Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our fan reaction today is not because we are spoiled. I
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Our fan reaction today is not because we are spoiled. I

Oct 24, 2020, 11:47 PM

feel like my reaction comes from the tremendous pressure of being in contention for the national title. I feel lke the fact that Bama, even if they have to start a new quarterback that has never started a season, just never skips a beat. Add to the fact that we are number one and in hopes of having a Heisman winner, and there is just no margin for even looking a little off.

I am not spoiled. I know that these are the best times ever to be a Clemson fan. I knew coming in that this team would have issues at receiver and offensive line. But here we are at number 1 and just natural to feel that if Bama would turn out to just be a little off their game with a new qb, then maybe we win another natty, or a Heisman. And while I have doubts that we can top Bama or Ohio State, as long as we're unbeaten and number one, then the pressure is there. There's also a certian amount of pressure knowing this is Trevor's last season.

I think we all know better than to expect to be #1 or #2 every year. But while we still have a shot, the pressure makes the way I view a game seem really sick. Any win used to be a happy day. Now it seems I'm constantly comparing the team's every play to Bama or Ohio State, and it doesn't leave much room for enjoyment. And on a day like today, when a certain amount of handwriting on the wall appears, it is hard. And that's on me, not the team. If I can't enjoy this run that we've been on since 2011, then I need a new hobby. But I think a lot of fans have gotten to be this way. Not spoiled, just pressured by the level of what's at stake.

We have great players and a great program and that will not change whether we make the playoff or not, but this kind of pressure is what comes with being a contender. The grading scale is tough. I appreciate all of the hard work of the team, the youth of the team and all of that.

Bottom line, I don't think our fans are spoiled, I think we are all just caught up in it at a very high level and we just freak out at any signs that indicate the possibility of not making the playoff, or even the possibility of not winning it all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair enough

Oct 24, 2020, 11:54 PM

Though I think this part is a symptom of us being spoiled:
"we are all just caught up in it at a very high level and we just freak out at any signs that indicate the possibility of not making the playoff, or even the possibility of not winning it all"

I'm not throwing stones here, I have to battle the same attitude, but what I try to do is remind myself this all supposed to be fun for us. This is entertainment. This, at the end of the day, is a diversion from real life for a few hours (or for some of us, and entire Saturday). And this will pass just like the lean years did. One day, hopefully far away, we'll be fighting for bowl contention (or worse), so I try to remind myself to enjoy this.

And I think the "We're spoiled" comments don't come based on folks commenting on performance, but rather the "we're screwed", "they want it more than us", "poor effort" kind of comments.

We didn't look sharp today. It happens. We, as fans, get to discuss that, but we must remember to enjoy these wins and this streak we're on, or else, honestly, whats the point?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our fan reaction today is not because we are spoiled. I

Oct 25, 2020, 12:17 AM

I appreciate your thoughts.

You have become a fan's version of Nick Saban. He has raised the standard for expectations. The wonderful aspect is that you can see how truly remarkable Dabo is, because he doesn't.

Dabo does not forget that each team must develop its own motivation, its own resolve, its own accountability. He could yell all day about "Your fans expect championships!" but that's not Dabo's way. Dabo makes sure that he stays in touch with the Dino Babers, Dave Clawsons, Mack Browns and Dave Cutcliffes of the world, because he wants to stay real and humble and thankful. He works his butt off, not to create a false sense of superiority, but to teach and encourage the 2- or 3-star guys to challenge and beat the 5-star guys by developing their skills and their own internal motivation.

Last week we were laser-focused after Miami tried to push us around. This week, no focus. We can't play Miami every other game in order to gain focus, so we need some players to help us focus internally. Trevor has great skills, and a great head, but he needs some spark sometimes.

Deshaun had it. Trevor is getting it, but he's still not there yet. Trevor needs to develop that fire he had when he spiked the football, just without spiking the football.

The Bamas and Ohio St type programs are not trying to build humble winners like Dabo. They are just raising the normal "winning through pride" motivation to an even higher level. Dabo could coach that way, too, and be extremely successful, but it would not help his players be successful in life.

Oct 25, 2020, 2:56 AM

Any reaction I have is not because I am spoiled, or from the pressure of being in contention for a national title ,or Bama skipping a beat.
No my reaction comes from the idiots on here who refuse to look at today's opponent as the only thing that matters, but instead seem to focus on will be be #1 or #2 in the playoff's ,or what we will do to Notre Dame in 3 weeks, or which player ,Trevor, or Etienne will win the Heisman.
Two weeks ago, we were applauding Trevor for his 200+ completions without an interception. Then he threw one. Yesterday he threw a pick six .I'm certain the Heisman voters took note of that, in case anybody on TigerNet wonders.
Folks, we are good, but Bama or OSU would have eaten our cake yesterday.
Ask yourself ,did this team look like the # 1 team in the country yesterday .Yes, I know Syracuse always gives us it's best shot, but this was the same team that lost to Liberty last weekend for crying out loud.
And please don't talk to me about pressure. Look what Bama is doing to far better competition than we have faced this year.
Call it being spoiled if you like, or being complacent. Two years ago Clemson played one of it' best game ever in defeating Bama for the National Championship.
I have not seen that kind of performance since that game. Have any of you?
Thankfully our defense pulled it out yesterday or we might not even seen the CFP's ,let alone winning it all. But the playoff's aren't next week, nor is Notre Dame .Boston College is. And I don't need any more grey hairs.

P.S.Dabo focus is on the game at hand .Maybe it's time some folks on here do likewise.

Good point about fans needing to focus on the opponent

Oct 25, 2020, 1:41 PM

we are playing today and not thinking down the road. I am a really uptight fan. I never ever underestimate an opponent's ability to pull an upset. I always worry about the worst case scenario. But this past week leading up to the game, I didn't give Syracuse an ounce of respect. I believed a 46 point spread was being kind to Syracuse and refused to let myself worry before the game like I normally do. But let me tell you, when it was 27-21 and Syracuse had the ball trialing by only six on two separate possesions, they had my focus. I was really upset with myself for not giving them the respect leading up to the game, but it was too late at that point.

Some good points Leftie

Oct 25, 2020, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Our fan reaction today is not because we are spoiled. I ]

At the end of the day, Clemson just takes a few games off every season. Usually against really bad competition or coaches that Dabo Swinney likes. Clemson gets up for the games that count. That's a fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The whole ‘Bama or OSU would have beaten us yesterday’ is a poor assumption....

Oct 25, 2020, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Our fan reaction today is not because we are spoiled. I ]

Would you have said the same in reverse 2 weeks ago while we were burying Miami and Bama couldn’t get rid of a terrible Ole Miss team? Had we played either team you mentioned yesterday, we would have played better. We are also not Tennessee or Nebraska, and this is not the 90s when those teams had a pulse.

The team has to play one game at a time. Playoffs are determined by performance over a season.

All the doom and gloom is ridiculous

A few years ago, some close friends said the difference

Oct 25, 2020, 5:10 AM

between Clemson and Gamecock fans is Clemson fans go to ballgames expecting to win; Gamecock fans go to games hoping to win.

Alabama fans expect to win, because they are used to winning, as well as competing for conference and national titles. Hence, why a program like Bama is usually in the discussions every year, because its fans aren't going to put up with substandard performances. They may be down a short while, but then they're going to go hire a Nick Saban to right the ship...in a hurry.

We're slowly becoming like Bama...we expect to win, despise hiccups and are ready to see heads roll when our performances are subpar. Why? Because of our intense love for and dedication to Clemson. And that's not such a bad thing, for the administration and athletic officials and staffs understand it, which in my opinion keeps them on their toes.

Perhaps, it's my age that causes me to remain a little more circumspect; yet, during games the old adrenaline erupts, and I find myself yelling, swearing, and jumping up and down like a Mexican jumping bean. I fire and rehire coaches on the spot, all the while screaming out play calls. If the game gets a little too close, my rage boils over. But win or lose, afterwards I think, "D@mn, I think I'm 18 again, acting like an idiot!" And it's fun!

The one thing I try to do is keep all that play acting off Tigernet, so my good friends here won't think I've lost my mind...especially at my advanced age where some folks might wonder if I even have a mind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A few years ago, some close friends said the difference

Oct 25, 2020, 6:48 AM

Sounds like you have a good perspective. It’s supposed to be fun for fans. Period!! Nothing wrong with screaming at the tv of in the stands but when it’s over let it go. It becomes the religion and personal identity of some people. ( I’m taking fans in general, not specific to Clemson or any other). You see them at the grocery store in team colors, working in the yard, out to dinner, etc. For crying out loud some come to church wearing team colors!! My church has one entire family that wears nothing but team colors to church all year!! Good grief give it a rest. No wonder they take a loss of underperformance so hard.

Maybe that church family think football and

Oct 25, 2020, 9:29 AM

religion go hand-in-hand.

During the game we might need a Hail Mary to win, and if successful, the crowd yells, "Thank God!"

Fans often call for opponents to "Go to He1l," while some clasp their hands, bow their heads, and pray, "Dear God, if you let us win this one, I'll be good all next week.......until our next game!"

Me, I tend toward thinking that the Good Lord typically has more urgent matters at hand and opts out of football games, although you have to wonder sometimes when a fortuitous fumble or interception or referee call goes your way!

Or Maybe A Lot of People Just Need to Get a Real Life

Oct 25, 2020, 6:54 AM

The Tigers are awesome, but it's just a #### game.

Very true statement about just a game. The thing is everyone

Oct 25, 2020, 1:30 PM

on here has a real life, but sometimes, most of the time, those lives have real pressures and stress. As Tiger Thom said, this is supposed to be an escape or diversion from that type of stress. Sadly, it ends up being an added stress or more of a stress. And that is when we need to check ourselves. And I'm speaking of myself at the front of the line that needs to check himself.

For what it’s worth I TU’ed this and those in reply as

Oct 25, 2020, 7:33 AM

they’re all valid points, and I feel/think the same way. I must also add that Dabo is the one that sets these (our) expectations. “Best Is The Standard” right? I love Dabo. I love ‘my’ Tigers. But nobody is perfect. Not him. Not our team. Nor us fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 25, 2020, 8:11 AM

I think some spend too much time looking at other big time teams. We win and we are in the playoffs. Then is the time to look at those other teams. Watching those other teams does nothing but increase your anxiety for no reason. We control what we control don't waste time listening to talking heads and worrying about others. Then it is much more joyful to watch our tigers

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I need to remember this***

Oct 25, 2020, 1:56 PM

Oct 25, 2020, 9:00 AM

“I feel lke the fact that Bama, even if they have to start a new quarterback that has never started a season, just never skips a beat. “

You mean like our true freshman that never started a game and won a national championship and finished with the best record in college football history.

You mean like that???

Cmon people....??

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 9:28 AM

Dabo treats our players like 18-22 year olds. He knows everything about them football wise and personally. He does not treat them like machines.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Oct 25, 2020, 9:47 AM

Not being able to recognize you are spoiled is a normal trait for a spoiled fan base.

I think some fans either lost or being relatively new

Oct 25, 2020, 10:06 AM

Fans, never have had perspective necessary to understand just how #### awesome, rare and fleeting of a situation we are in. Yesterday’s game was frustrating to watch, but what Is even more frustrating to me are some of the asinine criticisms of our players and coaches that appear on this board at the first sign of imperfection.

I totally understand what you are describing, and I get caught up in it too, just would encourage you to try to keep some perspective and don’t fall in the trap of becoming one of the miserable fans that spew negativity on this board and can’t enjoy the rare air we occupy.

I don’t know how long Tiger dominance will last, but I am fairly sure that negativity amongst the fan base will not be the reason it continues.

Dd you watch Miss St and Bama?

Oct 25, 2020, 10:54 AM

Never skip a beat??

Re: Dd you watch Miss St and Bama?

Oct 25, 2020, 2:02 PM

It was Ole Miss but yea good point. Saban’s defense is really in year 3 of missing a lot of beats. Nothing like the consistent dominance his Ds used to have.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic