Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Preseason rankings question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,166

Preseason rankings question

Aug 1, 2019, 3:53 PM

IMO there should be no speculation of who would be number one in the preseason. Clemson won the natty and until proven otherwise they should be number one. Same should have been done the following year after we won our last natty 2 years ago. I could also say the same for any team that was the previous years champ. If a team reached the highest point and won the championship then that team is number one until somebody comes and takes it from them no matter if you loose half your team or qb to the draft or graduation. Number 1 sounds great. Can't wait for the season to start.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Preseason rankings question

Aug 1, 2019, 4:12 PM

In a vacuum you are correct but not the way it looks. Factors like player losses / expected player development and schedule comes into play.

With all that said ... Clemson will be ranked #1 in most polls (that count) sometimes opinions that are emotionally motivated come into play and that’s when it gets messy!!!

Aug 1, 2019, 4:21 PM

Yea but these are preseason polls. Regardless if a team looses a majority of there starters nobody knows how these season is going to pan out for the most part. Only guarantee is Clemson will be back in the playoffs.

Preseason polls are intended to be predictive

Aug 1, 2019, 4:27 PM

You don’t get rewarded by what you did last year they’re suppose to be an indication of what’s expected in the coming year.

Aug 1, 2019, 4:15 PM

I still think preseason rankings are nuts. Not one snap has been made in all of college football. IMHO, the rankings should begin in October, when we've been able to evaluate this year's teams after 4-5 games. That's why the playoff committee makes sense. They don't divulge any rankings until, what, mid-October? As Dabo always says, last year means nothing now. Why give certain teams head starts in the rankings, while others are buried at number 42?

Aug 1, 2019, 4:21 PM

Like the Lamecocks. Just sayin...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Aug 1, 2019, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Preseason rankings question ]

Thank god we aren't ranked pre-season number one, which amounts to a curse. We start genuflecting before some "ranking" and that's a perfect prescription for getting beat. I wish every team we play this season would be ranked number one. Rat poison!!

Aug 1, 2019, 4:37 PM

Why not simply have every team at the same starting point? Isn't that how any race is run?

Aug 1, 2019, 5:11 PM

Like it or not, college football is about money. And the pre-season rankings keep people interested in the upcoming season.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Yeah. I think there's a place for how last year's final poll

Aug 1, 2019, 5:51 PM

would be the official poll heading in and not updated until after Week 1 at least. Sure there's turnover and wild fluctuations from season to season for many, but it would be an improvement on an official poll (AP, Coaches) that places values on teams with no activity to date over the most recent stretch of results. Strength of schedule metrics are based on polling status and CFP committee analysis, and that shouldn't be corrupted as it is with these pre-sesaon guessworks over actual results. Even one week's worth would be a big improvement - still a lot of change but truer to fact.

It's cool seeing us on top of them either way though. Not too bad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah. I think there's a place for how last year's final poll

Aug 1, 2019, 5:57 PM

The only poll that rea;;y matters does start in October.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,166
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic