Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You know how people always say we can't get a coach?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

You know how people always say we can't get a coach?

Mar 11, 2017, 4:28 PM

Chris Collins went to Northwestern and that program has way worse history than we have ever have, They have had a really solid year for such a horrid program in the Big 10. Moreover he is a good coach. Avery Johnson went to Bama and he is turning them around. Now I am fine with CNN coming back next year and I hope he does great and is the coach for 10 years more if he turns the corner and does well. I am pulling for him. I am just pointing out that there are plenty of proteges and other quality coaches ready for their chances out there. People that act like nobody would want to coach at Clemson are kidding themselves. I am all behind CBB. Just pointing the fallacy of the other issue.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Big10 is also carp this year...CU would be top 3

Mar 11, 2017, 4:39 PM

In that conference...

Well we have a good team. We would do great in most..

Mar 11, 2017, 4:46 PM

conferences. We would have battled Gonzaga for the title in West Coast Conference.We are underrated and just couldn't win the close games.

Lord have mercy.... Northwestern has as much cache

Mar 11, 2017, 5:25 PM

as any school can have relative Clemson....

1. B1G is 2nd only to ACC as conferences go.

2. B1G education - in particular Northwestern - is better than anything in ACC except possibly UVA.

3. University is private wth significant research and medical monies.

4. Based near Chicago with campus in that city.

And Chicago, with or without the culture and population, is a significantly richer recruiting area than East Georgia.

5. School will NEVER be a huge football presence because of the investment necessary for that sport, the lack of a rich recruiting local area for football, and the significant presence of Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame as competition in football.

In short, people KNOW where Northwestern is and that's without a real football program. And those are meaningful people, not Elma and Ted sitting in the den wondering why the Dish is out again.

That a Duke grad - and the one most entirely likely to replace Coach K when he leaves - is coaching there, makes incredibly much more sense than ever having a Duke grad coach at Clemson.

Northwestern has been awful forever.

Mar 11, 2017, 5:31 PM

Chris Collins is doing a great job turning that around. My Dad went to Northwestern. They have a better football history than they do hoops and that isn't saying much.

Awful as in being the only power five team

Mar 11, 2017, 5:32 PM

never to make the tourney? Until this season.

Yeah exactly*****

Mar 11, 2017, 5:42 PM

The we can't get a coach is the biggest loser

Mar 11, 2017, 5:51 PM

mentality there is, and exactly why we are what we are

Re:Maybe, we don't have the right man doing the hiring.***

Mar 11, 2017, 8:49 PM

DRad hasn't had to many hires

Mar 11, 2017, 9:42 PM

Lee looks good. Jury still out on Audra Smith. Soccer coach is doing well. Terry Don hired Brad, DRad just gave the bad extension. If/when it comes down to it, men's basketball will be the hire that defines his tenure here

the point was that there is SOMETHING to build cache around

Mar 12, 2017, 11:17 AM

at Northwestern U

in the current NCAA basketball landscape -

something to build Brand around that would attract typical college basketball players -

City, Conference, local NBA, Journalism/Med/Tech school, no football program competition, etc.

The comparison there is essentially Stanford and football -

what exactly does Stanford have that competes with UCLA and USC, or even Oregon, in football?

They have a little history, but it isn't much, so they accentuate

those things that attract smart young men whose goal may never be the NFL.

Building a Brand in College Basketball is the same as building a Brand in Potato Chips.

But I doubt Clemson could even sell chips with it's current Basketball Brand.....

Therefore we should get Charles Barkley as our Coach

Mar 11, 2017, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Lord have mercy.... Northwestern has as much cache ]

I am serious. I pity the fool who thinks Sir Charles would not be a great coach and recruiter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He would never want it. He makes 1.5 million now....

Mar 11, 2017, 10:02 PM

with a way easier life.

are you aware that northwestern has NEVER

Mar 11, 2017, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Lord have mercy.... Northwestern has as much cache ]

Made the tournament before this year?

prior success is not the only thing, or even the Major thing

Mar 12, 2017, 11:22 AM

that NCAA basketball Brand can be built on.....

and this shows how sports fans are way too limited in their thinking.

NCAA basketball is hugely cultural in that it takes a lot of cues from the NBA,

probably more so even than the NFL dictates trends to College Football.

it's not purely racist, nor does it even have to be about race,

but there is a race cultural component

that only a very few programs can or do avoid.

but young kids are young kids, generally no matter what race,

and in building a Brand at Clemson we need to find things that appeal to young BBall players.

it's going to be very hard....

Re: Lord have mercy.... Northwestern has as much cache

Mar 12, 2017, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Lord have mercy.... Northwestern has as much cache ]

So you saying Northwestern education is better than Ga. Tech, Duke, Miami and Notre Dame?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we can get one, we just can't keep one

Mar 12, 2017, 9:02 AM

a hot up-and-comer might come here but he'd have 2 or 3 good years and move on to a school where basketball is king. nobody is gonna want to spend their career playing 2nd fiddle to the football team. people get mad at me for saying that but we're never gonna have what some people want in basketball. that's not even me being negative, it's just reality. we'll never be duke or unc in football just like they'll never be clemson in football

I think one would want to spend a career second fiddle.

Mar 12, 2017, 9:26 AM

It happens at other places. Football is always king in this country. I agree though that we would have to put a lot more resources towards the program to keep them around.

Re: You know how people always say we can't get a coach?

Mar 12, 2017, 9:07 AM

Those same people said the same thing about football under Bowden and there was a better coach ON HIS STAFF. They said the same thing about baseball and look how Lee has energized that program. It's just another excuse.

Re: You know how people always say we can't get a coach?

Mar 12, 2017, 9:21 AM

^^^^Agree with you Daniel. A we "can't" attitude spells failure every time. We can be the the best with the best coach and best fans. It's a matter of embracing the fact that we "can" and we will be the best at basketball ?? period!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic