Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greatest 2020 ACC FB Threat/Obstacle?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Greatest 2020 ACC FB Threat/Obstacle?

Feb 18, 2020, 1:19 PM

Which ACC team has best chance to unseat Clemson (and by best I mean 10%)?
I'll go first... my top 4 "contenders" are:

North Carolina
The Tar Heels almost upset the Tigers last year in Chapel Hill, so you have to include them in this list. UNC wouldn't play Clemson until the ACC Championship Game - and that's played in Charlotte, which figures to favor the Heels. Mack Brown has been doing an excellent job of recruiting... but I just don't see it.

Miami
The Hurricanes probably have the most talented roster of any ACC team not named Clemson, so it's plausible they could upset the Tigers in the ACC CG should they meet there. That said, I'm just not sure the Canes have the coaching to even get to Charlotte. Coaching makes a difference in close games, and Miami lost plenty of those last season. I see nothing to convince me they'll win the Coastal this year, either.

Louisville
The Cardinals have an advantage that the Coastal division contenders do not: they catch the Tigers in the regular season. That might be a real advantage if the game were in the second half of the season and played in Louisville - but it's the second game... and it's in Clemson. Both teams will be coming off identical Thursday night openers, so no advantage there, either. Sorry, but no.

Virginia Tech
Despite a poor recruiting class and lots of attrition through the transfer portal, the Hokies actually have a very talented team this year. Justin Fuente got to the ACC Championship Game in his first season in Blacksburg, so he's capable of doing it again - but he's also shown a recent tendency to lose close games, which is a bad sign for such a tight division. IF the Hokies can return to Charlotte, I'd give them a [slight] chance to upset the Tigers - but they'd definitely be underdogs.

BOTTOM LINE: One more year of Another Clemson Championship...

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2020/02/can-anyone-unseat-clemson-in-2020-acc-fb.html

Who do you guys see as your top ACC "threats" (or obstacles) for 2020?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last time Clemson played UNC at the ACCCG in Charlotte

Feb 18, 2020, 1:33 PM

Clemson fans heavily outnumbered UNC fans. I don't see why playing in Charlotte would favor the Heels?

Miami, no.

Lewisville has never beaten Clemson and that won't change any time soon.

VT, lol.

The only conference game with any concern is traveling to FSU in October. Aside from that, the OOC game at Notre Dame will be a challenge and then we will probably have to play UVA a 2nd time in the ACCCG but that's no big deal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Only two of these teams are threats

Feb 18, 2020, 1:37 PM

Miami is a dumpster fire that does less with their talent than UGA. Louisville I like but is another year or two away from being good (40th ranked class won't help much).

UNC has the second-best QB in the ACC, the second-best ESPN FPI in the ACC, the second-best recruiting class in the ACC, and the second-best recruit (Desmond Evans, according to ESPN) in the country. They'll win the second-best division in the ACC and then finish second-best in the ACC. Which to be fair, would be a TERRIFIC second season for Coach Brown. Additional thing they're second-best at.

Wouldn't be surprised if VT tops UNC though. They were VERY young last year and that's the best thing going for them. Hooker is a good QB, but not likely to light up a scoreboard. They did NOT recruit well this year and Fuente has yet to show he's got full control of the team, which is why I have them behind UNC. I do think they'll turn it around though. Either that or Fuente is out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only two of these teams are threats

Feb 18, 2020, 1:44 PM

Agree on all points.

Feb 18, 2020, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Only two of these teams are threats ]

way to many second's in your post. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 10:19 AM

No doubt - Clemson is #1 in ACC football right now; everyone else is playing for 2nd place until further notice...

Re: Greatest 2020 ACC FB Threat/Obstacle?

Feb 19, 2020, 10:36 AM

Don't overlook Duke. Chase Brice was the 2nd best QB in the ACC last year. It would not surprise me to see Duke in the ACCCG.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic