Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baseball rules question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 926

Baseball rules question

Jun 18, 2012, 8:36 PM

I know a few of you are pretty hardcore and I can't find an answer to my question. For the second out of the 9th of the UF Kent State game, the 3rd base ump wrung the guy up on a check swing after an appeal by the Kent State manager. Now, my question is this: by rule, doesn't the appeal have to come from the home plate umpire. In this instance kent state bypassed the home plate ump and got the call they wanted after the home plate umpire called it a ball. My understanding is that the catcher or manager is supposed to appeal to home plate and they are supposed to decide if they want the help. But, it seems to have become commonplace (this has become a pet peeve this season, not just tonight) for the catcher to appeal directly to 1st or 3rd base disregarding the home plate ump. Obviously they have nothing to lose if home plate has already ruled the other way so it seems to be happening on every check swing since home plate umps never put their foot down, while I think tonight's call was okay I have seen some atrocious reversals from base refs - so bad I'm pretty sure they didn't even see the check swing and just make a call. In the 2010 CWS a home ref actually waived off a first base call after a catchers appeal since he didn't call for it in one of the Arizona St games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't believe it's required for the home plate ump to call

Jun 18, 2012, 8:43 PM

for a check swing call - it's one of those exceptions where a catcher or manager can appeal directly to a base ump for it. Almost all other appeals though have to go through the home umpire.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball rules question

Jun 18, 2012, 8:46 PM

I am guessing when they point down that is letting the plate ump know they are appealing to the base ump. Most of the time when they point you will see the plate ump look to see the call

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2012, 8:53 PM

I just used to be that they asked home base before pointing down. They just seem to bypass that step now. Didn't know if it was a formal change in rules, if I never understood the rule, or if home plate is just turning a blind eye.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2012, 8:47 PM

Not sure if this answers your question, but the catcher appeals to the umpires down the line (1st and 3rd) because they have the line of sight on the check swing- the only referees on the field that can truly make an accurate call.

Even if the official way of going about it is through home plate umpire, it is generally accepted that you can bypass them and ask for a call from the line judges.

Jun 18, 2012, 8:50 PM

I understand the reasoning of who the appeal goes to. And I know it was mostly ceremonial to request the appeal from home plate. But I always thought it was the letter of the law. And it seems catchers are being more and more aggressive about making the appeal. If it is the rule, I'd just like to see the base umps wait for the signal from home base instead of giving into a catcher every time.

Jun 18, 2012, 8:52 PM

If you watch closely in every situation the 1st or 3rd base umpire will not make a call either way unless the home plate blue asks first by pointing to them. They do appear to be appealing directly to the base umpires, but they do not make the call unless asked by the home plate umpire.

Exactly. Usually you see the home plate ump pointing right

Jun 18, 2012, 8:57 PM

after the catcher points down to ask.

Jun 18, 2012, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Baseball rules question ]

That is what I expect but it didn't appear to happen here. The editing makes it hard to be sure, but it appears that home plate had eyes on the batter as 3rd base wrung him up. And I've been at more than a few games this season where the catcher appeals instantly and gets a call without any waiting on a signal from home plate.

Jun 18, 2012, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Baseball rules question ]

This is a good point. Usually the camera immediately pans down the to 1st or 3rd base umpire and you don't see the "approval" from behind the plate.

Just pulled up the rule book. The home plate umpire does

Jun 18, 2012, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Baseball rules question ]

technically make the appeal, however the appeal itself is mandatory if asked for by a catcher or manager on a check swing that is initially called a ball, which explains the lack of hesitation on behalf of the field umpires to make a call when prompted.

Link:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2011/Official_Baseball_Rules.pdf

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 926
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic