Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How certain are y'all that ACC is blowing up?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

How certain are y'all that ACC is blowing up?

May 20, 2012, 12:33 PM

This is not intended as a flame, but simply an honest question. I talked with my Clemson friend from work yesterday and he is adamant that all of this is just internet noise. In his opinion, Clemson and FSU both want to be in the ACC for academic reasons and for that reason, neither is going anywhere. Then I come here and the consensus opinion seems to be that this is a done deal.

Personally, I hope that my friend is right. I grew up with the ACC (and for a long time wished we were still in it). Ending the ACC with those rivalries, many of which include y'all, would be a sad day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may not blow up.... but

May 20, 2012, 9:30 AM

It won't include Clemson and FSU

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Academic reasons make no sense...Vanderbilt is a very good..

May 20, 2012, 12:36 PM

Academic school. I don't think when graduates are looking for jobs the potential employers say the sec academics suck.

Re: Academic reasons make no sense...Vanderbilt is a very good..

May 20, 2012, 12:39 PM

I'm very tired of hearing the academic argument!

It's a stupid argument.***

May 20, 2012, 12:41 PM

and amazingly, Vanderbilt competes in the SEC without

May 20, 2012, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Academic reasons make no sense...Vanderbilt is a very good.. ]

an athletic department

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i myself think it is all hogwash..

May 20, 2012, 12:36 PM

would love to see us move to a football conference.but i wont believe it until it happens

Not sure it's hogwash. Facts are that the...

May 20, 2012, 12:41 PM

Big 12/sec just signed the contract where the champions of wach conference would play each other. The big 12 will need to add 2 more teams to get the lucrative championship game the desperately want. I guess there I a possibility we won't be one of those 2 but fsu, nd,and clemson has got to be the best teams available. If we are stuck in the acc we may as well get rid of football or be happy never having a possibility to play for nc.

Re:Then we had better get use to it.***

May 20, 2012, 1:32 PM

how is the current Big 12 a football conference absent FSU?

May 20, 2012, 12:50 PM [ in reply to i myself think it is all hogwash.. ]

Texas and OU - that is it. Maybe W. Virginia, but they haven't played a game yet in the Big 12 (10) I predict W. Virginia's recruiting will suffer especially in PA after this move to the big 12.

All the other teams in the Big 12 (10) cycle in and out of the top 25 just like the ACC schools.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully we'll be bringing with us the only 2 ACC rivalries

May 20, 2012, 12:37 PM

I actually care a lot about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How certain are y'all that ACC is blowing up?

May 20, 2012, 12:37 PM

Nothing is ever certain until it happens, my opinion is that changes are impending and CU better not be on the outside looking in. I don't see how the ACC can remain viable in the year 2015 with the new format. Of course a lot can happen in 2 years...Your friend needs to get his head out of the sand or whatever dark spot it might be stuck in! My guess is 95% that at least 4 teams leave the ACC for the Big XII!

I agree, this is just noise.

May 20, 2012, 12:44 PM

Clemson will not go to the Big 12 without FSU. I really think FSU is playing hardball to get into the SEC or squeeze more money out of the ACC in whatever fashion they can.

If the SEC were to take FSU, all bets are off. Until that happens, I think the ACC remains intact.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Clemson and fsu don't get in the new big 12...

May 20, 2012, 12:46 PM

Heads at those universities should roll bc they will ruin their schools football program.

you have your opinion, I have mine. Unless FSU bolts

May 20, 2012, 12:55 PM

to the Big 12(10) (and I don't think they will based on their presidents remarks) we would be idiots to go it alone.

FSU wants into the SEC and they may eventually get it. Until they do, the ACC remains intact.

Fsu president will be forced to. The sec only has 2 availab

May 20, 2012, 1:00 PM

And Clemson fsu won't benefit them as far as tv ratings.

Re: We should not give an iota about what FSU does.***

May 20, 2012, 1:41 PM [ in reply to you have your opinion, I have mine. Unless FSU bolts ]

yeah, lets go to the Big 12 without FSU, that makes so

May 20, 2012, 9:33 PM

much sense. Lose our biggest conference rival to go play Kansas. Man I can't wait for those home games vs. Iowa St. et al.

Re: I agree, this is just noise.

May 20, 2012, 12:48 PM [ in reply to I agree, this is just noise. ]

If FSU leaves the ACC becomes even more irrelevant! Your argument lacks thought!

90+%***

May 20, 2012, 12:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2012, 12:59 PM

I think Slive and the incoming Commish at the Big12 have formed an alliance and a plan...Big12 takes FSU, Clemson, GT and gets the TV markets in Fl, GA, and the Carolinas. (Big12 goes after Miami, ND, and Pitt in the future to round out the 16.)

SEC takes VT and NCSU and gets the NC and VA markets.

Big10 and Pac12 counteract, with Big10 taking UNC and VA. Not sure about the Pac.

And there's the start of your four super conferences.

Wouldn't it have been easier to have kicked out Duke and

May 20, 2012, 1:11 PM

Wake and added West Virginia, Notre Dame, UConn and Rutgers?

If the ACC had the huevos to do that, then it makes the cut as one of the final four with the Big12 picked apart by the PAC (Texas), B1G (Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State), and SEC (OU, OSU).

A lot of Clemson folks who are not on boards or blogs are

May 20, 2012, 1:02 PM

Either unaware or dismissive of all of this. My father (Class of '51) is a Heisman donor and West Zone member who knew nothing of any of this until I told him few days ago. He was incredulous to the point of being dismissive of it for about 48 hours. He now calls me every few hours so I can tell him what's on the "g-d" internet about it now.

Personally, I think FSU administration has cold feet over academics. Ditto Clemson. The addition of Miami and Georgia Tech will appease those concerns as well as travel and lack of natural rivals concerns.

Re: A lot of Clemson folks who are not on boards or blogs are

May 20, 2012, 1:05 PM

Same here- I told some older Tigers at church this am and they haven't heard a word on conf. realignment.

May 20, 2012, 1:25 PM

That is b/c they only turn their hearing aid on at church.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And you can bet that they won't like it.***

May 20, 2012, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: A lot of Clemson folks who are not on boards or blogs are ]

May 20, 2012, 1:40 PM [ in reply to A lot of Clemson folks who are not on boards or blogs are ]

I agree. The ONLY place you can have a discussion about it is on this board. Nobody's heard any of this anywhere. The complete silence is part of a master plan, so we got that going for us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
- Steve Martin

May 20, 2012, 1:16 PM

Sill can't tell the truth can You. You coots, every single one of you would love and actually pray that Clemson stays with the ACC. The SEC money is the ONLY reason the coots are pulling ahead. Clemson to the B 12 FOOTBALL conference puts it all back on even footing again. And that would mean the only thing y'all could Crow about would be your SEC homer status. Hey, you will always have your tallest midget awards though.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2012, 2:23 PM

Actually, I'm a pretty truthful person. Were that not the case, why in the world would I admit to wanting back into the ACC until fairly recently. If I was deceitful, I would have registered here using some handle with tigers, esso, or orange included and pretended to be one of you. I've lived in ACC country my entire life and would hate to see the conference break apart. There is no inherent reason why the ACC can't generate money equal to the other conferences except that the conference leadership is consistently a little late to the party, regardless of where the party might be headed.

IMO, college athletics are traveling a course that could lead to its eventual ruin. Texas A&M is going to have an annual game with South Carolina, but not with Texas. Ditto Missouri's situation with South Carolina visa vi Kansas. When you guys talk about the list of attractive games you would play in the Big 12, you always include a game with us. But are we really sure that the Carolina-Clemso rivalry survives yet another re-alignment?

You are correct. Texas not playing Texas AM

May 20, 2012, 9:45 PM

Nebraska not playing Oklahoma,Pitt not playing Penn St or West Virginia, Clemson not playing UGA and who knows, eventually USC if we "get left behind in conference USA" will destroy the golden goose laying the eggs. ( ps I don't think we will get left behind, but that is what the fear mongers would have you believe)

This is all terrible for the future of college football. If we keep heading down this path, eventually schools like Vanderbilt or Northwestern will be kicked out of their respective conferences to make room for the bigger programs.

SEC money has NOTHING to do with coots "pulling ahead."

May 20, 2012, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: How certain are y'all that ACC is blowing up? ]

Name one thing in football the coots have bought that we don't have?

They have a Hall of Fame football coach WHO FELT SORRY FOR THEM and TOOK A PAY CUT so that he could go down in history as the winningest coach in coot history.

They have not had a disportionate amount of money as of yet. With the new deal, they may, but this IS NOT the reason they managed to beat us 3 times.

99.999%

May 20, 2012, 2:25 PM

Before the SEC-Big-12 bowl 80%. Now it's guaranteed.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic