Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
QUOZZELLL!!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

QUOZZELLL!!!!

Dec 31, 2019, 11:46 AM

Can you give an in-depth analysis of what makes the LSU offense click, what you think our plan of attack is, and any other details we may be missing?

I think ETN puts on a clinic for us in his home state. He only carried the ball 10 times against osu and I think that was by design. I also think LSU probably has the best pass blocking scheme in CFB, but Venables is the kind of mad scientist who can keep them guessing.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: QUOZZELLL!!!!

Dec 31, 2019, 11:52 AM

I second this motion. LSU executes the level concept really well. How do you stop that?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 1:23 PM

Top Billing did some film breakdown of Auburn that I thought was insightful. You may want to seek it out. The main thrust was that you have got to play press against them (with safeties over the top to keep you from getting burned long). If you give them any space underneath they will see it pre-snap - make the easy short throw and either nickle & dime you down the field or turn a short throw into a long gain with yards after the catch.

It seems to me that our 3 - 3 - 5 could pull this off if we sub in extra corners. The million dollar question is, can we stop the run or the screen pass in that configuration ?

Like everyone else here, I trust BV to come up with the best answer

This Brady kid may be the new BV of offense - scary thought.

Dec 31, 2019, 11:55 AM

Here's a good article from November 6, explaining the changes made to LSU's offense:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28015035/how-lsu-tigers-offense-completely-changed-thanks-joe-brady

It will take a little bit of time to sort through numbers, but I believe the article provides the narrative.

Dec 31, 2019, 12:18 PM

Here's an SI article, with some stats:

https://www.si.com/college/2019/12/30/lsu-vs-clemson-national-championship-preview

Dec 31, 2019, 12:33 PM

Against ranked teams, the average scores have been:

LSU (6 GAMES)- 43-27

Clemson (3 GAMES)- 38-18

Not surprising, LSU incredibly explosive and not so good on defense. Clemson explosive and solid on defense.

They are going to air raid us

Dec 31, 2019, 11:58 AM

So I expect to see us in the 3-3-5 / 3-2-6 a lot showing different looks than we will be in when the ball snaps. I would also look for a lot of man and exotic pressures. I don’t expect us to use a lot of zone, I think Burrow and His WRs can beat a zone pretty easily. Some timely zone fires with disguised pre snap alignment will be enough of a change up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 12:10 PM

Man, I haven't even had a chance to really crunch the film yet. Been crazy busy the last few weeks. Curious what some of the other football brains on here think (some of whom, frankly, are way better than me...keep in mind I'm just a former high school player-turned-USSF-soccer-coach-turned-superfan-turned-dad-of-a-recruit, I never played in college myself and I'm from the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust era.) Plenty of those guys on here and I'd love to get a good thread going.

FWIW, though, without really doing a deep dive into the film my first take is, it's going to be brutal. I dunno if Joe Burrow is the kind of guy you stop so much as just try to get a couple picks off of and limit just a bit - like we did with Lamar Jackson a couple years back the year he won the Heisman and came to the Valley with that loaded Louisville squad. And playing those guys in New Orleans...wow. That's a tough, tough, tough ask. You're talking an away game in the heart of Cajun Country...ouch, man.

We may not have played much of a regular season, but Oh My did the Football Gods back-load the playoffs for us. Insane level of competition. I said a few weeks back this year's playoff field was by a bunch the best ever and us, LSU, and OSU would all win it in any normal year.

We get through this playoff field, though, those are some truly epic tombstones to put out on the practice field. Maybe the best we've ever gotten. Other than maybe that Alabama team this past year, has Clemson ever faced - much less beaten - two squads as good as 2019 LSU and 2019 OSU? Maybe that FSU squad from the Puntrooskie game in '88...I can't really think of another.

Dec 31, 2019, 12:19 PM

Just my .02 cents.

It all starts from their slot receiver and they want to pass to middle of the field 90 percent of the time. You have to play tough man to man or they will take what you give them all day and with their athletes at wr sometimes breaking big plays off those. They scheme very well to create their best match up and attack.

Got to find a way to get them off their timing and spots or they will carve you up. I honestly don’t think their system is very complex but it is a great scheme, with a great qb throwing to exceptional athletes in space.

What I worry about is not having a strong pressure with base 3 or 4 man fronts, we generally bring exotics to create pressure and that may play well in their hands. Coach V has his hands full but I can’t wait to see what he comes up with.

We have to do a better job of getting home against Burrow

Dec 31, 2019, 12:37 PM

I suspect OSU OL is better than the Cajun OL also

Re: We have to do a better job of getting home against Burrow

Dec 31, 2019, 1:30 PM

The cajun line was voted # 1 in the country - for what that is worth.

Their team won about every award they could give them

Dec 31, 2019, 2:00 PM

For beating up the SEC like Bama did last year. I have to take it with a grain of salt.

I’m hoping we get more consistent pressure this time. OSU was very good at picking up blitz

Dec 31, 2019, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: QUOZZELLL!!!! ]

I agree with a lot of that. I never believed in coaches baiting opposing coaches with soft schemes until I saw the coots get 700 yds of offense and then watch us turn around and destroy 2 really good teams last year.

I can’t shake the feeling that we will see some exotic run schemes(as much as you can) and see ETN go off this game because of 1.) LSU has struggled at stopping the run, and 2.) We haven’t shown a ton of it the last few weeks. I know one way to slow down the LSU offense: KEEP THEM OFF THE FIELD.

I think we can score on them much easier than we did against the buckeyes, and LSU hasn’t really had to play from behind this year. I also believe the sec was extremely overrated this year, thus making LSU look unstoppable much like Bama last year. It’s hard to predict this game because the media has hyped LSU even more than they have Bama the past few years. I do believe LSU is a great team this year, but I also don’t think they have not been punched in the mouth either, and aren’t used to this stage like our guys are. We know what it takes, and I hope to see our best execution of the year.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 1:16 PM

Listen, LSU's offense is amazingly prolific. You are not going to stop them. but you can slow them down, make them grind, and stop them from scoring touchdowns.

In a way, our defense is very well equipped to stop them. We have an excellent back seven. We disguise our coverages pre-snap very well. And we can go 3 - 3 - 5 with extra corners to help cover their excellent wide receivers.

One of the keys will be to confuse Joe pre-snap. Another will be striking the proper balance between stopping the pas and the run. if we can stop their running back (runs and passes) in the 3 - 3, that will give us an big advantage.

I know we want to see BV blitz all over the place and get sacks, and that is all to the good, but this is not the D-Line we had last year - that could get to the QB before he found the secondary's weakness. This year we have to pick our spots - to surprise them with the blitzes and the coverage schemes.

This gets better in the redzone, where we don't have to worry about over the top. When all of our db's get packed into that 30 yard space, it get's pretty hairy to throw in there.

So don't be surprised if they go over 500 yards on us. Don't be worried when they get a couple of big plays on us. I WILL get worried if they score long TDs on us, because I am counting on our red zone defense to limit their points. That's where we will win the game.

Dec 31, 2019, 1:32 PM

No doubt this is a great LSU team, but much like I’m sure the 1 point win over UNC (I know, I know, we’re all sick of hearing of it) gives them some comfort against us (along with the SEC media hype), watching Florida struggle with UVA last night gave me some hope. They didn’t beat LSU but they sure gave them some fits defensively (along with Auburn). This is a great team but don’t for a second think we aren’t capable of handing them a loss. Especially after seeing this team’s resolve down 0-16 to tOSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: QUOZZELLL!!!! ]

No doubt this is a great LSU team, but much like I’m sure the 1 point win over UNC (I know, I know, we’re all sick of hearing of it) gives them some comfort against us (along with the SEC media hype), watching Florida struggle with UVA last night gave me some hope. They didn’t beat LSU but they sure gave them some fits defensively (along with Auburn). This is a great team but don’t for a second think we aren’t capable of handing them a loss. Especially after seeing this team’s resolve down 0-16 to tOSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic