Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions for gamblers from a non-gambler
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Questions for gamblers from a non-gambler

Jan 12, 2020, 8:52 AM

1) Do you bet on Clemson games?
2) Do you ever bet against us, straight up or spread? Surely not, I hope.
3) When you bet on us and win, does it make the win any sweeter? Does losing your bet make a loss worse?
4) Do you avoid betting on any events in which you have a rooting interest?
5) What happens when your heart wants one outcome, and your bet wants another?

I might make a straight up bet with an opposing fan for a meal or $5, but that’s about it. I have a hard time separating emotion from probability, so it makes no sense for me to link my wallet to my fandom.

That is especially true when it comes to the Tigers. I would never want to be in a position where I needed us to lose (or even not score in a particular situation) for me to win a bet. But by extension, this same idea would make it difficult for me to ever bet on any ACC or SEC events. I think it would just make sports less enjoyable for me to watch.

P.S. I am also a terrible poker player.

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're not good at Poker?

Jan 12, 2020, 8:57 AM

I have a Poker game at my house every other Tuesday. You're welcome to come. ;)

I don't bet on Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions for gamblers from a non-gambler

Jan 12, 2020, 9:03 AM

1. Yes. Often. Clemson has done great for me in football over the last few years.
2. I have bet against us only once before, back when Woody Danztler was qb. I knew our team was overrated, that Woody would get stuffed, and that FSU was stacked. We went into FSU 4 pt underdogs approx. I bet 2k on FSU. FSU won something like 48-7. It was just a blown line. The game was over immediately. Other than that I have never before or since.
3. Yes making money and the Tigers winning makes it even better.
4. No
5. As a gambler, I don't let my heart become a factor. I see sports objectively anyway. Thats what happens to gamblers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Carlsbad - Is there anyway for me to get down an online bet

Jan 12, 2020, 11:19 AM

at the +200 money line that is being reported in Biloxi ??

Jan 12, 2020, 9:10 AM

If you’re only betting $5 or a meal. Go for it. Slam Clemson..

Every year I place a future bet on Clemson to win it all. Often bet them in certain games, depending how the weekend is going and how I think the team will preform.

Against Ohio state I live bet them (I live in PA, so foxsports has a great betting app) but when we were down to start the game I live bet them to win... now I’m headed to Nola due to those winnings...

Go tigers!

Great Questions !

Jan 12, 2020, 9:21 AM

Responsible gambling (your $5 friendly bet) makes watching any sporting event more exciting. That should be the reason for betting. Beyond that it can get stressful/unhealthy.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes: I bet on Clemson games

2. No. I never bet against Clemson. But I don’t bet on every game either ;)

3. Yes: winning a bet when Clemson wins does make it sweeter...much sweeter ! If Clemson wins but doesn’t cover the spread, I just think of it as “insurance” money I paid for the win ;) If you bet on Clemson and they lose, and you lose your money, yes that sucks very much, but that’s gambling.. Set a limit and kiss the money goodbye when you place the bet, then enjoy the game !

4. No. See number 1 :)

5. There shouldn’t be a conflict if you share my perspective on sports betting.

Go Tigers!

Gotta find a bookie now thanks !

Re: Great Questions !

Jan 12, 2020, 9:24 AM

Oh and Clemson is HOT right now ...

I like those answers

Jan 12, 2020, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Great Questions ! ]

After 25 years in the banking industry, I am pretty risk averse. Bet only what you can afford to lose...that works.

Still a bit of an issue with pulling for my bet or pulling for my heart, but I guess you are saying pull with your heart, and if there is a conflict, at least one will be happy.

Thanks for the response!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2020, 9:35 AM

1) Yes
2) Once, in basketball while in college. A Clemson player told me they were practicing terribly. I took Wake Forest with Tim Duncan. Clemson upset them and I had to take out a cash advance on my credit card to pay. I deserved it. I have never bet against Clemson again.
3) YES. It was fun collecting on our upset of UNC yesterday. I also have that game parlayed with the National Championship. And I put $200 on us to win it all in the preseason every year for the past 5 years. It has paid well. Although none of my Heisman bets have paid. Lol
4) no
5) Then I don’t bet the side. I’ll typically take the over/under in this situation.

Jan 12, 2020, 11:41 AM

Is this you Dekle?

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic