking some sense in this situation.

I don't think that Hunter will redshirt, but...

Aug 8, 2017, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Except maybe for even making the mention of a ]

I do believe that a redshirt would be in his best interest long-term. 18 year old kids ready to compete for a playoff berth are not as common as some seem to think. These kids need time to mature and grow into their bodies.

I'm of the mindset that every freshman QB should redshirt.

2017 should be a battle between Kelly Bryant and Zerrick Cooper.
2018 should have Brice and Johnson coming off a redshirt ready to push 2017s returning starter.
2019 should mix in Trevor Lawrence to keep the competition high.

If this is handled right, which I already believe it is, we should have a high-level starter at QB every year until 2021.

2017: KB (2), TI (3), ZC (4), HJ (5), CB (5)
2018: KB (1), TI (2), ZC (3), HJ (4), CB (4), TL (5)
2019: ZC (2), TI (1), HJ (3), CB (3), TL (4)
2020: ZC (1), HJ (2), CB (2), TL (3)
2021: HJ (1), CB (1), TL (2)
2022: TL (1)

2018 is the only year with a real glut of QBs IMO. That can work itself out fairly easily if we think KB as more of a wildcat package QB and TI ends up taking a long term medical leave from the team. Dabo wants competitive depth all across the field, QB room is no different.

Re: Quit trying to run off QBs. Chase Brice just got here

Aug 8, 2017, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Quit trying to run off QBs. Chase Brice just got here ]

Calm down. Just a calculated thought. I love all of our qbs but the numbers do not lie pertaining to the elevated assumption of winning another championship. Unless, you think we will lose anytime soon what q.b. with as much talent as we have would sit for at least two or three years behind Trevor Lawrence having already taken significant snaps....

Coot loser - jump off a bridge.

Aug 8, 2017, 1:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Coot loser - jump off a bridge.

Aug 8, 2017, 1:05 PM

I've forgotten more clemson football than you will ever remember or imagine... go tigers either way you slice It! ??

God forbid but we could lose 2 QBs to injury in the first

Aug 8, 2017, 1:08 PM

few weeks. Look at Ohio State in 2014.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2017, 1:14 PM

Anyone saying that none of these QB's will leave is delusional. At least one, maybe more will transfer. I don't know who, and it's impossible to guess until we actually see some of them play, someone or someones will leave. And that's ok. As long as they just their ### while they are here, do the right things, and do what it takes to help the team win, than we should wish them the best. You can't fault a talented kid for trying to further his dream as long as he's not an a-hole about it.

I think a transfer is likely

Aug 8, 2017, 1:22 PM

We currently have 5 very highly recruited QBs on scholarship. Next year, assuming KB returns, we'll have 6. There's not a program in the NCAA that wants or needs 6 QBs when you only have 85 scholarships.

There are multiple scenarios that could impact the situation: 1) KB could go pro after this year. 2) TL decommits. 3) Someone quits or transfers. 4) A QB switches position.

None of those scenarios are favorable, as we like who we've got and want to keep them all. But, there's only 1 QB and the kids we have all want to be "the guy."

If KB wins the starting job and we see HJ 2nd on the depth chart, I think we lose Zerrick Cooper.

If HJ wins the starting job, we lose KB.

If Zerrick or Chase or Tucker win the starting job, then we could lose KB, HJ or both. I don't see this happening, but you never know.

If I had to place odds on the most likely to transfer either during this season or after the season I would say Zerrick Cooper, then Chase Brice. Both of those guys were highly regarded recruits that could start for 95% of the Div. 1 schools out there. And if they feel like they're going to be buried in the depth chart for the next 2-3 years, they'll bolt.

Here's what I think will happen: KB opens as the starter, but loses out to HJ early in the season. KB decides to transfer at the end of the season (with his degree, being eligible for 2018), as does either Zerrick Cooper or Chase Brice (depending on the depth chart). If Hunter wins the job in his freshman year, everyone else has to assume they're riding pine for at least 2 more years. I don't know what's going on with Tucker Israel, but I feel like he'll stick even in a support role.

2018 QB stable: Hunter Johnson, Zerrick Cooper, Tucker Israel and some dude from Cartersville, GA.

Anyway... that was fun, but pointless as I have no idea what will happen besides Clemson winning the 2017 National Championship.

Rough first post.

Aug 8, 2017, 1:25 PM

You might want to try out the Hen Coop. I hear they let anyone in.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Rough first post.

Aug 8, 2017, 1:46 PM

I don't think it's his first post, and it's a valid point of discussion. If you've cracked open a cold brew with another Clemson fan this off-season, I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that this topic (or some variant involving Trevor Lawrence) was discussed.

At least 1 will transfer but it's pretty pointless to speculate about who it will be.

Aug 8, 2017, 1:32 PM

HJ isn't redshirting either. There's just no benefit to it.

Aug 8, 2017, 1:42 PM

Two points:
1. DW4 didn't play but half of his first season. Injuries happen
2. Being the starter for two years, possibly one, beats being the starter for 3-4 years at other programs. It's the total experience, teaching and exposure.

There are really are kids for whom the school itself, the camaraderie of the team experience, the annual 'ride' are what they want. Practicing with the best, knowing you helped get your team to its goals is a massive accomplishments. Box scores don't tell all!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2017, 1:43 PM

"There are really are...." Yeah...I'm a college grad.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They will wait and see who gets the starting gig this year,

Aug 8, 2017, 2:41 PM

then it will all shake out.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic