Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Personal computer people, GITT and halp.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 260

Personal computer people, GITT and halp.

Mar 26, 2021, 10:01 AM

First things first, RIP Macbook. I don't wanna get into all the details, but I spent a few hours mounting/unmounting parts of the hard drive (???), erasing the hard drive, reinstalling Cajones OS, and things just got worse and worse until I hit fück it, folded the lid back 90° the wrong way, and smashed the computer across my knee. Five years of loathing, frustration, resentment, and regret expressed in a split second. Bye bye, you miserable piece of ####.

But there were important lessons in there, not least being "Never ever buy an Apple computer." I realized that all I really need a computer for is transferring files from one place to another, like from my music folder to my iPhone or from a scanner to my hard drive. The only software I ever installed on the computer that shan't be named were Chrome and a Photoshop knock-off, so my needs in this arena are not great.

At first I considered a Chromebook, but they're not that affordable compared to Windows computers, have very few inputs, and I'm really not eager to learn yet another OS. There are some solid choices in the $400 range for a Windows machine. What I'm wondering now is if I can rig up a Raspberry Pi, which I could really customize and would be simple enough for the type of things I wanna do.

Please advise. TIA.

Huggles and snuggles,

Murcielago

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JFC Murc

Mar 26, 2021, 10:07 AM

rage, much ?

Totes understand, pretty unhappy with my Dell

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: JFC Murc

Mar 26, 2021, 10:19 AM

Have you seen the NEW Macbooks?***

Mar 26, 2021, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why, are they even worse?

Mar 26, 2021, 10:10 AM

I heard they started soldering the hard drive into the computer so you can't upgrade it. In the interest of my mental health, I won't be considering new Macbooks.

This is true. New chip is supposed to be teats though, and

Mar 26, 2021, 10:17 AM

they dumped that stupid perpetually breaking keyboard. Like mine so far

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Apple OS is what I really hate.

Mar 26, 2021, 10:23 AM

I could buy one and install Windows on it, but that's what I just tried to do and it didn't end well.

I've grown used to it, but there are a few things that

Mar 26, 2021, 10:28 AM

seem really non-user-friendly, if not downright counterintuitive.

I just got rid of a $400 Dell because it took forever to

Mar 26, 2021, 10:14 AM

do anything. Spent a little more and got this Lenovo.

It has been very much worth the difference.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BB9RWXD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_JXCHZVMM8673M9KNBVRG

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Jeez man, you could buy two Dells for one of

Mar 26, 2021, 10:17 AM

Tiggity®'s weekly Publix runs.

Have a Dell laptop. Already had one hardware failure

Mar 26, 2021, 10:25 AM

Fixed it of course, but I imagine they think you will send it to them for servicing for $150 instead of ordering the part for $20 off Amazon and doing it yourself in less than 10 minutes. I dunno. Trick to making a Dell decent is removing all of their bloatware. First thing I do if I get a Dell anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bought a $400 lenovo off of Woot! that was about 4 years

Mar 26, 2021, 10:23 AM

old to use for car and boat engine diagnosis/maintenance and Garmin mapping updates. 16GB ram and 1 TB SSD later, that box is still slow as bawlz.

What do you want to know?

I'm considering an ASUS with similar specs.

Mar 26, 2021, 10:29 AM

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1584034-REG/asus_m509da_rs21_athlon_3050_4gb_1th_radn_windows_10_home_15_6_grey.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjPaCBhDkARIsAISZN7RlJ6hXflinOtH7gYDc8ocVH5wP4CjU2lJFAlQb24xxzqZPBxvfMvUaAkUhEALw_wcB

I'm trying to think outside the box a little, since my requirements are so simple. It may be that a laptop like this is the best bet.

I think 16GB RAM is a sweet spot for anything

Mar 26, 2021, 11:13 AM

That's what I have on my work Mac and personal mac, as well as that old lenovo. You'll prob have to buy two new 8GB dimms because they load them with 2 4GB DIMMS, but that would be a decent box after that.

Cheap laptops suck. We dumped ours for a Chromebook

Mar 26, 2021, 10:25 AM

for the kids.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One word - LENOVO

Mar 26, 2021, 10:26 AM

you will be happy

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

I have a Pi laying around here somewhere

Mar 26, 2021, 11:10 AM

I played with it for a while, really trying to get a N64 game emulator to work. Lienucks is not my friend - I never got it going and gave up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if it weren't for autocad and Revit

Mar 26, 2021, 11:13 AM

i'd have gotten a 'decent' ($300-$400 range) Chromebook already

Currently, working from home, I've got my 'work issued' laptop hooked up as my main computer...and my Surface Book 3 is on the corner of my desk, basically just being a Netflix/Hulu display for a year now

I'm B's deep in Google, anyway...prefer android phones...even looking at the Lenovo Duet chrome'book' to replace my iPad when it dies (will probably be soon)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 260
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic