Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not a Panthers fan but why do so many on this board not like
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Not a Panthers fan but why do so many on this board not like

Dec 22, 2013, 4:51 PM

Cam Newton? He left U of F because he would have to sit behind Tim Tebow. So he transferred to a Jr. College and later signed with Auburn. I know there was lots of talk that his dad made money off of him going to Auburn, but it was never proven. Also should that be held against Cam? I know some of you will say yes, but really how many of you if true would turn your dad in to the NCAA? Other than that he has never been in trouble and is an outstanding player.... Just curious why the passion against him...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never hold it against the kids for taking money

Dec 22, 2013, 4:53 PM

I hold it against the programs for offering it. So idk.

Re: I never hold it against the kids for taking money

Dec 22, 2013, 9:47 PM

I hold it against the programs and the players. Most programs offer money in one way or the other. It is not a huge secret that it happens. Most programs have plausible deniability of it and the donors who make the payments put distance between themselves and the money. I knew two players who made more money bouncing at a night club in the off season than most people made working an entire year a good paying job.

Quick Googling pulled this up

Dec 22, 2013, 4:54 PM

"When Cameron Newton left the University of Florida it was assumed the major reason was because of his arrest on charges of stealing a laptop. According to FoxSports.com, Newton also faced a possible expulsion from school due to three separate instances of academic cheating.

The story reports Newton violated the honor code as a freshman by cheating in class. Then in his sophomore season - after his arrest - he allegedly turned in two separate papers that he did not write."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Quick Googling pulled this up

Dec 22, 2013, 5:00 PM

So you don't like him because you just found out he stole a laptop as a freshman? And he may have cheated on a paper? Or were you just providing information?

I was already aware of that stuff. Just showing you that

Dec 22, 2013, 5:08 PM

it's pretty much consensus opinion that he left due to character issues, rather than anything to do with Tebow.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay. I wasn't . I still don't think Urban would

Dec 22, 2013, 7:03 PM

have kicked him out of school.... Just look at all the arrest and cover ups at Florida during his time there...

Also Cam's dad admitted to shopping him around

Dec 22, 2013, 4:59 PM

to various programs for $$$. Not that I hold it against Cam - but I don't consider him a high character guy, regardless.

Heard an auburn fan say that

Dec 22, 2013, 5:01 PM

He bought a stolen laptop. But idk so I don't care that much.

Because his history has been that of a cheater and a

Dec 22, 2013, 5:12 PM

jacka$$.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But other than that, he's very likeable.***

Dec 22, 2013, 5:56 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If you believe Cam didn't know he was being shopped...

Dec 22, 2013, 5:28 PM

...then I've got some prime land to sell you in Florida.

Now you know how Barry Soetoro got [re]elected.***

Dec 22, 2013, 6:03 PM

Re: If you believe Cam didn't know he was being shopped...

Dec 22, 2013, 6:38 PM [ in reply to If you believe Cam didn't know he was being shopped... ]

I didn't say he didn't know I said I don't think he would turn his dad in or do I think most people would.........

He left Florida because he was caught with a stolen lap top.

Dec 22, 2013, 5:31 PM

He took 180,000 to go to Auburn. That's why. Me, anyway.

Tell you what...get him to stop posing everytime he runs for

Dec 22, 2013, 6:28 PM

a first down and I might consider it.

Sorry. Intended for that to be a response to the post below***

Dec 22, 2013, 6:33 PM

Do you really think Florida would have kicked him

Dec 22, 2013, 6:36 PM [ in reply to He left Florida because he was caught with a stolen lap top. ]

out of school? Look at all the things other players did while there without even missing a game.............

Re: Do you really think Florida would have kicked him

Dec 22, 2013, 9:38 PM

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/report-cam-newton-left-florida-after-three-charges-of-academic-cheating/1#.Urehh7RiXy4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He left Florida because he was caught with a stolen lap top.

Dec 22, 2013, 6:39 PM [ in reply to He left Florida because he was caught with a stolen lap top. ]

I don't think he got the money I think his dad's church did.......... Do you really think Urban would have kicked him out of school with all the other things players were doing on that team.........

Funny that the past is more important than the present to some of you...

Dec 22, 2013, 5:37 PM

Yea, he might have some things in his past he's not proud of but who doesn't? The important thing is what is he doing now. He's been a model citizen since he's been with the Panthers. Has stayed out of the limelight and it seems like he's at a different charity each day of the week. All the while leading the Panthers to the playoffs. Some of you need to quit hating and give the man his due.

Screw him - he's never owned up to some of that as far as I

Dec 22, 2013, 6:01 PM

know. Besides, he's still a jacka$$.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Screw him - he's never owned up to some of that as far as I

Dec 22, 2013, 6:39 PM

in a way he did kinda own up to it......he was already scheduled to go before a disciplinary/ethics board and had not even registered for the spring term but ran off to another school. That speaks of guilt

Re: Not a Panthers fan but why do so many on this board not like

Dec 22, 2013, 5:45 PM

your theory does not make sense. He would have had to sit behind Tebow one more year. By "transferring" he still had to sit out one more year or play at a jr college (which he did) that no one cared about.

He was arrested for stealing another students laptop, then was going to be expelled for 3 cheating instances.

My problem with him, but more with Auburn, is for taking all the thugs and cheaters into their program.

And if you think he did not know about his dad selling him....well, I don;t know what to say.

That about sums it up perfectly.***

Dec 22, 2013, 6:29 PM

He has a shady past but

Dec 22, 2013, 5:46 PM

Anyone who follows the Panthers has watched him grow as a manned up the last few years. He still annoys me sometimes with the first point sign, but he's grown into a true team player.

When he first arrived in Carolina he put all the pressure on his shoulders to be great, but over time his coaches have leveled him out & he's matured drastically. He knows it's not about him, it's about what he can do for the team. I love Cam Newton because he puts his heart into it & leaves it all out there on the field. I hardly hear him talking trash & he does a ton of charity work around the Charlotte area too.

Vert talented immodest and low character playa who can ball***

Dec 22, 2013, 6:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2013, 7:20 PM

I don't like the panthers because they have north carolina blue as one of their colors and i hate everything associated with unc.

I don't really like the guy either.

Dec 22, 2013, 8:15 PM

I'm a diehard Cowboys fan but when I was around 7, the Panthers came along. I went to a couple games when they played their home games in DV. I always looked at them as my #2 team but that went out the door when they drafted Scam. He has low character and has a big ego. He comes off cocky and I'm not a big fan of show boating. That team is having success this year due more to their D than Newton. That D is nasty. Kuechly is a special player.

I have no problem with the "showboating"

Dec 22, 2013, 8:57 PM

Not only do I feel like it is part of the swagger and emotion of his game that I enjoy watching. I also see it as a personal FU to all the people that said he would never make it in the NFL or be able to run on defenses like he did in college. The plays he makes sometimes are nothing short of amazing. I kind of feel the same way about Cam haters as I do Lebron haters. Shut up and watch greatness or you'll miss it.

Cam represents much of what is wrong with college football.

Dec 22, 2013, 9:28 PM

He and his father willingly cheated the system and made a mockery of those who are honest in the college football system. He likely misrepresented the facts on his recruitment. Some say there is no evidence. However there is a significantly high suspicion of dishonesty on his and his fathers part. He is guilty is the publics eye and the public is probably right. This is why people don't like him. He is Cam the Scam.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Immature, show boat.***

Dec 22, 2013, 9:33 PM

nm

Dec 22, 2013, 9:37 PM

One of my customers is a huge Auburn supporter. He told me "there is no doubt in my mind we paid Cam to play for us." He went on to say "I do not care if we get caught down the road and get put on probation, we still got a national championship."

The things Cam has done for a positive...

Dec 22, 2013, 10:02 PM

...FAR outweigh anything that negative that he's done. It just goes to show how much the haters are reaching that they have to bring up stuff from 4+ years ago as to why he's somehow a bad guy. Rational people will look at what he's doing today...

Hope all that hate makes you feel real good about yourselves...

Hey, kids!

Dec 22, 2013, 10:50 PM

Do you want to become a rich and famous athlete who has the opportunity to "give back" by bestowing your aura of celebrity on more kids like yourselves? I'm here to tell you that as long as you're born with lots of athletic talent and the the right genetics (which you probably don't have, since I'm visiting you in a hospital or you're poor enough to be accepting free food from me), you can break laws and cheat and still achieve all your dreams!

Not only can you become a professional athlete despite being caught with other people's laptops and throwing them out the window hoping the police won't notice, but you can also avoid any repercussions on the way to a national championship when your family tries to make money off of your college recruitment! Once your performance and ability to make other people money has made everybody forget all the rules you broke on your way, doing charitable work will allow you to tell anybody who remembers all that stuff that they're just "haters" who are living in the past.

Isn't that great?

Seriously, though, I have a hard time looking at Cam Newton and thinking "gee, I really want to cheer for that guy" when I know all the stuff he did to get where he is. I also wonder what everybody would be saying if/ when the whole athletics thing stops working out. Without the God-given talent, he'd just be the guy who was nearly expelled from Florida and whose father shopped him around for outrageous sums of money during his recruitment. And while he can certainly redeem himself over time, there are plenty of other athletes who didn't engage in all this malfeasance that are much more worthy of our attention. He's just a much more talented Stephen Garcia.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^POTD^^^^

Dec 23, 2013, 1:06 AM

+1

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just wanna point out most of the above "charity work"

Dec 23, 2013, 12:11 AM [ in reply to The things Cam has done for a positive... ]

seems to be glorified photo-ops... which is fine, I guess, but also pretty self-aggrandizing.

Re: The things Cam has done for a positive...

Dec 23, 2013, 11:28 AM [ in reply to The things Cam has done for a positive... ]

I am not saying Cam is a bad person. Some of the most evil people in history ran good P.R. campaigns and had their pictures taken doing "good works in public places."
Cam might or might not be genuine, I will definitely give him the benefit of the doubt. There are definitely two faces of Cam Newton. Anyone remember hearing some of his interviews where he was talking about the NCAA investigation? He was 100% arrogant and came off to be a complete jack ###. He has repeatedly clashed with the NFL over flagrant rules violations about sponsors and dress code.

How much charity work do you do again?

Dec 22, 2013, 11:04 PM

It is a good thing nobody exposes your favorite football player else you would not be able to root for them anymore because of your witch-hunting sense of moral justice. Glad most people judge people by the good they do and not the bad. Pretty sure if you summed anyone up to the things they stole, the people they lied to or the rules they cheated they would look like total douches too, including you and me. Hating a kid because he stole a laptop when he was 18 or 19 and cheated on a test is pretty petty professional football player or not.

Let's be clear about what we're talking about...

Dec 22, 2013, 11:37 PM

We're talking about cheering for, and holding up as a role model, a guy who's well known because of his athletic talent. We're talking about cheering for a guy who has become rich and famous because of his athletic talent, but despite his character. His character thus far has been mostly demonstrably bad, whether in nearly being expelled from Florida (for things that probably would've caused somebody with lesser gifts to be expelled much sooner), being associated with his father's attempts to profit from his recruitment, or in skulking around on the sideline when his team is struggling.

A lot of people are going to look at a person like that and think, "gosh, aren't there other people who didn't so irresponsibly take advantage of their athletic gifts that I can cheer for?" A lot of people are also going to look at that person and the people cheering for him and wonder if his past behavior isn't just being ignored because of his current success. And it's going to take more than just a couple of years of success on the field and good behavior off of it to convince those people that they should be cheering for Cam Newton.

I also find it pretty ridiculous to imply that charity work makes all your bad behavior ok. In the absence of any kind of penance, and after already getting to the top of the mountain, "giving back" is pretty easy. I hope that Cam improves his attitude and continues to stay on the straight and narrow, but I'm going to reserve treating him as a sports hero until he proves this is who he really is and acknowledges how he got there.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meanwhile, at camcgee's...

Dec 22, 2013, 11:59 PM

So basically you didn't want to actually

Dec 23, 2013, 12:08 AM

respond to what he wrote, so you decided to go with a lazy "computer geek" ad hominem?

For the record, I don't care much one way or the other about Cam Newton.

i think camgee pretty much handed them their arses...

Dec 23, 2013, 12:11 AM

and i don't have a dawg in this fight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So basically you didn't want to actually

Dec 23, 2013, 12:56 AM [ in reply to So basically you didn't want to actually ]

Lol, I'm sorry was a response needed? I thought the picture pretty much said it all...

I'll just say this, to think that Cam got to where he is today purely on a little athletic ability, stealing laptops and his dad taking money for his recruitment is completely fuc*ing ridiculous.

Everybody has things in their past that they're not proud of. To put Cam Newton or any athlete for that matter up on a pedestal like they're suppose to be Mother Teresa and then proceed to sh*t on them because they're not is a complete farce. Especially when the person doing the sh*tting is far from a Mother Teresa themselves I'm sure...

The bottom line is, if Cam was a guy of bad character, him becoming a multi-millionaire star NFL QB would have exposed it. Instead, it's done the exact opposite. Whatever people thought about Cam when he was in college, can't deny what he's doing right now in the NFL and if they do, it clearly exposes them for what they are...haters...

First step in rehab is admitting you did something wrong

Dec 23, 2013, 10:42 AM

Soon as he does that, then people can look at who he is.

Unfortunately, he wont do that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not saying anyone should look up to Cam Newton

Dec 23, 2013, 12:32 AM

Or any athlete as a role model. Pretty much everyone has a right to choose their own role models and they probably shouldn't be people you have never met. But choosing to dislike a man based on what you have read on the Internet is petty. Feel free to go through life with the "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys and that never changes" mentality. The lines are generally more blurred than that. As it stands Cam has probably already done more charity work, even if just for photos, than most people in either Carolina. There are plenty of high paid athletes with bad reputations that never find themselves at these so-called photo-oppurtunities. Maybe you should go visit a few hospital beds before you critisize someone else for doing it.

Dec 23, 2013, 7:29 AM

People hate on other people that are successful.

It makes them feel better about themselves.

I personally just don't like his demeanor and lack of energy

Dec 23, 2013, 8:04 AM

on the field. Just seems very lackadaisical. Want him to lead.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll admit, i couldn't stand him in college. As a Panther

Dec 23, 2013, 10:05 AM

fan, i've learned to like the kid....he's matured, he's tough as hell, and he's been a good citizen and the team seems to love him. And he's got my Panthers headed to the playoffs so all is well for me...LOL. Seriously though, the kid has grown up a lot and is a crazy talent. I like the fire he plays the game with and I'd be willing to bet you that he'd like a do over on a lot of stuff from his past, as we all would.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was proven that Cecil asked for money from AU and MSU

Dec 23, 2013, 10:55 AM

but they didn't prove that Cam knew about it. Cecil was prevented from being near the program for the SECCG (I think BCS) and other team events.

I dont like his smugness

Dec 23, 2013, 11:22 AM

And he beat us

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic