Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone have or owned with an underground pool?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Anyone have or owned with an underground pool?

May 16, 2015, 7:35 PM

Doing some house hunting and wanted to see how much added maintenance they can be? I know they're nice but are they worth?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone have or owned with an underground pool?

May 16, 2015, 7:48 PM

I have an in ground pool, and how much they cost to operate depends on what kind of system they have. I have the froger system, and they use half the chlorine than the tablet systems do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2015, 7:51 PM

I don't have one but I had to maintain my mother's until the house sold. I can tell you this, there are some shady pool maintenance people out there that will burn you a new one. Get guidance from someone who uses a good pool company. I found out that some are like insurance companies. They give you a good price then gradually raise it. If you maintain the pool yourself, you won't have this problem. Also, be sure and put a timer on the pump. This will save you big bucks on your electricity bill. I would recommend salt treated pools over chlorine. Perhaps someone who has a pool can give you other tips.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2015, 7:58 PM

Good info. My wife and I both grew up around pools; managing one a couple summers in college but it's been a while! Just didn't know if the upkeep is a pain dealing with only using less than half the year.

May 16, 2015, 8:57 PM

Turns you backyard into another world. Sitting in the backyard by the pool is a whole lot different from sitting in the back yard without a pool.

You will find more excuses to stay home for your recreation.

They are well worth the money.

They attract a bevy of good looking females that look great in a bikini.

Little kids can't get enough pool fun.

You will have a lot of new friends you wish would go home.

For some reason people expect you to furnish drinks, cups, towels, music, etc, etc. Then leave with your towels.

Little kids enjoy throwing things like rocks in your pool.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree***

May 16, 2015, 9:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2015, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have or owned with an underground pool? ]

Haha... exactly! You'd do better (i.e.: ROI) to loan, or actually donate your neighbor a few grand and convince him to build a pool in HIS yard, mentioning, perhaps, the first five advantages of "owning one" listed by dom, above. However, my advice - follow his line of reasoning and add to that the hidden costs, the unexpected costs, the possibility of poor installation, rework and ongoing maintenance necessary to sustain those few advantages, the liability and insurance costs, fences to build, etc., and the otherwise constant vigilance necessary to support the luxury and convenience of having your own in-ground pool. I mean, they're a lot of fun and it's cool to be the guy and all, but...........???

Don't mean to be negative, or anything, but think real hard before you go ahead with it. Good luck!

May 16, 2015, 10:26 PM

... p.s.: swimming is one thing, and of course children are another, but maybe a nice big hot tub? (Personally, I've had a lot more fun and relaxation in a hot tub than any swimming pool I've ever been in!) However, no question, pools are great fun, too!

May 16, 2015, 10:29 PM

Most people on this board have more expertise with above ground pools.

Most coots troll their rivals board cuz they have no life...

May 16, 2015, 10:39 PM

true story.

coots swim in doo doo water....

May 17, 2015, 3:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have or owned with an underground pool? ]

at the cesspool known as Wearish Baculums

no, we are not talking about the trailer parks around Columbia

May 17, 2015, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have or owned with an underground pool? ]

You call "home".

May 16, 2015, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have or owned with an underground pool? ]

We bought a house with a cement gunite pool and replace the pump system with a salt system. The "shark" roving vacuum helps keep your work to a minimum. It coast up to $1,000 to purchase, but well worth it. We are 5+ years into it and still going strong.

The cover is not cheap either. We had to get a new one of those and that was ~$3k. But take care of it and it will last a long time.

Do you have to resurface the inside of the pool? If so, go with a pebbletec like surface.

Once set up and running, it is about 30% more on power bill in summer. The opening and closing is doable by you if you learn the process. Otherwise it is ~$250 each way. You shouldn't need other 3rd party service as a routine if you use salt system. Leslie pool store will be your best friend ??

I can say I didn't want a pool because it was just one more thing to maintain, but after it was refurbished and running, it has been easy, easy, easy. And the option to jump in after a hot day working in the yard is priceless (skinny dipping on occasion too).

The pool parties for the kids are fun too.

Underground pool? Is that the same thing as an aquifer?

May 16, 2015, 7:58 PM

That would be tough to swim in.

Ha! Yes in-ground!***

May 16, 2015, 7:59 PM

Septic tank?***

May 16, 2015, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Underground pool? Is that the same thing as an aquifer? ]

My parents have one, and if the grandkids didn't love it so

May 16, 2015, 8:09 PM

my dad would fill it in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Yes I had one in Arizona that was awesome...

May 16, 2015, 8:21 PM

Get decent filter and pebble-tec surface....keep the water balanced and you will be ok...I loved mine..

Re: Yes I had one in Arizona that was awesome...

May 16, 2015, 8:34 PM

You may want to try salt water. Feels much better on the skin than chlorine and a lot cheaper/easier to take care of. As one of the others said, pool companies and pool maintenance companies will rip you off, sell you a lot that you don't really need and charge WAAAYYY too much for just about everything.

Jacuzzis are pretty nice too!

Re: Yes I had one in Arizona that was awesome...

May 16, 2015, 8:44 PM

I endorse this advice! ??

I've owned in ground pools since 1975........

May 16, 2015, 8:45 PM

at two of the homes that we have owned. Living here in central Florida, it is a no-brainer and totally worth the expense. They do require maintenance and it is more difficult if you have a lot of trees and shrubs in your yard. We have minimized maintenance by having a 5ft. stucco wall around the pool area and it is screened. We also have a pool vacuum that runs by the pool pump and automatically vacuums the pool. We can swim comfortably 8-9 months of the year because of the solar panels. If you live in a cold weather climate, I don't think a pool is worth it. A pool is certainly a luxury and an added expense and you have to balance the amount of use with the added expenses. Although you can minimize expenses and maintenace, its still a question of use.

Re: I've owned in ground pools since 1975........

May 16, 2015, 8:54 PM

Yep. We live in an Atlanta suburb and we get 4 months of good use. We have not even opened ours yet as of May 15, so we are not spending any $ on it yet. Next week we plan to open it and that will take ~$250 and then our power bill will go up by $40/month for 4-5 months.

We maintain it ourselves during the year and the automated vacuum is the only way to go.

Then we close it and that will be another $150. Once closed, the operating expense is zero.

After 5 years, I think it is worth the expense and hassle.

Mow the lawn in June/July/August, walk up to the pool, strip (assuming you have the privacy) and fall in. Priceless!

I'd love to fill mine with dirt. Wife loves it.***

May 16, 2015, 9:22 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd love to have filled mine in while my ex was in it.***

May 17, 2015, 8:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2015, 9:48 AM

Growing up my parents had one and delegated the maintenance to me. Was not a big deal, however we had a somewhat wooded lot and I do NOT recommend that. Triple the cleaning and lots of animals find their way into it. Was a lot of fun and was invaluable on 100 degree days in SC.

Once I had my own house I got a hot tub and that was great. Less maintenance and prob used as much as the pool.'comment about friends was right: would show up to my house expecting music/drinks/towels etc and even once used it when I was on vacation. Be prepared for that kind of stuff,

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic