Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Open letter to Cam Newton
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Open letter to Cam Newton

Feb 10, 2016, 9:46 AM

Dear Cam,

Back in the late 1990s I started watching Panthers football. I voluntarily chose to support the Panthers. I am a Spartanburg native and enjoyed attending training camp at Wofford as a child. Being a Panthers fan is pretty tough. It is not nearly as bad as being a Jaguars fan, but there have been some painful seasons to suffer through over the years (1-15), (2-14), etc.

By the grace of God and good defense, the Panthers made the super bowl in 2003 on the back of one of the most mediocre quarterbacks to ever play in the NFL. I vowed the Panthers would get back. I soon discovered that Jake Delhomme would never lead the Panthers to any success again.

Fast forward through a couple of years of horrible drafting decisions and the actual belief that Jimmy Clausen could be an NFL quarterback, the Panthers hit rock bottom. That was pretty tough for a team that already demonstrated that it could fall pretty far.

This is where you enter, Mr. Newton. I first watched you play a Thurs. night college game against Miss. St. in September of 2010. You engineered a comeback in a game that you should have lost. A week later, you did the same thing against my Clemson tigers. You managed to find success week after week and squeezed out an undefeated record. My tigers never recovered from that September game.

I saw you make mind-blowing plays in 2010. But I could not stand you for it. I could not stand your smugness and swagger. I couldn't stand you because you were "too good." I then couldn't stand you more when the allegations surfaced that you were paid to go to Auburn. I couldn't stand you after the blame went against your dad for shopping you around and you were ruled eligible just in the nick of time for the national championship. I couldn't stand you when the Panthers drafted you.

I decided to give you a second chance, a "clean slate." My devotion to the Panthers would surely trump any personal animus against any one player. When you first started out in the league, you were humbled on the field. The Panthers still were not a good team, but you were an excellent quarterback... one of the most gifted players in the history of the league. I started to forget about all of those old feelings.

I began to give you the benefit of the doubt. Even when you were belligerent with the media, when your on field antics drew questions, and when it looked like success was going to your head. This season was filled with your polarizing behavior en route to an MVP campaign. I am happy for you and the work you have accomplished, but after your Super Bowl antics, I have no respect for you as a sportsman. For someone who works as hard as you do and does so much for the community, you set a bad example for the millions of young kids who watch you.

All of those prior feelings I had about you have resurfaced. I now will cheer for my panthers despite your presence on this team. Thank you for making me feel embarrassed that I pull for the panthers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cam...

Feb 10, 2016, 9:55 AM

Walked away before making it to the second paragraph

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cam...

Feb 10, 2016, 1:14 PM

He handled his recruiting with class and dignity, however

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Open letter to Cam Newton

Feb 10, 2016, 9:55 AM

How can you call yourself a fan of the Panthers if you don't like your star MVP QB who just led your team to 2 losses and their first super bowl in like 10 years? Those same kids you say he set a bad example for love them some Cam Newton. Quit crying and complaining because how HE acted after the super bowl, it bothered you that much to Start hating the guy?

Feb 10, 2016, 11:48 AM

I like players based on their character, ability, and their morals. I do not like or dislike a player simply because of what team he plays on. I liked Marcus Lattimore, despite the fact I wanted the Coots to lose every game in which he played.

And Cam says......

Feb 10, 2016, 9:56 AM

Ok.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2016, 9:59 AM

I'm sure cam gets on tnet

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 10, 2016, 10:00 AM

He did it to get TUs

I'm going out on a limb to suggest that Cam ain't on Tnet***

Feb 10, 2016, 10:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what?? homme was the ####!

Feb 10, 2016, 10:08 AM

How can you not like a guy that gets his pants ripped open , exposing his a$$ cheek of national Tv ? Then gets his pants duck taped so he could finish the half. Plus the phone commercials were hilarious.
GO TIGERS !!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sigh.... here we go again with this BS..

Feb 10, 2016, 10:29 AM

Could cam handled his post game media session better?.. probably

But really what do you want to do huh?... Dabb on em?, do the superman pose?, smile from ear to ear?....
He just lost the biggest game of his career, and every body still nitpick at everything CN1 does.....

If you're that embrassed that much, here's a simple solution.....

CHEER FOR ANOTHER TEAM!!!!!

We don't need you!!!!!!!!!!

GO TIGERS!!
GO PANTHERS!!!!!!
KEEP POUNDING!!!!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do you not have any pause about saying: "we" don't need you?

Feb 10, 2016, 10:32 AM

Do you really feel 100% okay to stand behind Cam. Just compare if DW acted like that after the Natty. My panthers fandom pales in comparison to Clemson but still.

Re: do you not have any pause about saying: "we" don't need you?

Feb 10, 2016, 10:39 AM

Why did you post this on tigernet?

I think the Amphitheatre is an appropriate forum to discuss

Feb 10, 2016, 10:43 AM

this topic among many Clemson/panthers fans.

Not really. The Amphitheatre is for

Feb 10, 2016, 11:22 AM

"non-sports Clemson-related topics". Like the quality of grass on campus, for example.

This post is kind of the opposite of that. It's sport-related, but NOT Clemson-related.

it is tangentially related... I referenced Clemson

Feb 10, 2016, 11:33 AM

Although I see that this thread fell upon the tired eyes of the T-Netters who are sick of reading about Cam. For that, I apologize.

Feb 10, 2016, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: do you not have any pause about saying: "we" don't need you? ]

> Why did you post this on tigernet?

Thank you. ....

Feb 10, 2016, 4:41 PM [ in reply to do you not have any pause about saying: "we" don't need you? ]

> Do you really feel 100% okay to stand behind Cam.
> Just compare if DW acted like that after the Natty.
> My panthers fandom pales in comparison to Clemson but
> still.
Yes I do.....

Can't wait to read the letter after he wins a Super Bowl.

Feb 10, 2016, 10:39 AM

Deer Cam, I take it all back! You da man!

I do not has the battered wimmins syndrome... I will

Feb 10, 2016, 10:44 AM

NEVER take him back... probably.

Battered Woman Syndrome?

Feb 10, 2016, 10:52 AM

THis is about Cam not Manziel.

And note, I am not in the slightest making light of that drunk punk's behavior.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tl;dr

Feb 10, 2016, 12:42 PM

Also, if you want to communicate with him, try using smaller words. hth.

Feb 10, 2016, 12:59 PM

I find it hilarious when Clemson fans hold the Auburn allegations against him considering our golden era was tied up in recruiting violations....

Smdh.....

two points on rebuttal:

Feb 10, 2016, 1:08 PM

1. Our "golden" era as you put it was preceded by violations.

2. Our actual "golden" era is now. And we run a clean program.

Re: two points on rebuttal:

Feb 10, 2016, 3:03 PM

I think it will be eventually but until we win it all the golden era was the 80's and there were violations later on in the decade when we were still a dominant program.

1. You are a ridiculous troll. 2. Not once have I ever

Feb 10, 2016, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Open letter to Cam Newton ]

heard Dabo & Co's name mentioned in ANY kind of improprieties regarding anything having to do with running our program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: 1. You are a ridiculous troll. 2. Not once have I ever

Feb 10, 2016, 3:01 PM

I was referring to the era in which we won a national title but I'm pretty sure you knew that.....

Feb 10, 2016, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Open letter to Cam Newton ]

Everybody we played against at that time was doing the same things we were.

You're probably one of the same dipsh!ts that got butthurt over

Feb 10, 2016, 1:27 PM

Deshaun looking up to cam newton. I like Peyton manning too but are we just going to disregard the HGH, ditching his teammates after winning the super bowl and the shameless plugs at the end of the game? Peyton manning got in a little bit of trouble in college too if you don't remember.

It's embarrassing to think we have mental midgets like this walking around in Clemson shirts.

I have no problem with Deshaun looking up to Cam...

Feb 10, 2016, 1:34 PM

I just think based upon both Deshaun's and Cam's conduct after losing championships, their roles should be reversed. Cam looked like a child and Deshaun looked like a mature player who demonstrated sportsmanship.

As for your assertion that I am a "mental midget" I don't really know how to respond to such a naked, baseless assertion.

he has never been belligerent with the media...

Feb 10, 2016, 1:30 PM

And TD celebrations aren't antics. Never got a personal foul for taunting. Get over yourself. Cam ain't gonna change just because you and some others don't like certain groups of people. And why post this ish here, Cam ain't gonna see it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Antics: ripping down the Packers banner... Belligerent:

Feb 10, 2016, 1:37 PM

when asked about preparations for detriot game in 2014 he said:We are preparing for a game against "Donkey Kong Suh" and my former college teammate, Nick Fairly. He responded like that 8 times when asked different questions.

His dancing is not a problem with me. I just think the totality of the circumstances surrounding Cam's conduct over the years culminating with his handling of the Super Bowl has caused me to lose respect for him.

you never liked him stop fronting***

Feb 10, 2016, 6:01 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"don't like certain groups of people"...u raccist?

Feb 11, 2016, 12:50 AM [ in reply to he has never been belligerent with the media... ]

Sounds raccist.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

As a Falcons fan...

Feb 10, 2016, 6:52 PM

I hope all the criticism of Cam continues. Not because I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with how he plays the game. The way he acts out there can be a catalyst for how Carolina performs. And if he's pressured to act differently out there, I'd expect it to negatively impact his game. So please continue trying to take the fun out of Cam's game.

He's an idiot. No need to say more***

Feb 11, 2016, 1:33 AM

Why

Feb 11, 2016, 6:19 AM

continue the Cam Newton worship by writing a love note in the form of an open letter on a Clemson sports forum board to a player from Florida/Auburn now playing on a Charlotte team that has ZERO former Clemson players on their roster? Maybe you, Cam and Jameis can get together and have a fun "boys will be boys" night out on the town....maybe go feed some homeless people or something.

PLEASE utilize the Panthers website for this.....and btw...

Feb 11, 2016, 7:25 AM

"open letters" are generally considered pretty lame on sports websites

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic