Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If I could make the roster I would leave as a junior.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 758

If I could make the roster I would leave as a junior.

Dec 15, 2015, 7:51 PM

You can always go back to college if it doesn't work out. If I could of dropped out my junior year to make even 100k a year I would have. I went to college to get a good paying job. I'm 25 and very satisfied with my current pay, but no where near minimum nfl salary. School will always be waiting for you.

I understand guys that can move up the draft board with an extra year, but I'll take sure money over possible money any time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Re: If I could make the roster I would leave as a junior.

Dec 15, 2015, 8:00 PM

Financially speaking, if the individual thinks they can get to the 1st or 2nd round, the guaranteed money there is worth an extra year of non-paid school. If they left early and were drafted in the 6th/7th round to sign maybe a 3 year deal at substantially reduced salary, then they would have to wait until that deal expired before being able to sign a more lucrative one and that's if they played exceptionally well and didn't get injured.

In other words, unless you're going in the 1st or 2nd round, it is usually the wiser decision to stay unless you and your family are in dire financial strife.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or you end up not even making the roster...

Dec 15, 2015, 8:05 PM

and unable to go back and get more playing experience in college. Then you end up either on a practice squad or going to Canada. If you're not going in the 1st round (or maybe 2nd), then financially it's better to get more experience in college.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

You also could stay in school and get a career injury.

Dec 15, 2015, 8:09 PM

Once again that's all what ifs. I said that if I felt like i could make the roster on a team I would leave. That's money in your pocket.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

One in the hand is worth two in the bush eh?

Dec 15, 2015, 8:15 PM

I can see that making sense for a lot of people. Tajh Boyd had the opposite problem with staying. I recall him being projected higher after his junior year than after his senior year. Coming back actually hurt his chances. As you say, it's all what ifs and most variables are unknown. For me, personally, if I was playing well, but projected in a low round, it would come back to how much I believed in myself as to whether or not I left early. If I truly believed I was one of the best in the country and I just needed one more season to prove it, I would stay.

Every situation is different of course. In the end, as long as the individual is completely comfortable with the decision and has no misgivings, then good luck to them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 758
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic