Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Boston College Trip and Surrounding area
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Boston College Trip and Surrounding area

Jun 12, 2020, 11:34 PM

Thinking of flying into Boston for the Boston College game in early October. Assuming the game even gets played or I would be one of the lucky few to be allowed in the stadium. If not, I will enjoy the area.

Was thinking of going for about 10 days. Spend first 3 days in Boston, then rent a car and drive up along the coast. Stopping for 2 nights in Maine. Then going across to the White Mountains and then the Green Mountains. Unfortunately, due to lack of time I would have to skip Acadia/Bar Harbor area in Maine. I guess after the Green Mountains I would head back to Boston for a final night. (what do you do, do you just ride along through the mountains looking out at the foliage. Seems like it would get old after awhile)

I imagine that would be peak foliage season but I may be just as happy along the coast the entire 10 days eating lobster and such.

Anyone made this trip and done an itinerary such as this. Adding up the hotel costs, rental car, food, etc, for 10 days you are looking at probably 4k. Thats a bit more than I care for in regards to a domestic trip. 4 to 5k can get you 14 days at upscale resorts in Thailand. That seems like a better deal to me. But perhaps this is an equally good experience. I would rather it max out at about 2.5k though.

Open to any advice.

Stay safe and go tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Boston College Trip and Surrounding area

Jun 13, 2020, 6:13 AM

Acadia is very nice, I would think hard before skipping it. In Boston, think about two days walking around then travel up the coast. Marblehead is a nice little town just north of the city, go over the Tobin bridge then 1A north from there. The leaves are nice and that should be a good time. Seeing the leaves change and the small towns is kind of like going to the mountains or beach. You can't really go there with a packed agenda or you miss the point. Just go and wander and enjoy things. If baseball happens to be in season then a night game at Fenway is really nice. Then come back to Boston and wander some more, microbrews and food, you can walk it off. Speaking of food, the North End is good for a couple of meals and I think since the Big Dig is long over the waterfront along there is much nicer than when I used to wander around there.

Jun 13, 2020, 6:33 AM

I would drop something else before Acadia.

Jun 14, 2020, 3:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Boston College Trip and Surrounding area ]

I appreciate your reply. Thanks for some of the pointers. Certainly what I was hoping to get as a response here.

Thank you

How much $ do u think that trip will cost?***

Jun 13, 2020, 6:32 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How much $ do u think that trip will cost?***

Jun 14, 2020, 3:15 AM

Well, Not sure what others have experienced but doing some rough numbers, including rental car, air fare, hotel, gas, food, tix to Clemson BC game, I've got it averaging out to around $4,000. If I get lucky, maybe $3,500. And that is not with any fancy hotels. It's just the 10 days that adds up that kinda gets you. I figure a few lobster rolls up the coast of Maine and if I am lucky we can average $100 a day on food. I'm fine to have a dollar menu at McDonalds but I doubt the wife wants that everyday and I guess doing that, you are just missing out on the experience as well.

That price is just a little hard to swallow when comparing to Thailand the other year for 14 days and stayed in hotels fancier and nicer than I deserve for a total trip cost of about $4,500.

I'm a travel rookie but I'm a bit OCD so I definitely do my research.

Jun 18, 2020, 6:42 AM

Oh the wife is going! $5500

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2020, 6:51 AM [ in reply to Re: How much $ do u think that trip will cost?*** ]

Do some shopping around for plane tickets. I travel all the time and flying right now is as expensive as I've seen it in years. Also, if you can't find what you are looking for today, log back in tomorrow. Flights are changing all the time these days.

Jun 13, 2020, 7:32 AM

We’ve done just BC game in Boston for 3 days and the trip usually runs 2k at least and that’s without a car.

Few nights downtown, airfare, food prices are same as downtown Charleston, Uber’s, subways passes, it gets pricey quick.

Fun game though, never tailgated but there are some good bars around and BC fans are always game

Jun 14, 2020, 3:18 AM

Cool. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate that feedback.

Go Tigers.

What does Thighland have to do with it? Why would you go there?***

Jun 13, 2020, 7:36 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What does Thighland have to do with it? Why would you go there?***

Jun 14, 2020, 3:17 AM

Thailand has nothing to do with it. I was just simply comparing or saying that I felt you could get more bang for you buck by traveling to a tropical country like Thailand for a longer stay at better hotels, etc. My apologies for that comparison.

Jun 18, 2020, 1:56 AM

Skip Bar Harbor. It’s just a cruise ship destination. (If there are Cruise ships by then ). Check out all the small fishing towns along the coast. Great food and great people. You can eat lobster all day very cheap and fresh out of the water. You will not need a car in Boston. Subway will carry you everywhere.

Jun 20, 2020, 1:52 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm not going to pick up the rental car until after I've finished exploring Boston for about 3 days and then I will get the rental car and head up the coast.

Good not on skipping Bar Harbor. Skip Acadia as well?

yep, small fishing towns are on the list for sure.

Thanks again

Bang for a buck in Thailand ? Sounds like the reason

Jun 25, 2020, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: What does Thighland have to do with it? Why would you go there?*** ]

a lot of guys serving in Nam chose that for R & R.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2020, 11:47 AM

I have been to Acadia/Bar Harbor/Mount Desert Island many times - have family there. I love it - finest spot in the world in the summer, not sure about October. Most of the restaurants and tourist shops likely to be off season. We usually go in June and some places haven't opened for the season yet!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Jun 18, 2020, 12:02 PM

If you like craft beer a stop in Boston to Trillium in Four Points is a must. Around the corner is Row 34, best hot lobster roll I've ever had (I'm not a fan of the cold version)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard the Washington Hotel is pretty neat

Jun 24, 2020, 10:30 PM

in northern NH. One of those old, classic beauties (a la the Shining?) I'm going to go up and take a look. I live north of Boston now, but haven't been up there.

I used to live in Boston, and am confident two days is enough.

Jun 25, 2020, 12:04 AM

It’s a neat city with lots of history, but you can hit the high points in 2 days. Some ideas:

-Walk the Freedom Trail (you’ll see a lot of historical sites this way)
-Do a Duck Tour (super touristy but you can see a lot of the city this way)
-Italian restaurant in the North End
-Fenway
-Check our Harvard in Cambridge
-And of course, go to Chestnut Hill and watch Clemson beat BC

After that, get out of town. Maine is beautiful and you’ll love it. If you like neat cities, check out Portland, Maine. Charming town in southern Maine with some great restaurants. If your wife likes to shop, go to Freeport, Maine for their outlets. She will love it. L.L. Bean is there too.

Lots of great coastal towns in Maine also. Kennebunkport is where the Bush family compound is. Cape Elizabeth is where the famous Portland Head Light is. Rockport and Camden are great too.

If you like seafood, you’ll find some great restaurants along the way.

I can’t speak as much to the New Hampshire and Vermont legs of your trip, but I’m sure the leaf peeping will be great that time of year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Might better hold off on that airline ticket and reservation

Jun 25, 2020, 10:35 AM

There are cities up north requiring quarantining for everyone traveling to "hot-spots". They are blaming Myrtle Beach now for infecting people. I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this.

Jun 25, 2020, 12:50 PM

Cape Cod is very nice and Martha's Vineyard is beautiful (you can rent scooters)

There are folks that have said they travel to the Baseball Hall of Fame but I personally wouldn't do it because it is a trip

Other suggestions are good

Fall is beautiful up there if you hit it right

Parking is very hard around the stadium, but there are a lot of bars

Covid can impact anything and I don't know if I would be planning planes unless you wish to get stuck

I have been stuck because I had a trip planned in April that I had to cancel but airlines wouldn't refund money

Have fun and GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 12:51 PM

I also was NOT impressed by Maine and it is not a short drive but depends on weather and he hit lousy weather

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baseball HOF is near Syracuse... Basketball HOF is in MA.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Boston College Trip and Surrounding area ]

The Baseball HOF is a trip to take when visiting Syracuse.

I think you mean the Basketball HOF in Springfield, MA. Which is a wonderful museum. It has changed and updated since I last visited it years ago but I have family that went more recently and it is a wonderful museum and very interactive. It was always one of my favorite of the Sports HOF's I have been to and the Pro Football HOF is only about 45 minutes away from me here in Ohio (also a decent one).

Jun 25, 2020, 8:45 PM

I go up to the Boston and southern Maine area annually to visit family and sometimes also catch a few games (Sox or Clemson). Right now the southern coast of Maine is currently hurting due to Covid-19. The three southernmost oceanic counties, York, Kenebec, and Cumberland (where Portland is) are all where the activity is for Covid. The other 13 counties of Maine have barely a trace of Covid (and are pretty rural). The governor has been quite strict in how they are handling business openings and allowance of out of the area visitors. Many of the businesses just opened and have very limited quantities of occupancy during hours. Many restaurants are allowed only 50 people or less for dine-in or a handful of people on outdoor eating.

You must also currently quarantine in Maine for 14 days in your lodging before being allowed out to travel or just added in the last few days, have a current negative (same day) covid test at a local hospital and sign a waiver of negative result to stay within the state's lodging and be allowed to roam freely without the quarantine.

As for visiting places in Maine... We stay annually in a little southern coastal town of Ogunquit, Maine. It is a very quaint town on the beach. Everything is mom and pop shops and restaurants. Plenty of cool shops and antiquing. Good food at many of the restaurants. And the best public beach in the area. In October however, it will definitely be off-season and some of the shops will have reduced hours. It is still a nice town to visit and go for a walk around town and/or see the beach. The Perkins Cove area has a handful of good restaurants and also you can catch a whale watching ship or lobstering ship to go out with and observe. Kennybunkport is also a similar town and the Bush's do have a compound up there.

There is also plenty of outlet shopping in Kittery and Stonewall Kitchen in York on your way up from Portsmouth on US 1 has every spreadable jelly, jam, desert sauce... you name the kitchen condiments and they are all pretty good. Many good kitchen items can also be found there as well.

I also second if shopping is a thing to go up and visit the LL Bean outlet in Freeport, Maine and get a picture in front of the big boot!

I have not been to Portland in a while, but it is a neat town as well. Hope this may help a little and you enjoy your trip up this fall hopefully!

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic