Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC perception is not reality
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

SEC perception is not reality

Sep 16, 2014, 3:45 PM

With 4 SEC teams in the top 10 who only play cupcakes or each other from here on out, they are almost guaranteed a spot in the top 4.

90% of it is perception instead of reality. For example:
Alabama will play a really good Ole Miss team on October 4th. I know Ole Miss is really good because the polls say they are (top 10). Plus they will be 4-0 after wins over Boise State, Vanderbilt, LA-Lafayette, and Memphis. If Alabama loses that game (on the road to a top 10 team), there is no reason to drop Alabama down more than a couple spots. And Ole Miss should definitely move up into the top 4. If Alabama wins then they should get some first place votes and Ole Miss shouldn't drop more than a couple spots.

Can't lose when you have situations like that every week.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC perception is not reality

Sep 16, 2014, 3:49 PM

That is well and good, but the ACC continues to lose pivotal out of conference match-ups on the regular.

US vs. UGA, UVA vs. UCLA...I'm sure there are more already.

There are only 2 ACC teams deserving of a ranking right now, and we will likely be out after we lose this weekend.

'just the way it is, things are never gonna change'

ACC teams have already beat OK State, Ohio State, and USC

Sep 16, 2014, 3:52 PM

The ACC deserves some respect for that.

Re: ACC teams have already beat OK State, Ohio State, and USC

Sep 16, 2014, 7:30 PM

And lost to ecu, back to square one

BC over USC

Sep 16, 2014, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC perception is not reality ]

But of course, that win had nothing to do with BC. USC was just way overrated. Despite beating Stanford (the best defense in the country so far this season) on the road, USC just isn't very good.

Re: BC over USC

Sep 16, 2014, 3:57 PM

speaking of overrated, what about Ohio State?

I know the QB loss was HUGE, but why were they still ranked #5 or whatever?

Re: BC over USC

Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 AM [ in reply to BC over USC ]

What do you think B.C.'s record will be this year?
I seriously have to wonder if they are good again this quickly, or if that was a fluke game. I honestly do not know. Time will tell.

That one didn't fit his argument.

Sep 17, 2014, 8:00 AM [ in reply to BC over USC ]

Neither did Clemson vs LSU/OSU/UGA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Did anybody think UVa would be beat UCLA?

Sep 16, 2014, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC perception is not reality ]

That's like saying the SEC should lose credit because Tennessee got smoked by Oklahoma. Sadly, nobody will notice that UVa should've won against UCLA, while Tennessee never came close to OU.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, b/c Pitt, nor BC, nor VT, nor Duke have won anything

Sep 16, 2014, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC perception is not reality ]

unlike Ole Miss, who has earned that ranking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As SVP said, if Duke was called 'Vandy,' they'd be in the top 10***

Sep 17, 2014, 12:54 AM

ACC vs SEC so far

Sep 17, 2014, 1:51 AM

So far in 2014 the SEC is 30-2 in OOC games
The ACC is 27-5

The collective records of the OOC teams the SEC has played is 36-43 which is a .473 winning percentage.

The collective records of the OOC teams the ACC has played is 41-44 which is a .482 winning percentage.

Again the SEC gets the spin by the media and the overall record versus OOC teams is not very different between the ACC and SEC. The SEC has a little better record, but the teams the ACC have played have a better winning percentage.

I went through all of their schedules yesterday

Sep 16, 2014, 5:02 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15801595#15801595

It's pretty much the same thing for each team currently ranked in the top 10. They'd have to go down in a big upset to fall much in the rankings.

Give them credit for winning almost all of their big

Sep 16, 2014, 5:07 PM

bowl games, once other teams from other conferences start beating them in these type games on a consistent basis, you may have an argument. You don't right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Give them credit for winning almost all of their big

Sep 16, 2014, 5:10 PM

> bowl games, once other teams from other conferences
> start beating them in these type games on a
> consistent basis, you may have an argument. You don't
> right now.

So far the SEC is 18-0 vs. OOC teams, even though many were cupcakes, still, no OOC losses, so until that happens, they get the benefit of the press.

Sep 16, 2014, 5:33 PM

> So far the SEC is 18-0 vs. OOC teams, even though
> many were cupcakes, still, no OOC losses, so until
> that happens, they get the benefit of the press.

Wrong. Vandy lost to Temple in week 1 and Tennessee lost to Oklahoma in week 3. The SEC has done well in OOC games so far, but let's keep the facts straight.

Sep 16, 2014, 5:40 PM

> > So far the SEC is 18-0 vs. OOC teams, even though
> > many were cupcakes, still, no OOC losses, so until
> > that happens, they get the benefit of the press.
>
> Wrong. Vandy lost to Temple in week 1 and Tennessee
> lost to Oklahoma in week 3. The SEC has done well in
> OOC games so far, but let's keep the facts straight.

Yep, forgot about those two. Is Vandy still an SEC FB program?

Sep 16, 2014, 5:42 PM

They are, but only when the academics of the conference get brought up.

Sep 16, 2014, 8:49 PM

The actual record is 37-2. The ACC has the next best record.

Sep 16, 2014, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Give them credit for winning almost all of their big ]

Just last year you SEC homers were bragging about them winning the BBVA Compass Bowl.

Like the MNC last year? Or the Sugar Bowl?***

Sep 16, 2014, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Give them credit for winning almost all of their big ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. That needs to happen consistently.***

Sep 16, 2014, 10:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sucks they play 80% of their bowl games against the Big10***

Sep 17, 2014, 12:26 AM [ in reply to Give them credit for winning almost all of their big ]

Posters like you, despite the fact that some of what you say

Sep 16, 2014, 5:13 PM

might actually have some validity, make the Clemson fan base sound like a bunch of crybaby sore losers.

Don't you realize that the coots read posts like yours & laugh their silly butts off?

By all means, carry on.

smh.

Re: Posters like you, despite the fact that some of what you say

Sep 17, 2014, 8:06 AM

Coots can read?

Here's how this works.

Sep 16, 2014, 5:25 PM

Only two teams could come out of the regular season undefeated. That's probably not going to happen but let's speculate. Those two teams will be on different side of the conference and therefor play in the SECCCG. There's no way the playoff committee will seed two teams from the same conference. The rematch of LSU/Bama is what brought the playoff about. They would play each other again only in the final. Remember watching that game? Neither does the rest of America.

Is it that you don't really think the SEC champ deserves a shot at the NC?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I don't think the SEC champ deserves a spot by default

Sep 16, 2014, 5:40 PM

Say a 2-loss SEC team wins their championship game. Should they get into the playoff. Depends on who else is left. They don't "deserve" a shot just because they are from the SEC, but many will argue otherwise.

A two loss SEC team is probably better than a one loss...

Sep 16, 2014, 5:47 PM

team from either the B1G or the PAC. I don't like the hype either, brother, but the truth is that the SEC still has three to five teams that are really competitive across the board. I don't think they have five or six worthy of the top ten every year but remember, those polls will level or be trivial when the selection committee composes and publishes it's poll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A two loss SEC team is probably better than a one loss...

Sep 16, 2014, 5:58 PM

The only reason we still have poles is to appease the sec fans who have the biggest fan base (as a conference).

They have the best stadiums, highest paid coaches, and most watched games in CFB. It's no wonder espn and the sec continue to push this narrative.

I'd bet money unranked Duke could beat top 10 ole miss at a neutral site. Acc has better out of conference wins. Went 2-0 in BCS games last year, while sec was 0-2.

The bias is just painful but once you realize it's a money game it all makes sense.

Sep 16, 2014, 6:00 PM

I think it's hilarious that if Clemson were in the SEC none of you would have any complaints about the SEC.

Meanwhile Clemson would lose 1 to 3 more games per season & you'd probably be calling for the coaches' heads instead.

smh.

Just like TAMU and Missouri?

Sep 17, 2014, 12:51 AM

How is it tht those teams suddenly became world beaters when they joined the SEC?

Sep 17, 2014, 2:49 AM [ in reply to Re: A two loss SEC team is probably better than a one loss... ]

Exactly!! South Carolina beat 8 teams who one their bowl games last year. Two of those were bcs bowl winners. One of those was the University of Clemson. There are too many good teams in the sec for all of them to get a bcs bowl game. You guys are kidding yourselves to think that you would have been in a bcs bowl game last year if you had been in the sec. Im glad that y'all did and I was pulling for you guys to beat ohio state.

Sep 17, 2014, 6:44 AM

Clemson is scar's bowl game now. He's learned how to appease the fans since he still has ### losses each season.

But no worries, scar has about a month to prepare for auburn (what a brutal sec schedule!) and win that with no other slip ups and you deserve a trip to seccg where you will be demolished giving you a two game losing streak.

Sep 17, 2014, 7:52 AM

Yeah SC's first 3 games are at home, then in the road to Vandy, then back home to play Furman. All they have to worry about is Florida and Clemson. Of course Tenn and Kentucky could be trap games. It is amazing they get so much credit and the accolades for playing an SEC schedule. And all I hear from coot fans is how strong their SOS is. I hope they lose to Auburn, us, and Tennessee/ and or Florida. It seems on their 2 wins the horseshoe made an appearance again.

Anyone else notice it seems that the home team in many games have gotten the men in stripes on their side more often than not? Examples- Us vs UGA and the officials turning blind eyes to Georgia defenders practically ripping our receivers jerseys off. SC getting one heck of a spot against UGA basically saying, "ok SC were gonna give you the ball and let you run the clock out for the win." Last, but not least is Florida vs Kentucky in triple OT. The time clock runs out hitting zero yet Florida is still allowed to run the play.

It has been ugly.

Re: A two loss SEC team is probably better than a one loss...***

Sep 17, 2014, 9:13 AM

Sep 17, 2014, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: A two loss SEC team is probably better than a one loss... ]

> Yeah SC's first 3 games are at home, then in the road
> to Vandy, then back home to play Furman. All they
> have to worry about is Florida and Clemson. Of course
> Tenn and Kentucky could be trap games. It is amazing
> they get so much credit and the accolades for playing
> an SEC schedule. And all I hear from coot fans is how
> strong their SOS is. I hope they lose to Auburn, us,
> and Tennessee/ and or Florida. It seems on their 2
> wins the horseshoe made an appearance again.
>
> Anyone else notice it seems that the home team in
> many games have gotten the men in stripes on their
> side more often than not? Examples- Us vs UGA and the
> officials turning blind eyes to Georgia defenders
> practically ripping our receivers jerseys off. SC
> getting one heck of a spot against UGA basically
> saying, "ok SC were gonna give you the ball and let
> you run the clock out for the win." Last, but not
> least is Florida vs Kentucky in triple OT. The time
> clock runs out hitting zero yet Florida is still
> allowed to run the play.
>
> It has been ugly.

How about a big third down stop where Gurley headbutts and pushes South Carolina player we get called for the unsportsmanlike conduct. That was really ugly. I thought that both spots were generous towards Georgia.

Sep 17, 2014, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: A two loss SEC team is probably better than a one loss... ]

> Clemson is scar's bowl game now. He's learned how to
> appease the fans since he still has ### losses each
> season.
>
> But no worries, scar has about a month to prepare for
> auburn (what a brutal sec schedule!) and win that
> with no other slip ups and you deserve a trip to
> seccg where you will be demolished giving you a two
> game losing streak.

Time will tell im out of the prediction buisness after Texas A&M game.

I just hope the championship committee doesnt buy into this

Sep 16, 2014, 5:36 PM

malarkey. I will be very disappointed if om wrong.

BTW, this is the first time I've used the word malarkey!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just hope the championship committee doesnt buy into this

Sep 16, 2014, 6:02 PM

> malarkey. I will be very disappointed if om wrong.
>
>
>
>
>
> BTW, this is the first time I've used the word
> malarkey!

Maybe, definately first time you used the word om though. :)

Sep 16, 2014, 10:17 PM

Haha

Not the first and maybe, definitely not the last!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2014, 10:24 PM

:)

Have a look at upcoming schedules. Plenty of chances to change things.

Sep 16, 2014, 6:03 PM

K State takes on Auburn on Thursdee. Go Wildcats! Also, UT just got thumped by Oklahoma.

Noles get Gators at home this year. I hate the SEC and gators so I can't pull for them. But you also won't see me pump my fist when FSU scores.

UofL gets UK this year in their annual matchup. I'd be really disappointed to see the Cards drop this one.

Same goes for GT playing ThUGA. Again, I thumb down the SEC and always enjoy a good upset.

We get the cockflock. It's time we handle our business at home. We must beat these guys! It's imperative.

The SEC west will beat themselves up. Looks like a four team race and I think Ole Miss gets four losses here and adios top ten hype. It'll sort itself out.

Re: SEC perception is not reality

Sep 16, 2014, 7:20 PM

In all fairness, the SEC does pretty good in bowl season every year. Thankfully FSU beat Auburn. The SEC has a good showing every year in bowl season. We are the second best team in the ACC and we lost to a mid tier SEC team already. We have not had too much success against the coots lately. I am not saying the SEC is all its hyped up to be, but we should just concern ourselves with winning our games and quit worrying about the SEC. FSU proved the ACC can get an undefeated team in the title game. Lets just worry about going undefeated and quit worrying about the SEC.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic