Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone out there hunt upland birds and waterfowl with dogs?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,127

Anyone out there hunt upland birds and waterfowl with dogs?

Aug 13, 2018, 5:24 PM

New owner of a Boykin Spaniel. Any tips about training her to flush and retrieve would be greatly appreciated!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone out there hunt upland birds and waterfowl with dogs?

Aug 13, 2018, 5:30 PM

Did a lot of quail hunting growing up but the rabbit and quail have been replaced by the deer and Turkey. I'm sure there are many videos online that will give you the tips you need. Good luck..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go buy the book " Gundog".....Do everything just like he

Aug 13, 2018, 5:31 PM

says....

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=richard+wolters+gun+dog&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=241626311518&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7856371564923910828&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1025541&hvtargid=kwd-304102662122&ref=pd_sl_20j8zxy4nq_b_p37

and this one.......

https://www.google.com/search?q=water+dog+by+richard+wolters&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS794US794&oq=Waterdog+by&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.8112j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I hope you got your pup at 49 days old....that helps a ton!

There is nothing like watching a dog you trained from a pup, point your birds and then retrieve them!

Good luck and happy hunting!!

Spud

Re: Go buy the book " Gundog".....Do everything just like he

Aug 13, 2018, 5:36 PM

Water dog is a great book for training! I second Spud.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ole Spud,back in the day when I was Ole Young Spud

Aug 13, 2018, 5:51 PM
Young Spud.jpg(68.3 K)

Boys...I was born 40 years too late for the good "Buhhd huntin'".....

Re: Ole Spud,back in the day when I was Ole Young Spud

Aug 13, 2018, 5:53 PM

Looks like a Sweet Sixteen Spud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a 12.......Shortly after that picture was taken, I

Aug 13, 2018, 6:04 PM

bought a little Remmington Special Field 20 with an English stock and a 21 in. barrell in skeet...I loaded my own #9s and I ain't gonna brag....much anyway,but I could bust their A$$ with that little gun. Weighed 6 and a quarter pounds.....when it hit my shoulder I pulled the trigger...and I mean to tell you, to quote Havillah Babcock ( I bet the board Coots don't even know who he was ), I practiced the binocular system of bird shooting!

Aug 13, 2018, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Go buy the book " Gundog".....Do everything just like he ]

Agree. I have Water Dog and the red book by Wolthers from 30 years ago. All you will need.

Aug 13, 2018, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Go buy the book " Gundog".....Do everything just like he ]

Got her at 8 weeks. Do you say that because you need to bond with the pup or because you need start their training that early?

The seeing eye dog foundation discovered it.

Aug 13, 2018, 7:18 PM

Originally they started trsinung their dogs at 2 years old..and about 20% I think made it through. Then, they started getting them at 49 days and only their trainer fed them for the next 2 weeks. That turned out to be the perfect age ti tqke them from theor mothers. After that change, i think 80 or 90 percent made it through...

Aug 13, 2018, 5:34 PM

I have owned several Boykins. I currently have a four year old female I use to retrieve. She is not competed, just used for hunting. She is a natural. Mostly dove but duck occasionally. Boykins are great companions and very good working dogs. Good luck.

Aug 13, 2018, 11:33 PM

I hate i just saw this post 6 hrs later. I am an avid bird hunter. I have German shorthairs. We always had English pointers when I was growing up. I've had shorthairs for almost 6 years now and love them. Great pets and great hunting dogs. I hunt quail and the woodcock that migrate down in December and January. Also, take a trip out to Kansas every year to hunt quail and pheasants. I train my own dogs but as I've stated... mine are pointing dogs so I don't have much experience with flushers. If I were you, I would try some of George hickox's videos. Justin mcgrail is another trainer who is featured on the hunting dog podcast from time to time and is very knowledgable. From my experience, time and creating a a great bond helps to make a dog eager to please and happy to do whatever he/she is asked as long as he/she is introduced and taught properly. Good luck! Life is better with a dog!

Aug 14, 2018, 12:01 AM

Hope I attached those right. If i did, that's a few pics of my germans

Aug 14, 2018, 12:19 AM

Germans are fun. My friend in California has the Nat Champ for 2yr and 3yr GSP. He came in 4th this past year in trials but is well on his way again this year. Only thing, hunting those pen chukkars isn't anything like hunting a wild pheasant that won't lock down for the first 100-250yds. Trials are different by many miles as I hunt in Iowa for wild pheasant every year. My family are big farmers.

Aug 14, 2018, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone out there hunt upland birds and waterfowl with dogs? ]

I hunt with a 6yr old female Boykin. I've been around a lot of bird dogs and GSP's have their qualities, labs have theirs and Boykins have theirs. I have had labs and my dad had boykins but I decided to go smaller with Boykin this time. This dog has the most desire to hunt of any dog I've owned. I hunt dove, quail and pheasant with her. I'm not a formal trainer but I know dogs fairly well. She is a family pet but hunts pretty well.

Couple suggestions on what to do and what not to do. First, make sure the dog is super socialized, boykins have a hard time ignoring other dogs not in an aggressive manner necessarily but they hate not knowing the dogs they see but secondly they are competitive and hate for another dog to return a bird that they saw fall. I have seen it in more than one Boykin, not good at honoring the other dogs hunt. Mine has found a lot of birds that other dogs gave up on just because she is determined.

Secondly, mine started as a retriever for dove at 7mos and did well but she was also a frisbee dog. Unfortunately the fun in a frisbee is catching it in air so when I would shoot she would break immediately whether I hit the bird or not. Then she would run the field looking for the bird. So do not make it a frisbee dog if you wanna hunt.

The last thing I will say, boykins have a tendency to hardmouth birds especially if you let them tear up toys, shoes, furniture as a puppy. So don't let them chew on anything of value including you or family. Mine wanted to destroy her toys and it was a nightmare to keep her from chewing up birds. Give them like one type of item they are allowed to chew on whether it's a Kong toy, rawhide or sticks but reprimand if they chew on anything except approved item.

Good luck, you will have fun. Mine is with me everywhere I go. Tmail me if you have any questions. Oh, and mine is a fishing dog as well. She will watch my rod for hours and if I get a bite she will be watching the rod and water until it's landed! Then give it a quick lick and nip to let it know who is boss.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,127
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic