Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Position Improvements 2017
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,008

Position Improvements 2017

Mar 5, 2017, 9:35 AM

Wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thinks regarding the 2017 football team

What positions do you think will be improved from last years team? What positions may be worse?

Personally I could see LB being a slight improvement just from a pure talent standpoint. I could also see the DL being a tick better just with more experience and Wilkins moving back inside to his natural position

Obviously we will probably see a decline in production at QB and probably RB although RB is kind of a question mark

What say you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Position Improvements 2017

Mar 5, 2017, 9:55 AM

LB's should be improved but my only concern is the leadership that BB had.

OL should be better if the center J.F. can make the right calls on blocking assignments.

WR should be fine even without the loss of Williams and Leggett.

OB's are unproven but have talent.

DL will be the strength of the defense

DB's should be good

RB's will be fine providing they can pass block because this is big considering new QB?

Backwards Positions are Easier to Pick

Mar 5, 2017, 10:56 AM

QB - Duh. Even if any of the contenders hits it out of the park, it will be a step back. I think that the reason most people fall in love with the new recruits before they even hit campus is because they know, or think they know the ceiling of the guys who are already playing. Johnson or Brice seem to be the only ones who can get anywhere in the ball park of the quality play at QB we had last season.

With virtually every other position it's tough to call. At DL, I think the overall unit will be better. DE might be better, but moving Wilkins back inside takes a 1st round draft pick out of the DE rotation. That said, I think both DE and DT/NG take a step forward. Great guys coming into the program or off redshirts (more of the latter). Hopefully, Bryant will be back at full strength.

LB is a tough call. BB was always so prepared. He was calling out the offense's plays for the rest of the defense. His intensity will be tough to match even though I think both last year's 5* recruits will take major steps forward, a la Anthony and Steward. Joseph will be solid, but he was last year as well.

It's tough to say that the secondary will be better losing Johnson and Tank. I think they'll be okay, but not better than last year.

On offense, RB could be better, but Gallman was great with the ball in his hands, in passing routes and in pass protection. Maybe Feaster gives us that homerun threat we have been lacking and he's great out of the backfield. Can he protect the passer?

WR could be improved, but no one in their right mind can predict that right now. We lost the best receiver in college football, a great slot guy who also returned kicks, but we have awsome talent coming back and joining the program. Maybe Cain can take that step forward. I know he can. Maybe he will.

OL stands the best chance of improving of any position group on offense. Losing your center, however, is like losing your QB. His improvement was a major factor in this group gelling the last couple of years and we will feel it.

BTW, TE is the other position that is so easy to predict a step back. We do not have anyone ready to become Shockey or Legett.

Re: Position Improvements 2017

Mar 5, 2017, 9:56 AM

On defence, I think we improve at DE, but maybe not at DT when you consider depth. Losing Pagano and Watkins has to hurt. I know Huggins and Pinkney are both very talented, but both have little to no experience. The starters will be an improvement though. We definitely improve at LB, but we do lose a ton in the leadership aspect here. DB's will improve. Tank is a big loss, but Mullen is going to help fill that position. Safety is a question mark. Johnson played really well for us last year. This will be an interesting position to watch.

On offense, of course QB is the biggest question mark. I don't think it's a concern because I think we have the talent to keep up playing at a high level. RB has to be considered a downgrade until we see how Feaster pans out. Fuller is good, but Feaster needs to step up to be the next big star. WR will be better overall. We have 3 5* players in this group, and a ton of size, speed, and versatility. TE will be interesting. Pass catching ability will downgrade, but blocking and physicality will be much improved. Oline is going to be interesting. The center is a very important piece, and I don't think we have anyone to fill JayG's shoes.

First, you must understand that because of the way

Mar 5, 2017, 9:57 AM

our fan base is you are committing TD servitude by speaking of our leaving hero's. However I think we will have improve in every position with the exception of QB......and that will come with time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

I think we will be better at every position other than...

Mar 5, 2017, 10:07 AM

QB, TE, and RB.

I would say OL. We only lost a C off of the OL

Mar 5, 2017, 11:01 AM

that won the championship. We also return depth behind the starters.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the LBs can cover TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield

Mar 5, 2017, 11:10 AM

that would be an improvement. We seem to have
been a little vulnerable on slants and short
routes over the middle the last couple of years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,008
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic