Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
38 years ago tonight we were watching the Rose Bowl waiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

38 years ago tonight we were watching the Rose Bowl waiting

Jan 1, 2020, 6:42 PM

for it to finish so we could go to what really mattered. There weren't big intros...they took you straight to the game with the aerial shot and the music. "This is it! The national championship of college football is on the line tonight..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IALRi3G_Uxw

You can obviously find the whole game on youtube, but this is the intro and it was thrilling because we had to wait for the Rose Bowl to go off the air before going to the Orange Bowl. Once the game came on the air I didn't move for fear of jinxing everything Clemson had worked so hard for.

Don Criqui and John Brodie did a great job other than the mention of Clemson's NCAA troubles, which had no place being mentioned in this game. The report from the coaches' booth is something I never saw before this game nor since but was awesome to be included. Coordinators and assistant coaches didn't get nearly the attention they get now so it was good to see that perspective at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IALRi3G_Uxw

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 38 years ago tonight we were watching the Rose Bowl waiting

Jan 1, 2020, 6:57 PM

Thanks for that memory. Sitting in the OB locker room before the game is something I will never forget. I was telling the story today to a couple of my friends. I got goosebumps, no lie. BillyD #24

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the clutch punt return!!!

Jan 1, 2020, 7:01 PM

Was the opening with coach Ford something they came in and said OK, coach, say something to the team that we can use on the broadcast, or was that the real pregame speech from coach Ford?

Re: Thanks for the clutch punt return!!!

Jan 1, 2020, 7:05 PM

NOT the pregame speech. Was done the day before. Staged.

Jan 1, 2020, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: 38 years ago tonight we were watching the Rose Bowl waiting ]

Billy Davis?

Jan 1, 2020, 7:07 PM

Yes sir. GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!

Jan 2, 2020, 9:47 PM

I remember two big plays you made. One was the big return against Nebraska. You almost took it to the house. And the other was a clinching interception against Maryland and Boomer in a game at College Park. Good memories! Thanks.

I ran into one of your old teammates

Jan 2, 2020, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: 38 years ago tonight we were watching the Rose Bowl waiting ]

a couple years ago. Chuck McSwain. You guys both are all time Tiger greats!

Jan 2, 2020, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: 38 years ago tonight we were watching the Rose Bowl waiting ]

Thanks for checking in! When we have the occasional Jim Phillips discussions on here, I always "hear" Jim saying "Davis back deep for the Tigers..."

Billy, it has been...well..a long time since I had the

Jan 1, 2020, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Re: 38 years ago tonight we were watching the Rose Bowl waiting ]
spud2.jpg(99.7 K)

pleasure of standing on the sideline watching the GT game that Spiller made a human highlight film..If you are ever back in Clemson, I would like to get this pic signed to go in my bonus room. I would even be willing to pull security with you for the Etienne family....I guess I would be what one of my buddies, a colonel in the army, always referred to as "Cannon Fodder"...but I would try...

Billy is on the right in the orange jacket...

Jan 1, 2020, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: 38 years ago tonight we were watching the Rose Bowl waiting ]

24TIGER said:

Thanks for that memory. Sitting in the OB locker room before the game is something I will never forget. I was telling the story today to a couple of my friends. I got goosebumps, no lie. BillyD #24

Billy. Thanks for your service to this country and to your faith. I really enjoyed your interview with Larry Williams. You are a Clemson legend. I work with a bunch of Kentucky grads for a company in Kentucky. I now have something to pull for in the Wildcats.

Message was edited by: reynolds®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And in that game like most of our CFP appearances, few,

Jan 1, 2020, 7:02 PM

if any, including a whole lot of Clemson fans, believed we could beat big, ole, bad Nebraska.

I remember that game, as if it were yesterday, and being in complete disbelief that we won. Fast forward to present day: we have played eight CFP games, have won six, including two national titles.

Folks, I know people, and I will tell you this: all the jabber, bragadocio and bombast coming out of Louisiana is a cover...a cover for what that entire crowd knows. They KNOW what I just mentioned...eight appearances in the CFP; six victories, including two of the last three titles, snd a complete upending of "the greatest team in the land...Alabama." Something they hadn't done in eight years and only did by a few points this year with Bama's star QB missing.

They know what's coming; they know this will be their greatest test; Coach O (who I like, by the way) darn well knows it; we know they will be a great test. And anyone who tries to claim otherwise is whistling Dixie.

GO TIGERRRRRRRRS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2020, 7:16 PM

On January 1, 1982, ESPN was yet to televise a live college football game. That would not occur until December 1982 for the Independence Bowl.

Right it was Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl on NBC

Jan 1, 2020, 7:28 PM

Sugar Bowl was on ABC. Keith Jackson was the announcer.

Cotton Bowl was CBS. Lindsey Nelson was the announcer.

#### Enberg was the announcer for the Rose Bowl.

That was truly one of the best days for announcers.

Re: Right it was Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl on NBC

Jan 2, 2020, 9:49 PM

Yes. Three great announcers.

Jan 1, 2020, 7:22 PM

the corns were pissed they had to play us. They felt beating us wouldn't be enough to propel them to the #1 spot. We would be shown to be over rated. We kindly showed them the winner of the game would in fact, be the champs.

I was there with my parents in the Nebraska section

Jan 2, 2020, 9:59 PM

family friend who used to play for Nebraska got us the tickets.
and how cool there is clemson royalty in this thread!

no cable, heck didn't even have a remote. the good ole days***

Jan 2, 2020, 10:33 PM

Re: no cable, heck didn't even have a remote. the good ole days***

Jan 2, 2020, 11:27 PM

We bought a VCR recorder just in time to record the game. It's on tape around here somewhere.

Jan 2, 2020, 11:42 PM

I remember that night.was in 9th grade. I didnt expect us to win. i mean the NC? we were the best team in the nation? i loved my togers a d we had done some butt kicking that season, but #1?! i just couldn't imagine. and then we won. i was so excited i didn't know what to do.

i remember Tuttle in the end zone, i remember Perry dunking a football o era the goalposts, i remember Dave Remington being presented as the greatest ever to play his position...that was a heck of a night.

Jan 3, 2020, 1:28 AM

Ok I was 12 and I forgot ... who was in the Rose Bowl and who won ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Washington 28 Iowa 0***

Jan 3, 2020, 7:32 AM

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic