Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OK, so everyone wants to keep bringing up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

OK, so everyone wants to keep bringing up

Nov 11, 2018, 3:52 PM

NFL rules on the CW hit in Anthony Brown. Hint, this is not the NFL. There are a few other ways
you can tell. The NFL requires two feet in bounds for a completion. The NFL penalizes spot of the foul for pass interference. The NFL kicks extra points from the 15 yard line. The NFL uses a two-minute warning. Is that information enough that the two games are not officated the same? Good.

Now as to CW's hit on Brown. Brown still had the ball and was attempting to throw. Wilkins was in the act of tackling, getting Brown to the ground, while Brown still had the ball. In that split second, both made decisions. Brown decided to hold the ball and try to make a play instead of throwing it away to avoid the hit. CW tried to get him down and prevent a throw, or a completion, or even put the idea in his head that the next time throwing it away would be the better option. Neither thought about injury in that split second. It's called playing football. Football is a risky sport.

I hate it when players get injured. But there is an extent to which playing the game is assuming the risk. By the way CW did postpone and even risk millions to return to CLemson for his senior year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spot on***

Nov 11, 2018, 4:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK, so everyone wants to keep bringing up

Nov 11, 2018, 4:22 PM

Let's hope A. Brown (BC's qb) did not suffer a major injury. BC's HC said he was at the hospital.

The post game comments by him were correct and complimentary of Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 4:24 PM

Don't take this the wrong way. I agree with most of your premise. I don't believe it was a dirty hit nor should it have been a penalty. I do believe he wanted to hurt the QB but I am sure he did not want to injure him and there is a difference.

Having said all that, it's an illegal hit in the NFL for a reason and that is to prevent the shoulder and other injuries such as the one that occurred last night. If it is a rule in the NFL where grown men are getting paid to do a job, it should be one in college where these kids are risking catastrophic injury to get an education. They work harder than any student works and makes money for the schools they play for.

I am not a pay for play advocate at all. I just think we should really be more concerned about their safety than an NFL QB making millions upon millions.

I do disagree with you about Wilkins ability to pull up at the end. He did not have to intentionally put all his weight on the QB. If it were a penalty in CFB, he would be taught not to do that. Again, I in no form believe he intentionally injured the QB. It's how we were taught to play back in the day. The difference is a player with the Fridge size, speed an power is no longer an oddity and we have several on our team alone.

Flame me if you want, but if there is something that can be done rather easily to protect a player, it should be done.

I bet our dads were up in arms when they outlawed clothes lining and throwing elbows way back. We would be appalled if a player did many of the things that were perfectly legal at one time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Click here to read Gabi's Story

Nov 11, 2018, 4:50 PM

I agree with you 100%. These players may not be under age, but they are still children to someone and for that reason alone there should be rules to protect them more. I am not a well, its football kind of person. I used to be, until I started seeing and hearing so many kids getting hurt. I feel a bit of heartache when players get hurt, because I put myself in the position of that kids parents, siblings, anyone who loves and cares about that player.

People can say they hope the kid is all right and has no serious injury, but to me that just feels like empty words. So if they don't have a serious injury, its OK if they are in pain? That just seems like an oxymoron to me. And I agree wholeheartedly that if multi-million dollar players are protected by a few simple rules, SURELY college kids should be too.

I love CW tenacity and agressivness, but there IS such a thing as being too agressive. Why would you WANT to put all your weight on someone? Especially someone as small as that QB was! No one in Clemson nation liked ot when the Syracuse player too that shot at TL that put him out of that game. Nobody should find joy in knocking any player out of a game. If you feel joy by that, imho, you are a bit heartless and part of a problem. I would take it one step further: why would any player want to take a player iut of a game? It would eliminate competition, then did you really win against the best version of your opponent? I surely wouldn't want that. I'd want all theor best players in the game so if I win it qould mean more that Inplayed against their best. I am referring to Syracuse with that point. I do not think CW had the mindset of knocking the player out of the game, especially one that isn't even an elite player anyway.
My thing is not q CW, it's with you makes CFB rules.
Anyway, I'm done. Now off to watch the game again because I refuse to watch NFL. Gave that up when their stupidity began w the Marxist, cop hating loser began whining like he actually has problems.

Nov 11, 2018, 4:54 PM

I apologize for the typos. Will edit next time. Just forgot to this time.

Nov 11, 2018, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: OK, so everyone wants to keep bringing up ]

If you really want to help young ones and help prevent them from getting hurt unnecessarily... TELL THEM NOT TO PLAY FOOTBALL and get degrees the hard/expensive way!

Not put all of his weight on him?

Nov 11, 2018, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: OK, so everyone wants to keep bringing up ]

We have seen CW do many things, but if he were able to stop in mid-air (think The Matrix) and somehow adjust himself to lighten impact or even click a magical button on his chest that would deflate his body in half when ALL of his weight is coming down on a QB that should have thrown the ball away - that would be really neat. But it’s not Hollywood, it’s gravity and it’s football. He just better be glad it wasn’t DL.

How exactly do you know he wanted to hurt the QB?

Nov 11, 2018, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: OK, so everyone wants to keep bringing up ]

Nov 11, 2018, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: OK, so everyone wants to keep bringing up ]

As soon as players start "pulling up" to protect other players you see missed tackles and teammates who think the runner is down and he is not and gains another 15-20 yards or God forbid completes a pass for a TD. That has happened to Clemson many times this season already. Never over/under estimate the ability of the tackler or the offensive player. Both play as hard as they can and should never intentionally hurt the other while giving 100% maximum effort. Rules can be made but players should never stop giving 100% on either side of the ball. Too many times I've seen one player ease up and get burned for a score. Or and offensive player loses focus and fumbles, misses a block, drops an easy pass, etc. etc. etc.

We had a PF penalty last game I think where the hit on the

Nov 11, 2018, 6:11 PM

QB that drew the penalty was also a hit that caused the throw to go errant - so the hit was part of the play that was actively affecting the outcome, yet the flag stood. Made no sense. CW's play yesterday factored heavily into the outcome of that play also. Football plays. We'll probably see him finish a little softer on those types of opportunities from here though. It won't fly at the next level and he doesn't deserve a bad rep in these types of things with five games left, but it was a mutual thing. CW is also freak sized and power and maybe doesn't fully know his own strengths yet.

With great power comes great responsibilities.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic