Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"The Myth" known as Clowney.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,270

"The Myth" known as Clowney.

Jul 17, 2013, 12:32 PM

While there’s no doubt physically he’s a freak of nature, which alone could make him the #1 pick as GM’s rarely pass on someone with his blend of speed and size. However, in today’s world of overhype….JC is a myth! Take away the Clemson game last year and the so called “unstoppable force “, would’ve finished the season with 4 QB hurries and only 8.5 sacks. Not exactly eye popping when you’re talking about a Heisman candidate that’s being billed as the best player in the mighty SEC. I remember seeing him disappear for long stretches during games. He was nonexistent against LSU with 0 sacks, 0 hurries, and 0.5 TFL. It wasn’t just against good competition he could disappear as his combined stats of 1 sack, 2 hurries, and 4 TFL against Vandy, Arkansas and ECU reveals. The Michigan game that made him legend ha, try 0 sacks, 0 hurries, 2 TFL…..of course one of those TFL’s is the one where he jumped the snap count, went unblocked, and hit a 175lb. RB right as the ball hit his hands (the equivalent impact of nailing a guy calling for a fair catch).

He owned us last year and you can’t take that away from him. But if the likes of Vandy, Arkansas, and ECU can neutralize him then maybe the bulletin board material he just gave us should be a good start. Now that the personality of his Head Coach is rubbing off and JC is buying into his own press, 2013 could be a season of humble pie served in 13 slices.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Set. Point. Match.

Jul 17, 2013, 12:43 PM

He was non existent for most I the tennessee game as well.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, surprisingly the UT OT's did very well blocking him

Jul 17, 2013, 1:56 PM

1 on 1. Until the end of the game. UT was about to take the lead and doodoo stepped up and blew up the OT twice in a row.

In our game, we handled him very well the first half. Using smart playcalling we negated him. Then (rumor has it) he overheard our players walking off the field talking him down. Apparently he got really mad and then blew us up in the second half. I'm not sure if the talking part is true, it was all over the internet at half time and after the game, but he surely did play better the second half.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

James Hurst

Jul 17, 2013, 2:10 PM

James Hurst of UNC could be a first round draft pick this year. The heels will employ a similar quick passing game (like the cootson below gave Clowney a pass on). Watch the "Phenom" be non existent in this game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

UT's tackle owned him except for one play. That play sealed

Jul 17, 2013, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Set. Point. Match. ]

the game for the coots. It was an ugly irony for UT.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clowney is lazy.

Jul 17, 2013, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Set. Point. Match. ]

But when he chooses to be, he's a freak.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Could not agree more. Great post!***

Jul 17, 2013, 12:48 PM

A-FREAKING-MEN

Jul 17, 2013, 1:09 PM

Every time someone mentions "the hit" and I point out that even the OBS wasn't that impressed by it (along with the leading with the head, O-line blowing coverage and jumping the snap) they start saying I'm jealous. Um, nope. Because we've had a couple ends in the last few years tally more stats than his "impressive" resume. I mean, just because he holds a school record doesn't mean squat when it wasn't a high bar to begin with!

Re: "The Myth" known as Clowney.

Jul 17, 2013, 1:13 PM

Not to mention his 2 trash time sacks against us, when the game was outta hand and the last play of the game. I would say our play calling killed us more than him.

Two of his sacks on Tajh were after others had pressured

Jul 17, 2013, 2:39 PM

him and Tajh ran into Clowney on a scramble.

2 were legit toasted the tackle and got to the qb. We left our tackle 1 on 1 a few times in the 2nd half which made no sense, we didn't do that in the 1st half as I recall when re-watching the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Facts will only confuse them....

Jul 17, 2013, 1:13 PM

or will be ignored or completely dismissed as anti-Pee #### rhetoric.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I'm thinking Vic Beasley had a better sacks per plays rate.

Jul 17, 2013, 1:17 PM

If Vic can hold on to the starting spot he may just surpass Clowney's numbers.

Point for you.

Jul 17, 2013, 1:47 PM

I'm so glad Clown boy opened his mouth.

He's got everyone aiming straight for him now.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jul 17, 2013, 2:00 PM

ECU runs a quick throw offense. They were one of the leaders in not allowing sacks just because they get the ball out quickly.

That game isn't really indicative of Clowney's abilities.

Translation....

Jul 17, 2013, 2:14 PM

Let's single out only those game where he played well in order to fuel the hype machine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Translation....

Jul 17, 2013, 2:23 PM

Notice I didn't exclude the other two games listed. ECU is an outlier because the offense they run doesn't really allow for anybody to get to the QB.

Re: Re: Translation....

Jul 17, 2013, 2:33 PM

Your DBs allow the DL to "get to the quarterback " .
Idiots make excuses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

QB's and O-Linemen that underestimate Clowney....

Jul 17, 2013, 2:15 PM

...do so at the risk of ending up as a six month SportsCenter highlight.

If you want to underestimate Clowney as a player, you have that luxury as a fan.

For opposing players, you better know where he's lined up at all times, lest you get posterized.

Blah blah blah.

Jul 17, 2013, 2:16 PM

You missed the point maggot.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I hope Murray checks down to

Jul 17, 2013, 2:38 PM

pulling guards, toss sweeps, quick pitches...whatever..on every play...straight at #7 ....especially with the Ga O line.

Our O line made #7 look better than he is.....Similiar to the hit heard round the world in the SCjr/Michigan game where the Clown wasn't touched by any O lineman.... I could have made that play.

Re: I hope Murray checks down to

Jul 17, 2013, 7:03 PM

Personally, I'm more worried about Georgia than SC at this time.

My grandmother could have made it too.***

Jul 17, 2013, 7:06 PM [ in reply to I hope Murray checks down to ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2013, 7:20 PM

Comeon guys - There's never been more scrutiny on the sport and many believe he could be the first defensive Heisman winner since 1997. I think they can look beyond "the hit" in determining this...In our game, he forced the inception that swung the game. Spurrier put it best - he's disruptive. He'll likely be the first pick in next year's draft. I'll be glad when he's gone and would be elated if we could get the win this year and send him out on that note.

Just run the #### ball right at him consistently. Bully...

Jul 17, 2013, 7:31 PM

his ### and he ain't all that. See LSU game last year. We were doing some of that in first half last year, but for some reason stopped???

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,270
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic