Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can't understand why we are 30th in recruiting with a top 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Can't understand why we are 30th in recruiting with a top 10

Jan 10, 2013, 3:25 PM

football team! I'm especially concerned at some of the programs beating us and stealing recruits from us so close to signing day. How can Dabo and staff allow this to happen during such a great year on the field? Just curious and looking for some opinions why with our facilities upgrade and the overall improvement in our football program we aren't recruiting as well as we have many times before.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We will most likely still end up 10th -15th or better.***

Jan 10, 2013, 3:27 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you know you are not recruiting well?

Jan 10, 2013, 3:29 PM

Is it because you don't have as many internet site recruiting fantasy points as you want?

What if the recruiting fantasy points are not indicative of what the player does on the football field for Clemson?

I do think we'll sign a few more very good players, but I

Jan 10, 2013, 3:29 PM

also think that we are starting fall victim to the SEC-hype machine in some cases.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I do think we'll sign a few more very good players, but I

Jan 10, 2013, 3:31 PM

Best way to beat the hype is to keep beating their tails on the field. Georgia you are next!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we'll finish in Top 20...

Jan 10, 2013, 3:33 PM

But, yes, SEC hype is really starting to hurt us.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Dabo will once again surprise you and many other

Jan 10, 2013, 3:39 PM

Tiger fans. He's that good in closing.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Signing day is February 6th--lots can happen. I think

Jan 10, 2013, 3:30 PM

Clemson finishes in the top 10.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

February 6th--also the deadline for Spurrier to yank

Jan 10, 2013, 3:34 PM

scholarships. People forget that he does that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

actually, he has until school starts next fall.***

Jan 10, 2013, 3:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because once an SEC recruiter whips out the pay scale

Jan 10, 2013, 3:31 PM

there's very little we can do to compete with that for a player with less morals.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we pressure them to commit too early. The closer we

Jan 10, 2013, 3:35 PM

get to signing day, more of them get SEC offers. Face it, most top recruits want to play in the SEC and if given the chance, regardless of prior commtment, that is where they'll go. For most of the players we want, the SEC is the competition. Hopefully we can do a great job developing the players we get.

I thought Dabo tried to tell them not to commit?????

Jan 10, 2013, 3:37 PM

"Hi, I'm Coach Dabo Swinney. Please don't commit to Clemson."

Please understand the following... Recruiting rankings are..

Jan 10, 2013, 3:38 PM

a total and complete fabrication that hold next to no weight in terms of how a team will do in a season.

You recruit to your needs and you recruit to your system. Anyone worried about some mythical "ranking" in recruiting is wasting their time.

Great Year?

Jan 10, 2013, 3:41 PM

We had one quality win - after much of the recruiting was already done.

We waltzed through a cupcake schedule all year, and lost both regular season games against quality opponents. The quality of our football season, while not the only component in recruiting, certainly didn't help.

Better than any the last 21 years with 11 wins and no

Jan 10, 2013, 3:48 PM

stumbles. No loses to teams we should have won but didn't in our teams under TB, TW, and KH.

Great year with a great ending showing the future!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

For the orange-colored glasses wearing Clemson homer, yes

Jan 10, 2013, 3:49 PM

but in the eyes of a recruit, our regular season was "meh"

If I have orange - glasses you have anti-Clemson glasses***

Jan 10, 2013, 3:50 PM

null

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Re: If I am have orange - glasses you have anti-Clemson glasses***

Jan 10, 2013, 3:54 PM

This plus 1,000,000. Nothing Dabo does will ever be good enough. Get over it Tom. Face it Dabo is here to stay. He has the program going in the right direction. If you can not see that, there is nothing that he will do to please you.

Really? What recruits have you talked to that told you that?***

Jan 10, 2013, 3:52 PM [ in reply to For the orange-colored glasses wearing Clemson homer, yes ]

null

I disagree. I think Clemson fans are more negative than

Jan 10, 2013, 3:53 PM [ in reply to For the orange-colored glasses wearing Clemson homer, yes ]

neutral observers because we put more weight into losing to SCAR than anyone else would. We are ashamed to lose to them regardless of their quality. Non-Clemson fans see it as a somewhat close loss to an elite team. When we out-muscled LSU, we gained all the legit credit we need to recruit.

ehh likely not

Jan 10, 2013, 4:04 PM [ in reply to For the orange-colored glasses wearing Clemson homer, yes ]

To the bitter folks, it wasn't anything special. To people like me, could have been better beating SC. To the national media who is in love with our win over LSU and the set-up of UGA-Clemson next year, it is being hyped as a very good season only worse than a handful of teams.

It may not be a huge kickstart to recruiting, but by no way, shape, or form can one make a rational thought and say it overall has hurt or not impacted recruiting.

How would you compare our season to UGA's? They almost won

Jan 10, 2013, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Great Year? ]

the National Championship.

UGA fans are also very disappointed.

Jan 10, 2013, 3:51 PM

They got spanked by USC, but they did have a quality regular season win by beating Florida. They did win their division, they did go to their Championship game at least. I'd say they had a marginally better regular season but still not that great.

UGA went 1-2 vs quality opponents, then beat Nebraska in

Jan 10, 2013, 3:55 PM

bowl game.

UGA was 1 of 13 on 3rd down conversions vs. FLA.

Their quality win was mid-season, against FLA***

Jan 10, 2013, 4:15 PM

Just as good. UGA got DESTROYED by USuC but the

Jan 10, 2013, 3:52 PM [ in reply to How would you compare our season to UGA's? They almost won ]

eSECpn hype machine kept them in play. We lost 2 but we had our chances in a time in which our D was having to get better.

We went 1-2 against Top 10 Teams

Jan 10, 2013, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Great Year? ]

(Well...LSU didn't finish in the Top 10, but they were there when we played them.)

Again, if you don't think 11-2 with a win over LSU in the Peach Bowl is a great year, I think you need a new hobby. This one won't make you happy. Even if we win the National Championship the next two years, chances are we won't win it in 2015, so you'll just be disappointed again.

You guys have to get over this idea that your lack of satisfaction in anything but perfection is some sort of fan badge of honor. You don't run the football program. You're a fan. You're allowed to enjoy a great season. Dabo and company are the ones that have to constantly explore "what went wrong".

null

What is so hard for you folks to understand?

Jan 10, 2013, 3:53 PM

I'm looking at this from the recruits' perspective. Most of them made up their minds long before the Peach Bowl. Going into that game, we had 10 wins against cupcakes and 2 losses against good competition.

And if we score with the recruits coming in and Dabo pulls

Jan 10, 2013, 3:54 PM

a surprise like he has in the past and we end up with a top 10 or close then what is there to understand?

Seeing clearly that he was losing with the facts at hand

Jan 10, 2013, 6:48 PM

AThomas decided to invent some hypothetical facts that better supported his case.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But you referenced our one good win?

Jan 10, 2013, 3:58 PM [ in reply to What is so hard for you folks to understand? ]

So if you only refer to the regular season then what was the one quality win we had? VT? NCSU?

This idea that recruiting stops at the end of the regular season holds no water. Look at the top recruits we are trying to get to come to Clemson. They haven't decided yet.

But anyway, do you have any links to recruits who refer to our regular season as "meh"?

null

after the recruiting was mostly done (aka the peach)***

Jan 10, 2013, 4:16 PM

The fruits of this football season

Jan 10, 2013, 4:18 PM

will be borne in next year's recruiting class. That's the way it works.

Re: What is so hard for you folks to understand?

Jan 10, 2013, 4:00 PM [ in reply to What is so hard for you folks to understand? ]

What recruits told you that? And if that is the case, how is Ole Miss in the running for all these big recruits? How did we bring in such a good class after going 6-7 a few years ago?

So you are channeling your inner 17 year old and he/she has

Jan 10, 2013, 4:04 PM [ in reply to What is so hard for you folks to understand? ]

anti-orange colored glasses, just like you. Each individual being recruited has to look at the things that you mention plus things like academics, closeness to home, family desires/legacy, and probably tons of other things we cannot imagine. And you have somehow channeled all of these variables into your inner 17 year old and computed that the one MAJOR variable that is causing recruits to turn away from Clemson is the schedule they play and that the LSU win was too late? Really? I agree with the poster that called out your anti-orange glasses. Bias isn't only shown by those who wear the orange colored glasses.

You should know that recruits rarely make up their mind

Jan 10, 2013, 4:54 PM [ in reply to What is so hard for you folks to understand? ]

Even LSU helped some. Nobody has made up their mind until they sign their LOI. We've been bitten by that plenty.

Yea no kidding!!

Jan 10, 2013, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Great Year? ]

I'd rather be 8-5 with A big win over FSU and Scar and loses to maryland, nc state, boston college...............

The Bowl win made all the difference, taking us from a

Jan 10, 2013, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Great Year? ]

mediocre/good year, to a great year. And yes, one game can make that much difference.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

yes, it truly did add some significance to the 10 win

Jan 10, 2013, 5:18 PM

season to be able to pull off a quality win against a quality opponent in a prime time bowl.

I'm talking about our current recruiting ranking though, not my measure of the season from my personal point of view.

I believe by the time the CFA bowl game around, many recruits had already written us off, including the blue chips that play everyone until the last minute.

Re: Great Year?

Jan 10, 2013, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Great Year? ]

SGood lord Uttles you are pathetic. You have no clue what recruits are thinking.

A fat ### like yourself has zero in common with a 17 yr old athlete.

It is pathetic a piece of crap like yourself is allowed to troll here the way you do.

null

Re: Can't understand why we are 30th in recruiting with a top 10

Jan 10, 2013, 3:41 PM

Espn has us ranked #13. #theskyisfalling

We're not passing out offer like peanuts? Old Miss 234?***

Jan 10, 2013, 3:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemsontom logic- only happy fans Ohio State, only

Jan 10, 2013, 4:10 PM

undefeated team. Bama sucks because they lose to TAM. ND sucks because they lose to Bama. The only team that is going to get any recruits is Ohio State.
Why bother even recruiting??

Its mostly because we dont have many players commited yet***

Jan 10, 2013, 4:19 PM

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic