Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Apparently Chad isn't the one mad at Dabo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Apparently Chad isn't the one mad at Dabo

Apr 15, 2014, 2:23 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/15/5616602/clemson-football-dabo-swinney-religious-freedom-complaint

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Apparently Chad isn't the only one mad at Dabo***

Apr 15, 2014, 2:24 PM

Luckily for us God is an Auburn fan, right Gene?

Apr 15, 2014, 2:26 PM

d

Re: Apparently Chad isn't the one mad at Dabo

Apr 15, 2014, 2:28 PM

There is no Constitutional Stipulation of Separation of Chruch and State. In fact, that statement is no where in the constitution. The Constitution simply protects the right of the players to ignore it or accept it. It doesn't protect their right from hearing it or being around it. They can make the decision for themselves if they want to hear or be around it.

It amazes me how people don't understand the constitution. It isn't rocket science. Or just plain make crap up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not understaning the constitution makes it easier....

Apr 15, 2014, 2:33 PM

for the "so called" public-interest groups to use it to support their own self-serving agenda.

Talk about your self-righteous indignation and the epitomy of hypocrisy. They don't want Dabo and company to exerpt their religious beliefs on other but it's OK if they promote their own agnostic or athiestic beliefs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That's because no one knows the constitution anymore.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Apparently Chad isn't the one mad at Dabo ]

Crap like this gains traction because the masses are lacking basic knowledge of how our government is supposed to function. It's the same reason why this current regime can change deadlines, exemptions, etc., of legislation on the fly. People are either too dumb, have their head in the sand, or some combination.

Apr 15, 2014, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Apparently Chad isn't the one mad at Dabo ]

No offense, but you really cannot simply read something as complicated as the Constitution and just know what it means from the words alone. I know this to be true because reasonable minds have differed about its proper interpretation since it was ratified. Thankfully, we have a Supreme Court which gets to decide these kinds of disputes.

You are certainly correct that the phrase "separation of church and state" is not in the First Amendment. What it does say is this "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." This is known as the Establishment Clause.

In Everson v. Board of Education, 330 U.S. 1 (1947),

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=330&invol=1

the Supreme Court held that the Establishment Clause applied to the states as well as the Federal Government. It also held that the purpose of the Establishment Clause was to "erect a wall of separation between church and state." Disagree if you want to, but that's what the Constitution says because that's what the Supreme Court has held it to mean.

As an aside, don't you think religion is better off without the government being involved? There's certainly a decent argument to be made that the separation of church and state has played a large role in the proliferation of religion in this country.

Apr 15, 2014, 4:05 PM

I disagree. It can most certainly be read and understood very simply. Those who wish for it to say what they want it to say tend to debate it and say that it is "up to interpretation". The constitution was written to be taken on exactly what it says. It's only up to interpretation for those who do not like what it says.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM

Let's test this theory out then. Please tell me what Article I, Section 8, paragraph 3 means when it says that Congress shall have the power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes." To make this easier, please focus on the bold text only.

For extra credit, please explain what Amendments 5 and 14 mean when they refer to "due process of law." In your answer, I expect you to explain why these provisions can be read and understood very simply.

Apr 15, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Apparently Chad isn't the one mad at Dabo ]

And yes I do know what the 1st amendment says and it says only "congress", and the 9th amendment says anything else not specified in the document is left to the states and the people. I don't care what the supreme court said, just because they say the constitution says unicorns are real animals doesn't make it true. Just like their ruling on ObamaCare.

I do think govt shouldn't be involved in religion and it isn't in regards to Clemson football.

Apr 15, 2014, 4:25 PM

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the Constitution called for the establishment of a Supreme Court? Should the court not have authority to interpret the constitution?

Oh god. The only thing worse than gamecocks.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:30 PM

Liberals.

There's something in these hills.

Re: Oh god. The only thing worse than gamecocks.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:32 PM

LOL! Best post of the day, rimshot!!

There's some irony in liberals being the reason Detroit

Apr 15, 2014, 2:36 PM

still exists...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Now they're on their way to screw up the South again.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM

We're just now recovering from their last aggression.

Yeah those ##### took our slaves!***

Apr 15, 2014, 2:42 PM

They took our States' Rights under the guise freeing slaves.***

Apr 15, 2014, 2:44 PM

And our jobs!

Apr 15, 2014, 2:51 PM

Re: They took our States' Rights under the guise freeing slaves.***

Apr 15, 2014, 3:39 PM [ in reply to They took our States' Rights under the guise freeing slaves.*** ]

Just like the South fought to keep slaves under the guise of defending States' Rights.

Re: They took our States' Rights under the guise freeing slaves.***

Apr 15, 2014, 3:43 PM [ in reply to They took our States' Rights under the guise freeing slaves.*** ]

YES!!!!!! and they cried to ruin our economy

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I though he was talking about when they all migrated south

Apr 15, 2014, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Yeah those ##### took our slaves!*** ]

for the winter a few months ago

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I though he was talking about when they all migrated south

Apr 15, 2014, 2:45 PM

Months?? they migrated south for the winter YEARS ago and never left.

What about a liberal Capon***

Apr 15, 2014, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Oh god. The only thing worse than gamecocks. ]

Re: Oh god. The only thing worse than gamecocks.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Oh god. The only thing worse than gamecocks. ]

What are your feeling about a Liberal ####???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have never and will never put thoughts towards the subject***

Apr 15, 2014, 3:05 PM

its simple..

Apr 15, 2014, 2:33 PM

if a coach or who ever offers you a bible and you dont believe in that sort of thing..just throw it away or dont accept it.

Why make your own choice when government can do it for you?

Apr 15, 2014, 2:34 PM

It just takes too much energy to think, evaluate, and decide.

SpaghettiO's or beefaroni.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:52 PM

That's as tough as it gets.

Re: its simple..

Apr 15, 2014, 2:35 PM [ in reply to its simple.. ]

The FFR is trying to proactively "protect" the players from discrimination if they choose to do that. They are basically being "offended" on the players' behalf.

For the record, this is NOT a defense for the FFR foundation. Just trying to understand their "thinking", if that is what someone wants to call it.

The question then is who asked for their help?

Apr 15, 2014, 2:37 PM

Couldn't find anyone closer to South Carolina who understands OUR history, religious tradition, etc?

They think they are doing a good service for the nation

Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM

Just like Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door, FFR seemingly goes university to university, trying to spread the good news of atheism.

Does anybody ever ask for Jesse Jackson's help?

Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM [ in reply to The question then is who asked for their help? ]

Probably not.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

He's an extortion consultant. Nothing more.***

Apr 15, 2014, 2:41 PM

is it too late to include "egomaniac"?***

Apr 15, 2014, 2:43 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

he smells the money along with al***

Apr 15, 2014, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Does anybody ever ask for Jesse Jackson's help? ]

when i read it..

Apr 15, 2014, 2:43 PM [ in reply to The question then is who asked for their help? ]

first thing i thought was gamecock fan..considering they arent talking going to court..if it were to go to court names would get out

Apr 15, 2014, 2:35 PM

Catholics and Mormons aren't Christians? I never knew.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2014, 2:36 PM

In my experience, Catholics prefer to be called Catholics, not Christians. :)

It's still a denomination of Christianity***

Apr 15, 2014, 3:51 PM

GO TIGERS

Apr 15, 2014, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Apparently Chad isn't the one mad at Dabo ]

Catholics = OC (Original Christians)... ;)

Mormons not so much***

Apr 15, 2014, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Apparently Chad isn't the one mad at Dabo ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

If they want Dabo to stop "forcing religion on his players"

Apr 15, 2014, 3:48 PM

Then I say

Obama...stop forcing Obamacare on this country

The thing that bothers me is that it appears nobody AT

Apr 15, 2014, 3:50 PM

Clemson was offended. It'd be one thing to me if there were lots of players complaining (though I'd still think it was silly)... but that doesn't even seem to be going on. It's just some group sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. That really grinds my gears.

GO TIGERS

They don't want Dabo forcing his beliefs on his players

Apr 15, 2014, 4:12 PM

but apparently it's OK if this group forces its beliefs on them. Oh the hypocrisy !!!!

If you are a Christian then God is your guide, not some

Apr 15, 2014, 4:16 PM

liberal organization which trys to think for people. Sad that the country has fallen so far.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic