Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As I said back during the season, if ................
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,186

As I said back during the season, if ................

Feb 12, 2018, 3:39 PM

Hunter Johnson would have been the big splash on the CFB season long before Tua if he had replaced Kelly in Syracuse game. But that does not matter now and we move forward. But there will never be that moment this coming year also, if others do not get a chance to play in a game when a teammate is having a bad night or is injured. We could be NC for second str8 year and we would have had a 2 QB situation with Kelly (mostly) and Hunter playing some inside receiver/slot or Kelly actually playing an outside receiver in a few select RPO schemes. No one would change much in middle of season.
And coming into this season with Hunter and Trevor 1-2 during spring and August. Kelly can be an outstanding receiver(inside or outside) and hopefully will be in the NFL in a few years. No expert here, but I would imagine that he projects as a receiver in the future.
I have no complaints about how Dabo and crew have led us in the past. That is why I bring it up again in the offseason. We have plenty of time to make changes the next 5-6 months. And settle into a 2QB system (at least for awhile) as Trevor settles into the system. If we had had Hunter starting and Kelly playing QB when desired by Coaches, I feel that we would have had a different ending. Last year, Kelly would gotten a jump on becoming a receiver, if he had spent time working there and would be prepared to make a switch fully this year If Kelly only carried the ball mainly at a slot, but an occasional pass put in as a surprise.
Kelly could be better prepared to play somewhere else this year, if not needed at QB.
Now we are looking at "early season changes at QB" whether it be Hunter or Kelly starting, Trevor will be playing some. Later in the season, I believe that our QBs will be Hunter and Trevor, or just one of them solely.
I love Kelly B's play in the past, but the thought of him getting the ball 1 on 1 or 1 on 2, in an open space, and KB in or near full stride; has TD wrote all over it.
We have the talent to play more than one QB in many games and likely 2-4 in about half of our games. (Coots, Wake, Furman, Syracuse.....) Of course that is assuming we have a comfortable lead in 2nd half of those games. We should.
Please do not bash me for the suggestion, I am just telling it like I feel it is.
Tiger born, Tiger bred, 78 grad. and will die a Tiger.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As I said back during the season, if ................

Feb 12, 2018, 3:49 PM

If it's ok with you I think we should leave those decisions to the coaches. By the way how much coaching experience do you have .

Feb 12, 2018, 4:14 PM

He's giving a football hypothetical on a football forum and clearly not making the decision for the coaches so no need to give the boring "lets leave it up to the coaches" type of answer. But in my opinion no KB would not make a receiver nor do we have space for him there as he's not more talented than our WR's now. I do not believe he is near the best QB at Clemson neither but I do think he's the most equipped right now. It will be tough for me to imagine our starter once the season begins being surpassed without seriously dismal performances neither.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:38 PM

He's also stating his hypotheticals as facts, which is ludicrous.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 3:56 PM

Absolutely a NO to a 2 QB system. The only reason you run a 2 QB system is if you have a roster full of QBs who suc and you can’t figure out who to start. Line them up in the off season and in the summer and put the best man on the field.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:13 PM

"Woulda, coulda, shoulda, we'll never know. I assume the coaches know more than we do about the players they see practice every day, so I'm thinking KB really was our best option.

Here's what I do know going into next season. If Clemson doesn't win the NC because we can't throw the ball downfield consistently then it's on our OC. After KB you've got HJ, CB, and TL. That's 4 super-stud QB's to work with. If we can't throw the ball downfield without at least one of those dudes there's a BIG problem with our OC/QB coaching and/or play calling.

Have faith....they'll figure it out.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 4:21 PM

In addition to all this talk about the 2018 qb, let's not forget that the rest of the team is pretty awesome. The defense will be just as good, if not better. And I think the kicking game will be better, creating better field position. And honestly (I could be wrong), I think the schedule is a bit softer this year.

The schedule is softer

Feb 12, 2018, 7:26 PM

UNTIL THE PLAYOFFS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you're going back to an opinion of something you

Feb 12, 2018, 4:19 PM

said and still acting like it would have been a fact?

That's the thing I really don't understand, how all these people know what would have happened in a situation if it was done differently.

Then you go on to say KB can be an outstanding receiver...based on what? Have you seen him run routes, catch passes, etc? No, you haven't, so again, you're taking your opinion/speculation and stating it as fact.

Next, why in the hell would we line Hunter Johnson up at any receiver position? That just doesn't make sense, even in the video game world it would not be a smart idea.

Lastly, absolutely no reason for us to run a 2 QB system. Hunter struggled some in garbage time down the stretch making some pretty easy reads against less talented teams than Alabama, he still has some maturing and adapting to do to the college game coming from Indiana high school football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So you're going back to an opinion of something you

Feb 12, 2018, 4:35 PM

Bottom line..... WIN.

If your QB can’t threw it 20 yards but you are winning games, why even consider making a change?

Feb 12, 2018, 6:20 PM

KB can throw 20 and very well. Try watching it helps

Feb 12, 2018, 6:22 PM

I mean others should watch

Feb 12, 2018, 5:02 PM

Good Lord.

Feb 12, 2018, 5:11 PM

Yet “one more” (ad naseum) arm chair Quarterback”s opinion on the obvious “ineptitude” (??) of our coaching staff!

Some facts for all you DUMBar$$es that STILL don’t get it:

1. Kelly Bryant EARNED the job....
2. He replaced Deshaun Watson! I HIGHLY DOUBT a True Freshman (Hunter) would have been up to that task...let alone A Junior with st least some experience (Bryant) going into the season following up a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!
3. Kelly Bryant led us to an ACC Championship & a CFP Birth
4. He (Bryant) IS currently our leader and until the COACHES (imagine that ??) decide otherwise!?!

“What a concept”!

Go Tigers!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 6:00 PM

It'd be interesting to see KB at running back. I understand that KB is best equipped for us to win games right now at QB but that's because he has the experience. It's possible that in the long run one of our younger QB's may be more equipped for us to win games once they're able to get that experience.
I know KB is a little big to be a running back but everyone talks about how good of a runner he is. So, let's highlight his strength and put him in as a running back. That would also force the defense to stay on their toes, having a QB and RB in the backfield that could throw.
I'm not saying we should do this, it's fun to think up unique ways to use our players.

Feb 12, 2018, 6:39 PM

KBs biggest problem is decision making not his arm.
I believe he can make the throws but doesn’t read defenses that well.
When there is nothing he needs to take off and when he has time find the open rec.
Too many times this season he took a sack or got very little yards when if he had taken off gotten positive yards.

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,186
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic